1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aladdin suitcase stove

Discussion in 'Aladdin' started by Matty, May 12, 2016.

1. Matty Australia

Ben,

Congratulations on a very fine stove.

I was lucky enough to get some original lighting instruction with my stove of this type from the early 50's.

If you would like me to send you a copy just give me a cooee.

If you are really getting some Australian flavour about you, you should know or learn just what a cooee is.

2. Funfundfunfzig

Funfundfunfzig Australia Subscriber

Do it Ben!

Battered and deep fried fairy penguin on a stick is delicious!

3. Funfundfunfzig

Funfundfunfzig Australia Subscriber

@Matty
    What's the heater thing in you picture with the stove?

4. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Poland Subscriber

5. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Australia Subscriber

Matty my two , one in the case and one without have brass tanks. The steel ones may have something to do with the war where brass was a scarce thing and went into munitions.

Cheers
    Rob

6. Matty Australia

@Funfundfunfzig

Sorry mate, I've only just noticed your question.

I don't have a clue, it's the only one I've ever seen.

@Robert Bruce

Rob, yes, that makes sense. I think the war played havoc on stove and lamp making and also brass drives meant the destruction of a lot of lamps and stoves.

There is a white Aladdin stove depicted in this topic. I bought some stuff recently and unbeknown to me, until it arrived, the seller threw in an Aladdin that is painted white. I kind of thought it may have been painted by the previous owner as I simply hadn't noticed Aladdin suitcases that were white previously.

I now have 4 of these suitcases and each definitely differ from the next one despite looking very much the same at first glance. Aladdin lamps made in Australia were a lot like that, certainly the war year ones. Many differed from materials used to slight changes in design. I think again, as you said Robert, it may well have come down to availability of materials during and say the first 5 years after the war.

I also think more than one 3rd part manufacturer were used and those 3rd party manufacturers differed slightly in the designs they used.