1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1939 coleman 500 with L- shaped burner lever

Discussion in 'Coleman No:500' started by whitegas, Jun 18, 2012.

1. whitegas Canada

1340038201-IMG_0047_opt_2_.jpg 1340038251-IMG_0048_opt_2_.jpg 1340038300-IMG_0050_opt.jpg 1340038679-IMG_0051_opt.jpg 1340038736-IMG_0053_opt.jpg Last of the L- shaped levers

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. magikbus

magikbus United States Subscriber

Nice B 39....The L shaped levers seem to crop up on assorted stoves in the years 1938 and 1939. I've got a couple of them with "different" levers according to Terry Marsh. He's also found a couple of others with levers that don't seem to match the "rule". Could be they were retrofitted or more likely they ran out of the other one at the factory and just fitted what they had. Coleman was like that.
    Stan

3. whitegas Canada

Such is the case with Optimus going from the 11 to the 111 .Jim

4. magikbus

Btw...you should contact Terry regarding your 39, he's keeping track of the pre 1940 model 500 stoves and there's only a few of them known to still exist. They were built only in Canada before the patent was secured which was in 1940.
    Stan

5. whitegas Canada

Yes I know, I am familiar with these stoves,I did contact Terry after purchasing this stove a couple of years back, also sent him a picture, he said he had only seen one other like it , but never updated the survey. Thanks Stan , have seen your stove as well-very nice . I love the 500 stove , tough ,safe ,dependable,easy to light, and the greatest simmer of any stove, used my 1949 one for winter camping this year, it worked flawlessly.Jim.

6. magikbus

Yup, mine is almost a daily user during the summer acting as a separate gas burner on my pellet bbq.

I'm currently restoring a Coleman 454, which is the predecessor to the 500's. Coleman made them for 2 years in the early 30's. Based on a quicklite lamp tank if I'm not mistaken.

The history of Coleman stuff is fascinating.
    Stan

7. magikbus

I should have said the 454 was based on the CQ lamp fount.
    Stan

8. whitegas Canada

Ah yes the one with the colac brown finish? I have a stove on Terry's site three down from the 454 example , I could see myself wanting one of those, they don't come up often though. Jim

9. magikbus

Nice, the 2E. I've never been into the larger stoves so when I found the 381B (under canadian stoves) I traded it away to Jan in Port Moody.

Here's a pic of my 454 as found. As you can see I'm looking for a new/used valve wheel LOL
    Stan 1340237880-PICT3679.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  10. whitegas Canada

I started off collecting 2 burners but have since gotten into the smaller 1 burner Swedish stoves , thats a whole other can of worms. What burner regulator and generator does the 454 take? Is it a 500? If so I have a parts 500 that the tank leaks ,is bulged at the bottom so it rocks like a rocking chair .I did get a nice, rare ,windshield with it so no big loss. Do you want the generator and control knob? It's not perfect but will do. Jim

11. whitegas Canada

Or maybe that is the same set-up as the handy gas plant 457 In which case I have an extra one of those as well. You can have either.

12. magikbus

Let me look into it, I'm not sure what setup is involved. I know the generator is vastly bigger than the 500, but I'm not sure how it compares to the 457.

I could always take pics of the pieces and show you and you could let me know. I could also take measurements.
    Stan

13. whitegas Canada

Yes get both and we'll take from there .Jim

14. magikbus

Here's the generator from the 454. It's pricker is missing and it's a bit beat up but it's huge and as such will be very easy to clean.
    Stan

1340289747-PICT4382.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  15. whitegas Canada

Well,well,isn't life funny.The generator/control knob you are looking for is neither a 500 set-up or a handy gas plant set-up,the answer is in this very Coleman 1939 post. Remember in this post you said Coleman was famous for re-using old parts for other products or something to that tune?. You were right.I recognized the burner from your picture is the same as my 9E also mentioned in this post. The generator picture you sent me also looks very similar to the 9E generator/control knob set-up.The housing that the generator tip goes into also looks similar to the 9E. Coleman re-used parts but re-labelled them as different part no.s. For example part no. 454-256 and 454-262 which is the control knob part no.and generator part no. for your stove, would be re-labelled as 410-256 and 410-262 for another stove , sometimes with some subtle differences but usually with the same measurements. Google Coleman catalogue no. 22 and you will see the set-up for my 9E and your 454 ,as they are stoves from the same years, and see they are the same parts just re-labelled. I think I have the complete generator/knob set-up, but, this was going to be used to fettle my 1927 9C, which is the same set-up only minus the black knob,cause the 9C was controlled by a steel key. This would entail me knocking the knob off revealing the proper part for the key underneath.

16. whitegas Canada

Look at the gypsy model 10 stove, my 9E picture, and the model 373 example, all on the same page as the model 454 on Terry's site. All the same generator/knob/housing set-ups. Jim

17. whitegas Canada

What is the measurement from the gas tip housing to the bend in the generator? 15.5 mm ? the shaft approx. 1cm or roughly 3/8ths?

18. whitegas Canada

Correction, sorry thats 17.5 cm from gas tip to bend. Your generator should have 7 steel rods inside the shaft as opposed to the corkscrew type.

19. magikbus

Sorry, you've lost me?? My generator inside rod is a single rod as shown in the picture. Not sure what you mean by 7 steel rods?
    Stan

What I did discover is that the "tip" shown in the picture that used to have the pricker in it, unscrews! How about that. That rod that I thought was the center rod of the generator is hollow.

20. magikbus

You are right, the Gypsy and the 9E both look to have the same generators and burners as the 454.
    Stan