1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Gas Machine, Model 713, cabin range.

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by Doc Mark, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Good Morning, All,

Well, in all my years of seeking out, and collecting stoves, I've never been able to stir up much interest in AGM stuff. I think it all began when I read about that company having problems with cracked fonts on their lanterns. Then I saw a few in the wild, and as reported, they did have cracked fonts! So, that rather put me off of the AGM stuff, overall. I made a brief detour, and bought an AGM #7 that I found, at "that same old swap meet" many years ago, and whilst robust, and very well made, it still didn't entire me to get more goodies from that company.

Fast forward to yesterday morning, and all that changed with single touch of the keyboard! I found a stove that called to me, like no other from AGM had ever done, and well, after trying to do a bit of research, which was rather fruitless, and asking the seller a couple of important questions, I did the BIN on the bay of evil!! Here's what I got:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

The seller also included an ad from 1923, purporting to show this model stove, or one very much like it, being offered by AGM. Here's the ad:

10.jpg

The seller required "local pick up", and she is in Colorado. But, after asking her, she graciously put this stove back in storage, where it will stay until I collect it, in late May, or June!! I also have a few Stovie friends in the area, and I may ask them to collect the stove, and then hold it for me. In any case, I'm tickled to have gotten it, and interestingly enough, this stove is very much like the "Queen Stove" that a fellow on the CCF bought recently. I will not post a photo of his stove, because I have not asked his permission to do so. But, if he agrees, then I will share his photo here. In truth, it's already been posted here, by someone else, in an AGM thread, and I have NO idea if he asked permission of the stove's owner, or not, I won't post, without seeking permission. This 713 looks to be in very good condition, overall, and should respond to just a little bit of attention, and work like a champ!!

There isn't a ton of information about the Model 713 to be found, or, if there is, I have yet to find it. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd love to learn more about my "new" old stove!!! I can see a time when, at a future CASG event, SB and I will have nothing but cabin ranges, and such, with two Clayton and Lamberts, a Coleman #7 cabin range, a Coleman #387 Auto Trailer hot plate stove, and this American Gas Machine #713!!! THAT would be fun, and definitely "different"!! :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Thanks for check out our AGM #713, and please do share any info that you might have, pertinent to this nice old stove. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. salan3

salan3 United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine looking stove Doc!
    Are you going to fire it up when. you get it?
    Eagerly looking forward to some flame/cooking shots.

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout United States Subscriber

What a great piece of history! Nice score, thanks for sharing Doc. Jerry

4. Doc Mark

Morning, Alan, and Jerry,

Thanks, very much, Gentlemen! I'm stoked about it, and look forward to picking it up when we next get over that way, and then seeing how it responds to firing up!! I've now asked permission of the owner of the Queen stove, that was posted on the CCF site, and if he gives the OK, then I'll post his stove here, alongside mine, as they are, for all intents and purposes, almost identical!! Fun stuff, for sure!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

A very nice score indeed. I can't wait to see the flame shot next summer.

Ben

6. Doc Mark

Hey, Ben,

Thanks, very much, Sir! I look forward to picking it up, and enjoying it, when that comes to pass!

I've also just received permission from the owner of a Queen stove which was posted on the Coleman forum, and with is kind permission, I'm going to share it here, so my stove and his can be seen together, as it were: Twin Brothers, almost, from different Mothers!!

Here's mine again:

1.jpg

And, here's his Queen stove:

1.jpg

Don't they look like there we made in the same factory??!! They do to me!! I'll share more photos of the Queen stove's owner, Big Hoss, when time permits. The photo credit is his, for this, and all other photos of his that I post later. And, once again, I send him my sincere thanks for kindly giving permission to use his photos here at CCS, and I truly wish that ALL CCS members would ask permission before using someone else's photographs that they find on the 'net!!! Guess that's too much to ask........ Thanks for checking out these two almost Twins, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. NW Lady

NW Lady United States Subscriber

Happy New Year!, Doc.
    Beautiful stove. Thank you for sharing.

8. Longilily

Longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

That's lovely Doc, well done :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@Doc Mark

Between now and when you pick that stove up, you'll have to build yourself a log cabin to put it in.

Cheers

Tony

10. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Impressive stove Doc. Several similarities with the Queen stove, but also discrepancies; the cook stand, the alignment of the burners etc.
    From a 1923 AGM catalogue (shared by Neil McRae), you can see images (drawings) of this AGM 713 gasoline gas stove.

/Conny

AGM 713 stove catalogue 1923.jpg AGM 713 stove catalogue 1923 AGM.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  11. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi Doc. Great find, I have run across a number of these (your version) but have never seen one that might be usable or in one piece. They apparently were very popular among miners of the south west. I have run into them quite often in the vicinity of old mine operations. As you are aware exploring old mining ares is one of my pastimes. I think they were so popular because of the light weight compared to regular kitchen stoves but would function the same and use available auto gas. I saw the remnants of one while in the desert just last week. Next time I will snap a picture. Mike...

12. Matty Australia

@Doc Mark

I thought you might like to see this advertisement from 1930 for the Queen Stove example of this model. I wonder if AGM sold the stove design & rights to Queen Stove sometime after 1923?

1930Queen3Burner.png

13. Conny C

Here is what I believe is the AGM successor stove to the 713; the 813 Kitchen Kook stove,
    from a ca 1926 AGM catalogue. Looks in many details similar to the Queen stove above shown by Matty.

/Conny

/Conny AGM Model 813 1926 stove.jpg

14. Matty Australia

@Conny

That is an outstanding catalogue page.

This stove seems to be the natural progression though I can't make out the last # of the model. 85?

AGM Stove 1930.

1930AGM.png

15. Conny C

Matty, maybe Kitchen Kook Model 858, from that same approx 1926 AGM catalogue (shared by Neil McRae)!

/Conny

AGM Model 858 1926 stove.jpg

16. Matty Australia

Conny,

Yep it looks like it is the 858.

17. Doc Mark

Good Morning, All,

WOW!! Excellent information being shared on this stove, and others like it!! Many thanks to one and all for posting it here in the Stove Reference Gallery! One thing that has sometimes bothered me about people sharing their comments on stoves, here, is that they offer NO documentation to back-up their comments. I'm gratified to see good, solid documentation being posted in this thread, and it's just the kind of information that I've been seeking!!!

Terry Marsh sent me more good information yesterday, and sincere thanks for him for his help!! The first page is from AGM catalog #27, 1923, and the second page is from AGM catalog #31, 1927, and looks to be a replacement parts list. Man, I sure with we could buy a brass fuel tank today, with it's filler cap, for just $3.75!!!! Oh, well.......

Many thanks to Terry, Conny, Matty, and all, for your excellent contributions to this thread!! Flivver, I'd love to see photos of that rusted mining relic stove, if you get a chance to visit that place again!

There is a "chance" that I'll get to pick up this stove much sooner than I'd at first thought. But, I won't count my chickens, until they hatch. Should know something next week, or the week after. Thanks, again, to all, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

18. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill United States Subscriber

Doc,

Great find. As you mentioned above the two stoves are from different mothers. The Queen stove being made by Albert Lea Foundry, yours by AGM. At the time these were made, completely separate and competing companies.This all fits into the discussion on the two companies taking place in another thread.

In another thread somewhere someone commented about the similarities between two stoves and opined that one company might have made parts for another. After looking through nearly 200 GPA patents there are tons of similarities between many companies products. I think this comes down to a very simple reason. There are only so many ways you can get pressurized fuel out of a tank, into a burner, combust said fuel and perform useful work with the heat of combustion.

The more GPAs I look at the less I'm surprised by similarities and the more I'm impressed by the various dodges to get around somebody else's patent.

19. Matty Australia

There is also something else. Licensing. I think it was often easier to pay a royalty to a company to use their or similar patent than it was to invent your own - whatever.

20. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

That and both companies buying components (e.g. valves) from the same third party.

....Arch