1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Simpson & Son Army Stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by astroboy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. astroboy Australia

Hi this is a few shots of what I believe to be an Army issue stove made by A.Simpson & Son in Adelaide Australia. Any additional information about it would be greatly appreciated. I think I remember seeing a similar British made stove recently and I thought I should post a few pics.
    Astro.

1417100947-Simpson01.JPG 1417100955-Simpson02.JPG 1417100965-Simpson03.JPG 1417100978-Simpson04.JPG 1417100988-Simpson05.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. astroboy Australia

Few more......

1417101097-Simpson06.JPG 1417101113-Simpson07.JPG 1417101123-Simpson08.JPG 1417101132-Simpson09.JPG 1417101142-Simpson11.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

HI Astro. You're right - virtually the same as the Turley & Williams - Link

The burner and control wheel assembly look a little different.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. The Bird

The Bird New Zealand Subscriber

G'day Astro,

I have a couple of these, but they're by R & A G Crossland

I would suspect that yours, like mine were made under licence from Turley & Williams.

Just a quick question, for anyone who may know, I need to know what the clips in the bottom of the case held. Every one of this type of stove has them, but one never sees them holding anything. If anyone can shed some light, it would be handy to know.

The stove is a cracker, by the way, I have found mine to be very good to use, though a little thirsty.

Many thanks for sharing,

Mike.

5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

I've never seen anything in the clips, but the 1930s Turkey and Williams advertisement says that it is supplied complete with a funnel and spanner.

Terry

6. astroboy Australia

I saw one sell earlier this year and it had the instruction sheet inside the lid and a funnel, a spanner and a small vessel that would hold pricking needles to clear the jet. Mine has a small capsule like vessel in the base of the oven and I have'nt actually looked inside it as yet.

7. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

how could you not look ???????????????
    sorry

kerry

8. astroboy Australia

Yes I had better get onto that today and then report back in.

9. The Bird

The Bird New Zealand Subscriber

Hello Gents,

Many thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

I had assumed that there would be a spanner, but not a funnel. It would have to be a narrow-necked affair, as my Coleman Funnel is of no use in filling the stove. It fully fills the opening, creating vapour-lock. The result is a lot of spilled fuel.

One other question: Am I correct in assuming that the soldered plug in the center of the filling cap is a safety device? I was thinking that it may function similarly to the soldered pin in the Svea 123. If it is, I wouldn't like to be around when it blows, as it would attract the attention of the burner very quickly, with very likely explosive results!!!

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Mike.