Big thanks to you guys

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by jeffmg, Feb 8, 2017.

1. jeffmg

Just wanted to give a shoutout to the people in this forum.

I bought a 1972 Allied Seawind Ketch sailboat last march that featured a kenyon homestrand and both burners had been changed to kerosene. I immediately got together quotes for changing it out to propane and almost had a heart attack at the cost involved. After a little internet searching I came across this forum and got together the knowledge to get it working again.

I ordered a few rebuild kits from Tilley lamp and stove for these patria burners, cleaned out the tank, polished the top and cleaned the bushings so that it swings again.

Both burners have been drilled and tapped for 3/8 NPT to copper tubing compression fittings from the tank, I purchased a pair of backup burners for cruising and plan to drill/tap in the same manner.

The past few days were great working out how to get the cleaning needle inside without breaking it and getting it in the right spot, I'm more than confident that I can service this stove while at sea or in any port with just a few simple tools and the fuel is universal around the world.

There is still a slight leak on one of the compression fittings on the bottom that will necessitate removing the right side burner again but getting this thing running today really made my day so I thought i would share.

Saved a ton of money and got myself something that is very user serviceable and couldn't have done it without a lot of the posts here, so thanks a ton.

50827693654__919AA87D-3E09-425A-80BB-0266C42BFF34.jpg

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@jeffmg
    Great to hear and very gracious of you to credit contributors to CCS on lending a hand.

You've helpfully added your experience to the stock of sound reasons and knowhow for others to do the same, thank you.

John

4. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Congrats on getting the ketch and on getting your stove working. How about a photo of your boat?

....Arch

5. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I think you made the right decision, regardless of cost. I don't want propane on my sailboat. It is heavier than air and could collect in the bilge and go BOOM! I have a two burner alcohol Origo on my Pearson sloop.