1970s ALP LPG STOVE & LIGHT

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by kaw550red, Jun 26, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

I bought and used these appliances in the late 1970s

1246005773-Alp_Apps_ass_opt.jpg [ 1246005806-Alp_heater__opt.jpg 1246005830-Alp_Apps_pack_opt.jpg

The fittings were well designed. The clam shell top and bottom of the stove and light had identical holes in them and were used as spanners to assemble the appliances. The light had a gauze circle on top of the mantle. This converted the heat into radiant heat so the light was also classed as a heater. It was very advanced for its day in that it had a plastic tube which slipped over the glass to protect it when being carried. That tube also formed a stand for the light when it was in use. I think that the Gaz glass is original as I cannot remember ever breaking the glass. The Primus gas light that I had made no provision for protecting the light glass and I often broke those

The attachment in the middle was an extra allowing you to use two appliances off one cartridge OR a Camping Gaz butane cylinder. Whilst it was a good idea it was made out of a steel block rather than the aluminium used in the other fittings. The connections and screwed into the block and cemented in place so using the steel for the block seems odd.

The cartridge is from the same period. In those days the cartridges only contained butane which gives problems in low temperatures. I think that I stopped using them about 1979 because I definitely was not using them in 1980. Towards the end of their use experimental butane/propane cartridges were being introduced although I cannot remember any noticeable improvement in performance despite the extra cost of the mixed gas cartridges

The cartridge had originally been priced at £0.50 but the shop had stuck a £1.50 price sticker over the original priced.

The cartridge is a tinware can rather than the spun aluminium cartridge of today

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Neil B

Really interesting, a mate of mine showed me a stove like that only last saturday, he keeps it in his rucksack as an emergency stove. It's very small and light and will take a small butane/propane cartridge. He could not recall the make, only that he bought it in Aviemore many years ago. I thought to myself that i have to get one, so thanks for letting me know what i've got to look for.

Neil

3. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Neil

I think that the stove may have also been sold as a Vango stove although that may be because Vango were the sole distributors for ALP at least when the adaptor was sold.

I think that it was also sold in USA with the aluminium clamshells coloured, yellow if I remember correctly

Regards Bryan

4. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

The stove was sold in the USA as the Hank Roberts mini stove and also rebranded by Gerry. I've not seen the dual hose anywhere else. Ian worked up a coversion for the Hank Roberts to use a modern gas cylinder and the results are somewhere on this site.

5. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Ross had one or parts of one of these stoves for sale at Newark if my memory serves me right!

Si

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

It doesn't - it was it's big brother, the 8100. Still got it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Spiritburner

I thought they were similar but unconnected?

8. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

I have an ALP 7000 that was highly modified by some unsung genius, it came with a optimus 77 kit. works very well !
    Link

9. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Ross

The Hank Roberts stoves that I have seen are either made by ALP or are very good copies of those stoves.

I think but am not certain that I have also seen them sold as Vango stoves which may be misleading as Vango were Sole UK distributors of the ALP stoves and spare parts.

The UK part of the distributor description suggests that they may have also been exported.

I am not certain where the idea came from but I was under the impression that part of the stove was patented but I cannot find any basis for this opinion

This is the marking under an unused stove

1246356933-7000_engraving_opt.jpg

It is not very distinct but it says MADE BY ALLANTER LEISURE PROD LTD LONDON ENG MOD NO 7000 BUTANE Under that there are two letters BR which were probably the beginning of BRITISH MADE.

My original stove had no markings on it

Bajabum. That is a very neat modification on the 7000 and I like your workshop

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  10. Spiritburner

Not sure how to read that - some were made by ALP & some were copies - or if not made by ALP they were good copies?

There's a Hank Roberts/Gerry half way down this page. It doesn't look like the ALP variants I've seen. I appreciate they are the same type of stove & share a lot of similarities.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93108

11. Calum

Ahhh, we have one of those stoves in the garage! It is what my dad replaced the RM with when he needed a small lightweight stove. It really is small and lightweight, and has performed very very well indeed over the years, much better than many modern gas stoves. Over the years the pipe attachment has disappeared and so only the side fitting (narrow) canisters can be used, but that is no problem at all (they are easier to carry backpacking etc anyway!

Only thing is, the burner just disintegrated a couple of years ago now, and I keep meaning to make a new one for it!

He always told me it was a Vango stove so I presume he bought it as such? I'll get it out soon and take some piccies!

12. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Ross, I just assumed the Gerry was just a rebranded Hank Roberts since they were the same. Maybe not? Lately I've been feeling a need to burn some gas, too busy to play with fire.

13. straight cut

I have a 7000 which i purchased in the 80s for £8.50 still going strong appart from the supply hose which i replaced as it was crispy.
    I still have the oe instruction sheet and box front.