1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

550BExponent

Discussion in 'Coleman No:550' started by WhiteWinter, Apr 16, 2011.

1. WhiteWinter

550B Exponent Multi Fuel Stove bought brand new in Canada in 2004. Think it's going to be the last generation of the stove.

1302963102-Exponent550B2.jpg 1302963140-Exponent550B3.jpg 1302963169-Exponent550B4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Nah, they'll paint it a new color, give it a new name and presto! A New Old Stove!

3. theyellowdog New Zealand

Anyone know a good method for removing the plastic part that holds the pump it... with out stuffing it?

Thanks Dan

4. Knight84 Canada

I just use a small flat(slotted) headed screwdriver. But I guess a better tool would be maybe a plastic disposable knife. :-k Hard enough but won't mark up paint and plastic.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. theyellowdog New Zealand

Thanks Jeff,

(I really need to start proooof reading my posts).

Dan

6. toonsgt

I get it turned into the notch and yank the pump and all out in a quick tug. Then I take sandpaper to them and apply a little graphite impregnated silicone grease to make it easier next time.

I dislike the plastic ones even more than the wire bale, but not as much as the tiny screws on the oldies. Nothing like trying to get those *&^* off in zero degree F. I much prefer the simple knurled threaded ones.

Mike

7. theyellowdog New Zealand

I got the check valve freed up without removing the pump, so that's all good now. Will try get it apart tomorrow and sand it a little, seems a good idea.

I picked this stove up from a recycle center for a good price, it was not working, but just needed everything tightened and straightened. It looks great now. 1995 model.

I only have the coleman fuel generator and would prefer to use kero, so will have to get a kero generator.

This stove appears to have no simmer what so-ever.
    I can't see why that is, my peak one apex 11 has a perfect simmer. Will have to work on that.

Dan

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I just grab hold of the plastic piece in my hand and turn. Doesnt draw blood every time

9. toonsgt

Dan,
    Have you taken the generator out? Sounds like the cleaning wire may be missing or broken/bent. Also the o-rings in the valve may be shot. Pretty simple to take apart. That metal clip holds the whole thing together.

Check out Sams teardown:

550 Complete teardown

You can have the whole thing taken down and back together in 5 minutes.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  10. theyellowdog New Zealand

Ah ha! The wire was not hooked on. Now it simmers very well.

Thanks

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. BWH

The US Army bought a large number of these stoves to issue to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan as replacements for the old M1950 Squad Stove. In the past two years a lot of them, new in the box, hit the surplus market. I picked up one and was so impressed by its performance I grabbed a second to keep as a spare/collector. In my opinion this is perhaps the best performing small single burner stove Coleman ever built, and that's saying a lot.

12. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

Yes!
    I have a gold one and a silver one, works well, they do!

I wish the knob was a bit longer, though.
    I have big fingers and it's hard getting a grip...

13. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Thanks for the info B regarding their army use. The 550B-725 is my favorite camping stove and has never failed me in any condition or season. Coupled with their 2-piece aluminum nesting case they are extremely durable and dependable. It's by far the best single-burner camping stove Coleman has ever produced: size/weight/heat range/ease of use/tank capacity/robust/windproof/pot support/etc. I have yet to find a model that equals her flexibility in terms of stability/support on uneven ground thanks to the leveling ring and adjustable feet. She's not perfect and has her deficiencies like all stoves, but if I had a choice of only 2-3 stoves to pick for an extended 2-4 person backcountry trip she'd be ranked as #1a. I've had issues running them with kerosene , but none with Coleman Fuel. I've been using the same one now for nearly 20 years on trips, in all seasons, and she still runs and works like a charm (with very little maintenance).

It's too bad Coleman dropped their single burner liquid fuel line of stoves here in Canada (not sure about the US), but at least they went out on a high note with the 550B (and u can still get them new or used on ebay). I picked up a couple of never used models as spares as well, including a few ex-Military used versions (the older -749's) with padded cases for dirt cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  14. mookie

I'm glad to hear this as I am looking to buy one!

15. Jet-A

I've talked to several former military members and learned that the 550B was far more common than I imagined. Because the military attempts to keep their logistics simple, they run almost everything off of JP fuel. Tanks, trucks, generators, helicopters and of course, stoves. Turns out that little Coleman is tougher than you know. It's not as lightweight as most two-part stoves but having fewer bits to keep up with is a good thing sometimes. The former military people I talked to liked the 550B and I purchased mine from an ROTC member that obtained a commercial model to match the GI stove he was familiar with. Mine runs beautifully on kerosene.