British? unknown maker spirit burner and accessories

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by presscall, Nov 27, 2012.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

No maker's mark, but probably made in Britain, late 19th/early 20th century and quality touches suggest it was priced accordingly when bought new

1354051612-1.JPG

Tin-lined copper can, chromed brass and ebony pouring handle and everything packs away very neatly

1354051632-2.JPG 1354051640-3.JPG 1354051648-4.JPG 1354051677-5.JPG 1354051687-6.JPG

Here it is with a Svea 123 towering over it, itself a pretty compact design

1354051697-7.JPG

The pouring handle has a left-hand thread on the ferrule ...

1354051708-8.JPG

... so that when pouring it doesn't unscrew

1354051717-9.JPG

The patina's beautiful and I've given the components just a glazing of auto wax to bring out the lustre of the copper

1354051728-10.JPG

The spare fuel can is exquisitely made, with a hollow base to enable it to sit, when packed, on top of the burner - the burner travelling cap/snuffer is a close fit in the aperture so carefully made for it

1354051742-11.JPG 1354051756-12.JPG

An elegantly pierced pot rest cage fits securely inside the raised lip of the burner when in use or in transit

1354051769-13.JPG

Wick and mount. Those holes in the mount tube each create a spike of flame once the burner's properly underway and the fuel's warmed up in the tube

1354051787-14.JPG

Initially it's just this ...

1354051803-15.JPG

... but after a few seconds it gets into its stride

1354051817-16.JPG

1354051831-17.JPG

1354051850-18.JPG

Five minutes and the water's boiling. No more than a cupful to be sure, but a handy travelling companion to pack for the 8.15 from Paddington and a second cup is only another 5-minutes away

1354051867-19.JPG

It really is tiny, even compared to the compact Drew & Sons picnic set alongside it here, which also has that feature of a spare fuel can with a hollow base

1354051889-20.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. presscall

Some more photos

1354053984-21.JPG 1354053996-22.JPG 1354054005-23.JPG 1354054023-24.JPG 1354054032-25.JPG 1354054049-26.JPG 1354054060-27.JPG 1354054075-28.JPG 1354054087-29.JPG 1354054102-30.JPG

John

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, John,

Another stuffer, my Friend!! Brilliant little Meths stove! Thanks for sharing this classy little guy. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

4. Rick b

Yes John, That is a very lovely kit. I really like the flame shots, jeanie in a lamp.

5. presscall

Yes indeed, Doc, Rick, I'm happy with this one.

John

6. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Very nice set John. You could imagine it being in someone's pocket out on the Grouse moors, with a hip flask in the other pocket!

Looks similar to this Barret & Sons set ( Link ) I was watching on Ebay last year. Can't remember what it sold for but it was more than I could afford!

Regards,
    Terry

Edit: See also this set Link

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. Viscara

Originally Silicon Valley now in Netherlands.
    Prescall absolutely stunning display of something I have never seen before. Beautifully designed and compact stove that makes me realize how creative stoves have been far longer than I have imagined. This rivals the jetboils stoves that so many think are the best thing since slice bread. I love to find one of these one day. Also the Patina on it is beautiful really is.

8. linux_author

Beautiful pics as always, Mr. John!

What amazes me is that no single company can today manufacture as elegant a solution to the one-cup coffee/tea break!

Sure, there is the little Esbit, but it performs poorly without modification and is meant for burning tablets

A wonderful find, indeed!

Willie
    Soon to be traveling along the Gulf of Mexico

9. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Nicely photographed, thanks for sharing. Looks like this one on ebay, although this version is plated, described as a Brandy Warmer .

For your indoor shots I'm assuming you're using a remote, stand-alone flash, backlighting, filters/deflectors and a nice neutral/contrasting background? I hope to play around with some equipment/lighting/techniques for my indoor shots with stoves and other subjects, so any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

10. presscall

Hi Smolson

For those photos I only used flash for the shot peering into the can with the water boiling to 'freeze' the turbulence of the boiling water.

Mostly I don't use flash but a combination of room lighting (tungsten ceiling downlighters) and neon tubes (there to illuminate a kitchen worktop - counter).

Here's the arrangement I use. I used blue card as a seamless backdrop in the example in the following link but I mostly use light grey or white - a neutral backdrop as you say

Photography indoors

1354095534-Pic.jpg

John

11. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks for the link John. Must get myself some neutral art card. I've been using a dark blue sheet as a backdrop but it throws the exposure out

Has anyone tried one of those white 'photo cubes'? I've not really been able to justify one but the Mrs has said that she has a load of stuff she wants to put on Ebay, so that may be a good excuse. :) :thumbup:

Regards,
    Terry

12. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Terry,

A colour known as "18% Gray" is the photography "neutral" colour. It's the theoretical average value that camera light meters are calibrated to.

You don't need any specific backdrop. Just get an 18% Gray card (any photographic shop will sell them) and then set up your exposure on the gray card in the same position as what you want to photograph and then replace with the object you are photographing and use the same exposure. Should get a perfect exposure irrespective of whatever background you are using.

You wouldn't think it from the pictures I post here but I actually have a City and Guilds in Photography that I did at evening classes about 17 years ago. I've never been able to get on with a digital compact camera driven by menus - everything takes too long to set-up and I end up just using point and shoot mode. My old SLR film cameras had dedicated buttons that I could manipulate through familiarity without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

Cheers, Graham.

13. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hello John

I love your spirit stove set.
    It is practical, well put together and beautiful as well.
    I used the links to look at similar stove sets and they are all gorgeous.

As usual, your photography has shown all the fine detail I feel is needed for archiving and referencing. Which reminds me - I must to something to improve my photo taking.

Anyway, when I saw your second set of photos I thought, "Now that is a timely coincidence."
    I got an item yesterday which I will be putting in the Gallery soon.

Your photos:
    1354053984-21.JPG 1354053996-22.JPG

My photos:
    1354114778-Ob1.JPG 1354114789-Ob2.JPG

14. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply and your procedures/information regarding indoor photography - much appreciated (especially the time/effort to post that stand-alone thread)! I like your philosophy on doubling up, I take it that goes for your wine as well. I'll pickup some art board and test some locations around the house to find the best lighting. Good to know you rarely use a flash and avoid other costly equipment and come out with wonderful shots, thanks again.

15. Viscara

Originally Silicon Valley now in Netherlands.
    Smolson The best thing to keep in mind is first and foremost is spending the time to do the photographic job right. All the tech stuff and choice of background goes out the window if you dont take the time to make sure all the details and settings are done right. I am one to admit when it comes to my photos here I am in a hurry or do them spur of the moment with my iphone as I do photography for a living and as they say painters home is never painted. If you do use some artificial light of any kind hotlights or tube or even flash just try to make them soft as possible via bouncing them off a white wall or through a soft lampshade or window light etc.. A medium bright open shaded spot on a porch or garage works wonders. If you light is semi low and your shutters speeds are getting slow use a tripod or bean bag or similar to hold the camera steady through the slow exposure. Also make sure you look to see how your flash camera settings are some are full on flash little ambient light and another setting which is mixing ambient light with the flash. But like I said more than anything its taking the time to do it right that really counts.