1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atlas Cairo Lighter

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by z1ulike, Nov 7, 2016.

1. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

After posting this Atlas Cairo coil burner...
    08 stove burning.JPG 06 - Name plate.JPG

I picked up this Atlas Cairo lighter from eBay
    00 - front.JPG 01 - Atlas Cairo.JPG

The bottom has a thumb screw for adding lighter fluid
    02 - Bottom.JPG 03 - Fluid filler.JPG

The other screw on the bottom can be removed using a dime.
    04 - Screw driver dime.JPG

Once removed you have a small screw driver that can be used to replace the flint.
    05 - Screwdriver.JPG 06- flint.JPG

After fixing the wick, installing a flint, and filling with lighter fluid it works well.
    07 - flame.JPG

Ben

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day Ben, That's a very solid,well designed lighter. Congratulations :thumbup:

Martin

3. SveaSizzler United States

Very nice Altas collection you've got going. The ancient style decoration is classy.
    Is there much difference between Coleman gas and Zippo, and/or Ronson lighter fluid? They're both listed as ''naptha.'' I've seen some English language ads for the Imco Austrian lighter that call it a "Gasoline Lighter."
    I wouldn't try 91 octane in one, but while camping, I tried Coleman gas in my Imco and it worked OK.
    I've heard of Marines in 'Nam dipping their Zippos --on a wire -- into fuel tanks of a Jeep when lighter fluid was unavailable.

4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

I'm pretty sure there's no difference at all. Coleman is basically highly refined gasoline that has had the sulfur and aromatic hydrocarbons removed. I wouldn't recommend 91 octane but not because of it's octane rating but because automobile gasoline might contain ethanol and for sure contains aromatic hydrocarbons like benzene, xylene, and toluene which are carcinogenic and produce black sooty smoke that no body needs. In 'Nam, in a pinch. O.K. otherwise I'd steer clear.

Ben

5. SveaSizzler United States

I think Zippo lighter fluid is too expensive to use in a SVEA, for instance, but possibly, if it's the same grade of Naptha as CF it would serve in extremis.