1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

425B Never fired up!

Discussion in 'Coleman No:425' started by bjork2, Feb 12, 2012.

1. bjork2

I found this 425B on Craigslist not 1 mile from my house. Never fired up, still in opened box. Sitting in a barn for 50+ years. Some water / rust damage on the right side leg and top.

Two questions:
    1) The 425B had a smaller second run in the early sixties correct? And did it have a red tank at this time? Or is this tank not original? My fathers has the copper tank.

2) I'm thinking of taking off the rust but not painting over. What coating should I put on it?

So I was looking for a replacement grate for my Dad's stove. Now I'll just borrow this one:)

1329060969-IMG_0121.jpg

1329060991-IMG_0128.jpg

1329061001-IMG_0130.jpg

1329061008-IMG_0131.jpg

1329061016-IMG_0132.jpg

1329061030-IMG_0133.jpg

1329061039-IMG_0134.jpg

1329061057-IMG_0135.jpg

1329061069-IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

My 425 from the early 70's has a red tank like the one shown.

3. bjork2

But this is a b model

4. linux_author

linux_author United States Subscriber

love the heavy grate!

5. Sparky

Bjork2, Mine is the E model from 1971. It has the same shaped fuel tank as yours. Yours may have had a tank of another color but I have never seen the shape shown on your instruction sheet any color but red. However, a can of spray paint will allow you to achieve any color you choose for it.

6. bjork2

Check techie's post 222217. The copper tank is the one I know for the 425b.

7. Sparky

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. bjork2

Yeah, I guess the later ones were red. At least 1957 apparently.

9. Sparky

I went over to Coleman Collectors forum and asked about the type and color of the 425B and the consensus was that it could be either, depending on the exact year. However, the copper colored tank was not Everdure, or silicon bronze, it was painted steel. They seemed to believe the original tank shape is the "torpedo" shape, not the "cylindrical" shape.

10. bjork2

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. Centuryhouse United States

I have a 425b that has a red tank as well.

Great find btw, it blows my mind to see a stove of that age still in the box. Great, isn't it? :p

12. user4096

It's hard to tell colors from the photos you supplied, as different digital cameras have different color profiles and different computer monitors render colors differently. The parts list for the Coleman 425B lists "Forest Green" lacquer, P/N 8B119 and "Red" lacquer, P/N 8B147 as the colors used on this stove. The green color on the 425 series from 1976 on was changed to "Fount Green", P/N 8B242, according to the Coleman 425E parts list.

I have a 424 Dual Fuel stove that I purchased new in the 1990s, and the manual doesn't list any paint at all; an inquiry to Coleman went unanswered. However, by taking the stove to my local Ace Hardware store, I selected ACE Premium Enamel aerosol spray #1037589, "Hunter Green Gloss". According to the store clerk, this paint is manufactured for ACE Hardware by Krylon Products Group. A test sample sprayed on a piece of card stock matched my stove spot-on when examined in daylight.

Paint names aren't color specifications, and paints of the same name can vary significantly from one vendor to another. If you can't get the exact lacquer that Coleman used, try matching it visually to a good quality enamel or lacquer from another source, regardless of the name on the can. If you have partial color blindness, get a friend with normal color vision to do it for you, or see if you can find a store that has a colorimeter that can print out the CMYK values of paint samples, not just give the proprietary latex wall paint product numbers for a particular company.

13. Dutch_Peter

Dutch_Peter Netherlands Subscriber

A very effective, cheap, and ancient method for rust prevention is to use linseed oil.
    There's raw and boiled linseed oil; both have advantages and disadvantages. Please Google for linseed+oil+rust+prevention and you'll find plenty of references !!

Linseed oil works by going into the rust, stopping the rust and hardening the rusted spot.
    I've used it on many things, including bikes, stoves and tools.

Disadvantages may be the distinctive smell when applying (my girlfriends hates it, I don't :lol: ), it takes some time to harden and treatment may have to be repeated sometimes. It also doesn't stay on stove parts that are in the flame, like a trivet.
    Biggest advantages imho are that it's Cheap and Effective. 8)

In the old days it was a.o. used in paint for hulls of seagoing ships (hence to prevent corrosion from sea water).
    One word of warning when painting: Check if the oil and paint are compatible(mostly not with modern paints I've seen)

Thnx for reading and thanks for your pictures!

Peter

14. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

A lot of older enamal paints had linseed oil as a solvent. Very distinctive smell but nothing like the other rust preventing oil. Fisholene. Sprayed some of that on a rust spot in an old toyota I had and the rust was stopped dead in its tracks but for 4 years I hated having to park in the sun. Some one elses problem now.