Alcohol Storm Cooker

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by Spiritburner, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I suspect this is German or Austrian but with no markings can't be sure.

It's very small & light but missing pot grip. It has a leather strap to go around it but that's still packed away from Newark!

The aluminium is very thin guage & I could crush it easily in one hand if I wanted.

I'm going to derust the outside of the burner & seal it up in a ziploc bag. The lid is rusted shut but I can see what may be asbestos lining the lid so it can stay were it is. I have used a Trangia burner in it instead.

Without burner & grip the outfit weighs in at 242g - that's 2 part windshield, 2 pans & a lid/frypan.

I may add the burner from the Caldera Cone & the Optimus 88 pan-grip & try this out backpacking. I do prefer 2 pans.

The last shot with the standard sized mug shows how small this outfit is compared to a regular Trangia.

1313936263-001.JPG 1313936270-002.JPG 1313936278-003.JPG 1313936286-004.JPG 1313936303-005.JPG 1313936319-006.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

Small, but a very nice set. I like the more decorative pattern of the windscreen and base (a Trangia is simply functional). How much capacity does each of the pots have? About 0.5L?

HJ

3. Spiritburner

That's right HJ, 0.5L or .45 for practical use.

My AGG .85L pot & lid weighs 108g. As the Cone is pan-specific I just take the one pan but my preferred MO is to be brewing in one pan while I eat my dinner/lunch/breakfast out of the other.

I may be able to achieve this for only a small weight penalty with this set. I also need to see if these pans will fit the cone! but I suspect too small.

4. Texas

Notice the different styles of lifter "pockets" in photo #4. Makes one wonder if one has been replaced or if they are from two different sets.

I purchased two small "angles food cake" pans, the kind with removable flues, 6" dia. X 3" (16.5mm X 8mm)thinking to make something similar. These are high quality spun metal pans so will weigh more, but I'm more concerned with size rather than weight. I also have found some of the cheap Boy Scout mess kits at thrift store, generally around $.50, to try to mix and match pieces to my planned scheme. The Chinese knockoff does everything that I want to do, so wonder why I would even think of making something.

I like that little set Ross, I wonder if immersing it in boiling water would loosen the lid on the burner.

Bob

5. Spiritburner

Well spotted!
    I'll have to check my other sets to make sure it's not me that's put the wrong lid on although I don't think I have anything else that small.

As far as the burner is concerned it's a little big & heavy, especially in relation to the rest of the outfit & with the asbestos it can stay seized for me! ;)

6. Texas

The two burner parts have different hole "styles" and the bottom one has a much heavier rolled edge, so it may be doubtful that they were orginally mates. Send it to me for further study, or, in the alternative, spend the rest of your life looking for exact mates.

I wouldn't worry too much about the asbestos. If its wet then it wouldn't produce dust....maybe.

Best,
    Bob

7. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Sizewise it looks a lot like the German Alfi, but mine has different 'decorative' holes in it. Maybe an older version? I remember I had to look hard to find the Alfi name on mine, so maybe another (very) close look might give an answer?

Best regards,

Wim

8. hikin_jim

Looks like a very nice user set, Ross, and not at all unattractive from a collector's point of view either. I've never seen anything like that this side of the pond. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. nzmike

Wonderful thing! Decorative and functional, all criteria met. :thumbup:

10. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Slonmaly.JPG ive got similar stove
    build near 1938/39 in Czechoslovakia