1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Military No 6

Discussion in 'Military' started by Admin, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Had this fantastic bit of British Engineering, kicking around for the last 3 years.
    Had a go at firing it up last year, my pride got singed as it erupted in a ball of flames.
    Anyway the weather was not too cold and not too hot, not too bright and not too dark today, so had the balls to see what was wrong. The pipe from the burner to the tank, well, I know what I mean, was about 2mm too long, not bedding down properly. Filed the 2mm off, and got a good fit.

Still not quite happy with it, but it works.

1341164270-IMG_6663_opt.jpg 1341164295-IMG_6659_opt.jpg 1341164317-IMG_6664_opt.jpg 1341164337-IMG_6665_opt.jpg 1341164376-IMG_6666_opt.jpg 1341164406-IMG_6661_opt.jpg 1341164440-IMG_6680_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi Iani, Very good post mate. You know of my experiences with this type of stove, so well done to get it working! It would be very interesting to do some prolonged testing to see how the vapourising tubes hold up, because that was the weakness in the original design in my experience; then maybe you have already solved it with the tube shortening? I was using it in extreme cold weather, so that could have had a bigger effect. Take care old friend - Steve.

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Subscriber

I had one of these which I got more-or-less given by someone who was uneasy using it. Not surprising when I heard the general belching, bumping, surging, banging, squidging, popping and farting noises it made whilst priming and running. Mine had the correct key, attached to the stove by a chain.

I used every day for a while during my 'how long can I do without an electric kettle period (over two years, actually) but even I got apprehensive about it in the end.

It went for quite an amount on eBay...

4. Bratok_xxl Russian Federation

Very good !!!
    Its a monster =) Really =)

5. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day interesting the similarity of the feet to a M-1950
    kerry

6. Richard Peters United Kingdom

Sorry for the duplicated post but...

I got one of these today and got it working wonderfully but can't seem to find any documentation about it on the web such as operation manual or dates of issue etc.

I have wanted a rugged mixed fuel stove (but I believe this is petrol only) and when I spotted this at a car boot I snapped it up. It is complete with the ally storage can I saw in another thread on the forum as well as the key and the fuel cap still has the chain attached so it's a good example tho clearly well used.

I suppose I wonder if I might be better of trading this with someone who is a collector as opposed to me who is a camper on a tight budget! Ive always struggled to get enough heat with a Trangia and hexis honk and I have to order the fuel in hence why I want common petrol.