1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

550b multi fuel

Discussion in 'Coleman No:550' started by kerry, Mar 6, 2011.

1. kerry

this is quite nice,
    very little used and came with a kero jenny, peak1
    instrutions and in a very nice dark green 2 piece plastic container.
    a swine of a stove to get running even on coleman fuel, i kept chuffing every 3 seconds or so and up would come a small yellow flame :rage:
    so .
    i drained the tank, as best as i could and filled it with kero.
    i changed the jenny over and got the binding out of a tilly lamp pre heater and bunged it down the side of the jenny.
    i gave it a small squirt of meths and lit it.
    just as it was about to go out i opened the valve and away she went.
    it was still giving the odd chuff and i put down to dirty fuel.
    now on its second tank of kero its going quite well.TBH it seems to run better on kero than coleman fuel.
    i wonder what the 3 second chuff is all about ?
    its nice but it aint an old peak1.

1299444347-550_005_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

Bwahahaha!
    My evil plan worked!!!
    You are now hooked on....Coleman :mrgreen:

1299445976-newbanana.gif

3. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

I have a 550b "Exponent" with the new, improved, high-tech, world-class, stat-of-the-art copper colored paint. It seems to work fine on kero. Must be the paint job.

4. linux_author

linux_author United States Subscriber

love my 550b on kero! replaced the rubber w/chain from an old 123:

1299447178-exponent.jpg

5. itchy United States

Kerry: On the chuffing, you may be right about the bad fuel -- maybe a little moisture. I just leave the kero generator on mine and switch back and fourth between kerosene and Coleman with no problem, as long as I remember which I last filled it with.

L-A: The rubber lanyard was just irritating, I ditched it. Your chain looks good, I'll need to try that.

6. ulysses

ulysses United States Subscriber

I was using mine today to make some coffee. The plastic cap retainer is a pain. I like your solution with the chain and will experiment with that.

Paul

7. dsk Norway

I have a 550B, a little older, made in Canada. No chain on the filler cap. Bluish color.

It runs perfect on white gas, but kero :rage:
    Job to change valve and generaor, and difficult to preheat. More difficult to simmer.

On the other hand :content: it starts, runs and simmers great on white gas.

This stove inspired me to get Apex ii and it is even better. :clap:
    The drawback of the Apex is the hose replacement, but it is solved with d.i.y. hose clamps, and gasoline hose from the local gas/service station.

dsk

8. Jet-A

+1 on that annoying rubber fuel cap lanyard. The chain looks like a great ideal.

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, All,

(DSK, great to see you here again!!)

We have used the 550B for many years, and even run it three times a day on a 241 mile trip in the Sierra Nevada, burning....... kerosene!!! Ours ran like a champ, and as we primed it with a bit of priming pasted underneath the generator, and used the proper Sigg Tourist cook set for it, we never had a single problem. The stove burned clean, powerful, and could also simmer very well, indeed. After the end of that trip, the flame was just beginning to show a little tiny bit of yellow in the tips, but I never bothered to change out the generator, and it still runs just fine on kero, today. Runs great on Coleman Fuel, too. We have four of these and only one has been less than perfect. That one came used, and it appears to have been somewhat abused by it's former owner. When motivated, I'll change out the generator, and I'll bet that will be the cure for it's small problems. Great little stove, and especially with the proper cook set. Seeking one of those out, is well worth the effort, time, trouble, and coin it will take to buy one!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc