1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1939 coleman 500 with L- shaped burner lever

Discussion in 'Coleman No:500' started by whitegas, Jun 18, 2012.

1. magikbus

magikbus United States Subscriber

I couldn't find the Coleman catalog no.22 but did find the old coleman papers and in them the parts list and suggestions for the 2E and 9E stoves.

In them a tantalizing hint and I quote

"Cause -Bent or broken Cleaning Needle. Remedy - remove generator regulating stem and install a new Needle and holder, then replace in generator"

I wonder if this means the little nipple end on the regulating stem that I found tonight (which unscrews), is in reality the "Needle holder" and can be bought to renew my generator??????

Wow, that would be wonderful because that's all that's wrong with my generator, a broken needle. I might even be able to drill out my existing holder and replace the needle with a bit of guitar string (steel) like the English do to make prickers for their swedish stoves. I'd bet common solder could be used to hold it in place because it wouldn't get too hot what with fuel passing by it all the time anyway.
    Stan.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

"... like the English do to make prickers for their Swedish stoves" Stan said.

We Brits have been known to tinker with Coleman 500's left over here by Allied forces during the war too ...

Coleman 500 generator pricker wire

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. whitegas Canada

Where there's a will there's a way at it's best. Thanks John. Stan I think this is what you're looking for -minus the cleaning needle- it's on another stove presently. 1340376680-IMG_0063_opt.jpg 1340376587-IMG_0064_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  4. whitegas Canada

The seven steel rods surround the needle control stem inside the generator shaft and help atomize the fuel. It's either this ,which would be correct for the period, or the spiral/corkscrew type diffuser.Both of these options also keep the needle shaft/stem centered in the generator shaft.Jim

5. whitegas Canada

6. magikbus

magikbus United States Subscriber

Thanks for the pics Jim....mine didn't have either the steel rods or the corkscrew arrangement. I can't see any room for either in the tube but I haven't given it a good cleaning out yet. I'll do a heat and quench treatment a few times first.

I see old coleman parts has one on sale for around $40 so I'll probably go for that one. I figure it's a sufficiently rare enough stove to spend a little cash on.

I do have an Optimus 123 stove minus the wind shield part and the cup that I'd be willing to trade for one. The little 123 has one tab on the flame dish gone, but fixed with a wire. It works great.
    Stan