1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Rambler

Discussion in 'RM MFG & Engineering Co Ltd' started by yonadav, Apr 13, 2011.

1. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

I bought this little yellow RM stove off eBay UK, assuming it must be a petrol stove. (The seller had no clue.)

After spending close to 4 months in the claws of Royal Mail, it finally got here. As soon as I took it apart, I realized my mistake - it is a gassie, and with long gone refill cannisters. I guess it is doomed to be used as a door-stop or a book support.

It is slightly different than the one posted here by Kerophile - the burner cup has no holes, and the pot supports are made of aluminum. It seems that one has melted in the flame.

1302709714-IMG_1910_resize.JPG

1302709740-IMG_1915_resize.JPG 1302709770-IMG_1911_resize.JPG

1302709796-IMG_1914_resize.JPG

Yonadav

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi yonadav a nice example of a gassie you have shame about not having the refil canister these models were i believe one of the first butane stove and i have read a artacle on here that the tank may have been originaly for a paraffin stove and just adapted to be used for butane by RM from their surplus stock what i like about these gassies is that they are so much like a classic pressure stove design of all the classic gas stoves this model i would like the most

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Yonadav, Read further down this post and you will see that my Rambler is very much alive and kicking as a result of an adaptor built by another CCS member, and a connecting hose purchased through ebay.

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/5440

One of your stove legs certainly has the "droops", I sympathise and will look to see if I have a spare.
    These are very well-made stoves and worth bringing back to life.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Hey Yonadav

Not on your own with legs melting.
    I picked up a Veritas paraffin stove, seller didn't show the legs on it - all three had melted, thankfully I had some spares.

I've got a couple of these gassie stove, thankfully one has got a little bit of gas left, so use very very sparingly.
    Happy fettling.
    Ian

5. tetley United Kingdom

i thought you'd have known that it was gas :doh:

i'm sure you'll get it going soon enough, with all the experience and help from on here. i look forward to the flame shot 8)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. dsk Norway

This looks like campingaz refillable tops, and could probably be refilled.

An other option is to atatch a hose instead of the flame spreader part, and a butane canister upside down, open the valves, and let the butane transfere. Removing the jet will probably make this much faster, still we are talking about many hours.

dsk

7. yonadav

Well, friends, I guess this is as close as my Rambler will get to a flame shot:

1302777112-IMG_1916_resize.JPG

I am aware of ChickenThief's beautiful refill adapter (shown by Kerophile), but I don't think it's worth all the trouble for me to try and get one.

When I am in nostalgic mood (quite often), I prefer to use some of my vintage liquid fuel stoves. Thus, even if I do refill this Rambler, I will probably only fire it once or twice, so why bother? I did try to transfer some butane from a lighter refill can, but more fuel spilled out than got into the tank. There was some butane in the tank, but not enough to get the stove going.

It did prompt me to look up my inventory of gassies, and I realized I do have about 10 of them. My favorite for use is the Amgazit Rotoflame (the middle one in the photo), due to its superb wind resilience.

This also brought to memory another gas camping stove that my father bought somewhere in the early 60's. It had a cylindrical, refillable steel tank, that was laying on its side. The burner only had 2 legs (the tank was the 3rd support). It came in a small orange and beige canvas bag. Shamefully, some years ago I cleaned up my basement and threw it away, not realizing that one day I might start to collect stoves.

So, this is the end of my Rambler story, unless I miraculously stumble upon a suitable refiller one day...

Yonadav

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  8. RonPH

Hey Yonadav, I have seen one of those stoves - middle one - just yesterday. Was not interested in it but it was new :lol: Looks like a torch flame.

Ron

9. yonadav

Yes, you can buy them in most hardware and camping stores in Israel - still being manufactured, and very popular. There are models that fit most common cannisters. Mine has seen a lot of use.

Yonadav

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015