1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s -1960s RM I PINT STOVE

Discussion in 'RM MFG & Engineering Co Ltd' started by kaw550red, Dec 14, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red United Kingdom Subscriber

PREVIOUS

The stove tank is still imprinted but is put into a very attractive lithographed tin.

This stove is plain brass which was the commonest finish on the stove. This combination of stove and tin started at some time fairly early in the fifties and continued into the sixties. During the fifties paraffin stoves sales were still buoyant so makers could afford to embellish the tanks and use more expensive boxes

1260790142-RM_ass_opt.jpg 1260790156-RM_flame_opt.jpg 1260790168-RM_pack_opt.jpg 1260790200-Tin_opt.jpg

VERITAS SAME

NEXT

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Interesting tin Bryan. The one I have has the same picture but gold on red with RM in the top corners (same place as the V logo on the Veritas version).

First time I've seen a Veritas tin so obviously doctored with a RM decal over the Veritas litho'd text.

3. kaw550red

Hi Ross

Thanks. The tin has been bothering me but I could not work out why and I sold the stove some time ago so could not check the tin properly

My memory of the three tins was that the graphics on all tins was identical except for the brand name. The RM lid was red, the Thermidor lid was green and the Veritas lid was brown.

It is purely a coincidence that I had the complete sequence of this model. It was nothing that I did intentionally. In fact I did not realise that the complete sequence was there until I sorted the stoves into order for putting the topics on the site

Regards Bryan

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

My example has the same stove (same stampings etc etc) as yours but slightly different tin as mentioned

1260892969-002.jpg 1260892976-003.jpg

Maybe, but I'd say that's the rust! The actual colour is gold on black I believe.

1260892943-001.jpg

5. kaw550red

Hi Ross

My "Thermidor" tin has been bothering me. I was going to ask you to confirm the colour. RM Tin I had a Thermidor in an RM tin. One of these days you may, but only may, give me some good news about tins.

Anyhow my Veritas was in the right tin Veritas but 1 out of three is pathetic. I must have had my eyes closed when selling them

I wonder if the tins were ''borrowed" between the three brands when Thermidor or RM were short. Two out three seems a very high incidence of cuckoo stoves

Regards Bryan

6. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Mmmm, depends on their background. When I was in the scouts I don't recall that we were ever too careful about putting the right stoves back in the right tins when we broke camp. We'd had our fun whilst camping so packing everything up afterwards was just a chore to either be avoided or done as quickly as possible!

Cheers, Graham.

7. kaw550red

Hi Graham

Whilst the tins are not in perfect condition they are largely undinted. Those that I have seen from scout troops and outdoor activity centres had numerous dints in them and often had the tin seams split. However the stoves could have been used by a careful group

Regards Bryan