1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1961- S H & S Stove.

Discussion in 'Samuel Heath & Sons' started by jonathan fairbank, May 28, 2014.

1. jonathan fairbank

Hi,

I've been helped on by Trevor, Derek and Ross, with getting an old stove back up & running, it's been really interesting just seeing how these can be made to work again; though I was a bit skeptical it'd ever be frying eggs again, the state I got it in.

The legs and the burner were the worse to fettle up properly, but along the way, I learned some new things, & was quite amazed at how easy just lighting the stove, could be.

The paraffin gives off a different odour, when it's not being confined within a mantle, it's more pleasant, and similar to ethanol or even after shave, funnily enough.

I'd really just to replace the two heatproof washers, sandwiching the burner, then clean & situate the inner silent burner cup, Derek turned up trumps with :thumbup: Cheers.

The only gripe (which was my own fault), was I accidentally damaged the black & orange sticker, that covered the brand makers stamp. It was rather snazzy looking, & made the whole Stoves overall picture, that bit much better.

Here's the photo's, I'll load what can be allowed ?

1401230517-DSCN1744.JPG

Showing the 'inner cup' & base polish up, ect

1401230607-DSCN1755.JPG

then the only viewable 'heatproof' washer, the other is under the spirit cup...

1401230748-DSCN1750.JPG

The pan rest grill, from above...

1401230889-DSCN1745.JPG

& lastly the brand stamp insignia ...

1401231107-DSCN1741.JPG

Voila ! but I'd best add another of the Stove, during operation, unless not 5, but 6 is the max photo capability ? Better not risk it, I'll add it in a jiffy, but my thanks again to all already noted, it'd still be sat in a box, filthy, if not for your good intervention.

I'm looking for something similar, size-wise, again now, and would like to try finding something possibly all chromed ?

Would there be less or none at all, of the steel tanked varieties, owing to 'spark' risk, ect ?

Cheers :content: :thumbup: again.

Jon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. jonathan fairbank

Here it is 'in burn'. The camera had to be altered to 'flash' as the first I took (not included) looked a bit like Darth Vader smoking a large Hamlet :) .... .

1401232585-DSCN1834.JPG

1401232686-DSCN1738.JPG

1401232743-DSCN1833.JPG

Jon :thumbup: .

3. Gneiss United Kingdom

That's a great job you've done there... :thumbup:

4. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day . I normally am not a big fan of lots of shine but this is stunning, absolutely bloody beautiful :!: :!: :thumbup: :thumbup: excellent job :D/ congratulations :clap: :clap: do you have a before photo, :?: :?:
    cheers
    kerry

5. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

That's a beauty, to be sure. What treatment did you give the pan?

6. jonathan fairbank

Thanks for that Gneiss. I get a bit mixed up with every ones names but I think you'd also offered your help, possibly loading some links or photos of some Stoves etc.

Sorry for not mentioning this, I'm just a bit dateless, that's all. Ta !

Jon :thumbup:

7. jonathan fairbank

Cheers Kerry, A bit of a 'damp squid' answer, but the critter I first received, wasn't photographed, prior the finished fettle. It's part of the condition (conditioning the general condition ;) ) though I did take a few part way through, for order illustration purposes, etc.

I was real glad there was no hidden issues, still presenting, dragging out the full fettle & repair. PPhhewwww ! Was sort of out of my comfort zone with this stove being my first (burn dynamics, etc.) though some safety advice had been kindly forwarded me re- "not adding Naptha to kero with stoves" :thumbup:

1401240323-DSCN1722.JPG

1401240401-DSCN1712.JPG

The mastic nozzle was a good help, for a better grip whilst fettling, hand to hand, etc, but the first shot of the base really just shows the feet to the legs still tarnished up 'as was'.

Jon :) .

8. jonathan fairbank

Hi,
    Thanks for the praise,
    A basic hot soapy wash, then some cheap Brillo pads (numerous attempts at it), then an acetic dip, just before a 0000 wire wool & Bar Keepers Soap app; doubling that up 'again', to get it 'uniform', then the same grade wool, only using Solvo Autosol paste, next run.

A good hot 'soap up' again, & dry off, then straight into a good intense polishing, with a brand of cotton wadding known in the UK (possibly the same further a far) as Brasso.

I don't use machinery, just the ol' manual graft and then the rotary drill, when not much else will get it clear, ect

Jon, :thumbup: Nice one !

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

"Shine, shine, O new Jerusalem", as the angel cried! 8)

10. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Sweden Moderator

No worries there!
    You are allowed to upload 50 photos here, so it's not very likely you'll reach the maximum level in one post. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Jonathan, Lovely stove and great fettle.

I believe that SH and S made many stoves for MoD as well as for the civilian market:

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/4082

It was great that they dated at least some of their stoves.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Hello Jon

I am so pleased you persevered with the fettle.

It is now working well and looks wonderful.
    1355253984-Bravo.jpg

13. jonathan fairbank

Hi Trevor,

Yes, I was bemused myself that it's finally working again; I felt like shelving it, occasionally but it's a good feeling isn't it, seeing something re-newed again. I'd caught glimpses of lanterns/ lamps & stoves, through out the younger years of life, & was always caught, be it 'glancingly', on how just so 'neat' they were.

"Tatty or gleaming", it makes no matter, so long as they actually do the heating & lighting business, safely. I'll be frying a breakfast outdoors, soon, I'm flapping to test 'just' how hot the cooking oil becomes (as there's no up & down setting, facilitating that) ?

Mushrooms, Sausages, Tommies & Eggs, in that order (throw mushies back in, second time to re-heat).

Cheers then, :thumbup:

Jon.

14. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Hi Jon

You mention that there is no up and down for the flame.
    Fortunately there is.
    Get the stove going with a good strong flame.
    Then if you need less heat all you have to do is use the air screw on the filler cap to release a bit of the pressure and the flame will lower (don't forget to tighten it again!).
    In fact you should be able to lower the flame enough to produce a good 'simmer' in whatever pan you use.
    Of course, if you need the flame stronger, then just apply a few pump strokes.

If when lowering the flame, you lower it too much and the flame goes out, just give a few pump strokes and apply a light to the burner and it will light again.

15. Stonehopper

Stonehopper United Kingdom Subscriber

Well done Jonti, having polished it up that much I was frit you wouldn't light it!!

Looks great. As Trevor says, flame adjustment is a doddle by releasing some air until the flame reduces to the required level then closing the air again to keep the new level (simmer or whatever is chosen). To increase just pump her up a bit. No need for control knobs and the like. Simples!

16. jonathan fairbank

He he, Trevor, thanks for that tip :oops: , that makes sound sense, I'll try it out (I don't go for shell skin on my eggs, ect).

I'm having a starting problem with the stove, after it takes the first ten pumps ! It now takes about a minute, before the blue flame jets through the perforated top dome cap. I'm also concerned that it's doing this now, habitually; it tends to splutter and nearly 'go out', as it's cranking itself into proper functioning.

Could this be that the central gas tip, has some muck in it, or is this behavior the standard to any light up, initially getting it going ?

I've seen the tapered steel 'prickers' for sale, do I really need one of these; I mean I just don't know if that small jet passage is completely clear. It does seem to be, because every perforation, when its running, is emitting blue flame :?:

Cheers, Jon.

17. jonathan fairbank

Plenty spare then Christer, ta very much for the info :thumbup: .

Jon :) .

18. jonathan fairbank

Cheers for the extra's here, I'll be having a dabble again, soon, but I'll be trying the pressure release/ lower flame (outside), only if the mornings get nicer, as an early morning fry up, usually paves a robust path, for the day ahead.

I'm after another stove, same size-ish, but chrome finished . . . . . these may be hard to find, but I'll keep searching, ect :thumbup: .

Jon.

19. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Stunning finish on your stove. Very nicely done.

sam

20. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Jon, it is a good idea to have some prickers to remove any debris that can block the jet! Also, when starting the stove, do you give it a full pre-heat? It is also a good idea to start with a smaller flame (two to three pumps, on a low fuel lever maybe one or two more) and give the burner some extra time to heat up. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Wim