1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BRS-8A Multi-Fuel

Discussion in 'China' started by stusanford, Nov 11, 2010.

1. stusanford

stusanford United States Subscriber

Attached are photos of my Chinese made BRS-8A multi-fuel stove. This stove is also sold on EBay as the TK800A. General impression of the stove is that it is a good value and good quality. The fuel hose works with lindle valve iso-butane canisters. The pump also uses the same standard valve size. Of note, the liquid fuel bottle supplied is not quite the same screw size as a MSR fuel bottle. You can mount the MSR bottle to the pump, but it is slightly loose (so I am not sure that is advisable). The plastic case has a very nice spares kit and tool (with jet wrench, pricker). I noticed that the pump leather spare is not leather, but some sort of plastic/rubber. The stove works much better on coleman fuel (petrol/white gas) or butane than it does on Kerosene. The stove is supplied with two extra jets, one marked 35 (for butane/white gas) and the other marked 30 (for kerosene). Instructions included are in Chinese.
    Regards
    Stu Sanford

1289516163-BRS-8A_kero.jpg 1289516184-BRS-8A_kero_2.jpg 1289516203-BRS-8A_pump.jpg 1289516224-BRS-8A_Spares.jpg 1289516254-BRS-8A_case.jpg 1289516273-BRS-8A_petrol.jpg 1289516310-BRS-8A_fuel_fitting.jpg 1289516326-BRS-8A_butane.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. tomr

I just got a very similar one. $29 on Ebay, but about $60 total to get it to eastern Canada.
    Details...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. dsk Norway

Nice stove, I believe the burner is the the same or a copy of the one in Kovea Booster+. (=Brunton Lander)
    The Kovea Booster + is approved in Norway, but the copies (Tk somthing)was prohibited due to 1: lack of documentation, and 2: reported leaks in the change-over from preheating tube to the hose.

I have noticed: the Kovea comes with the hose attached, the others, you have to attach it youselves.

If you do that right, it should be safe enough, but keep an eye on it, please.

I do not have those stoves, but I have noticed the diametre of the hose is bigger at Kovea, than the TK

The Brunton Lander is sold as a white gas or cartridge fueled burner. (Kero is not mentioned)

dsk

4. tomr

Yes, there's plenty of reasons to be careful / suspicious / cautious with these things. However, everything seems to dismantle easily so most problems seem fixable. Interestingly, the wrench that came with mine does NOT fit the nut for attaching the braided hose to the burner, even though it has several different sized "cut-outs"...go figure. The Lindal valve connector on the tank end makes the stove much more versatile. I especially like that my cheapo adapter (not part of the stove) lets me use plain old butane canisters when I want. See pic. This fuel is available in packages of 4 for $10 or so (Cdn). I have several of the Coleman one burner stoves (505B, 550, Feather 400), but wanted to try one of those remote tank stoves. This was a cheap way to accomplish that :)

5. Petromax828

Looks exactly the same as mine Campsor-9 stove :)

6. stusanford

stusanford United States Subscriber

I googled Campsor-9 and found a Chinese language site that had a side-by-side comparison of the campsor-9 and the BRS-8a. They are very close. The Campsor-9 appears to be a Bulin BL100-t4 which appears to have upgraded features. There are differences in how the pump attaches (Campsor-9 is more like the Optimus Nova). Also the fuel line of the Campsor-9 is wider. Very interesting comparison, Although I could not read the detailes (google translate has it limitations). Stu Sanford

7. Primus 96 United Kingdom

The adapter for the gas canisters that you got along with the stove:
    When you referred to the "cheapo 4 for $X" canisters.
    Are they the sort that fit the outdoor gas rings where they go in a chamber at the side of the stove?

8. Primus 96 United Kingdom

1320788219-100_2317.jpg
    this is the box that my stove came in.
    What you do not see here is the instruction sheet in Pidgin English.
    It seems that there is a error in the instructions in that once you have filled the fuel bottle & screwed the pump home you are advised to pump pressure before attaching the fuel line. That doesn't seem right to me.
    The extra accessory is to use the long Butane cannisters, Gaz CP250 and others.
    These cannisters are amazingly cheap, but won't work so well if the temp is anywhere near freezing.
    1320787408-100_2316.jpg
    The fuels mentioned on the box are LPG and White Gas. The instructions do not mention the other jet at all.
    I am unsure about the whether the stove burns well on paraffin with the other jet.
    The priming cup is not deep so a double prime would surely be needed.
    There is no shaker jet: A pricker is on the multi-tool.
    1320787948-100_2314.jpg

I have not used the stove in the field yet, so I have no idea how it is affected by wind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  9. Primus 96 United Kingdom

There is no way you can burn paraffin. I changed the jet for the spare marked '30'. Hell, it could have been the same diameter of the other one for all the difference it made. You need a even smaller jet for paraffin, because it was still running way too rich. Pre-heat cup is too small really.

Push-on Butane canisters or screw on regular butane propane canisters work very well in liquid-feed mode due to the large diameter pre-heater loop.

The stove makes a demented roar on white-gas or LPG that I like.

Experimentation with Paraffin/Kerosene is not endorsed by me. Leave it as standard.

10. Primus 96 United Kingdom

My stove and that of the original poster is made by Futailong.
    The Bulin BL100-T4 is different in respect of the pump and fuel hose joint at the burner end.
    I e-mailed Futailong about the inability to burn kerosene.
    Futailong themselves make the outraegous claim of being able to use kerosene & diesel. These are being regurgitated which the re-sellers may not be aware of.
    Anyway: I made the point that the claim of being able to use kero & diesel is invalid without being supplied with the appropriate diameter jets.

11. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi
    As much as I hate to contradict you, the nipple size is fine.
    Which is why you CAN burn paraffin if you prime in an effective way.
    If the nipple size was wrong no matter how or how much you primed it would never burn paraffin cleanly.
    These stoves will flare badly if you try to burn paraffin and prime in the usual manner.
    It's all about the positioning of the vapouriser.
    However special priming arrangements shouldn't be necessary in order to burn a fuel for which the stove is advertised and for that reason they shouldn't make that claim.

http://classiccampstoves.com/posts/201143

12. theyellowdog New Zealand

Assuming the jet is the correct size, this should work, if the jet is too big (and you have a spare) it is easy to close a jet a little with a rounded punch.

1317851633-nova_cap_001_453x340.jpg

SIDE BURNS to increase thermal feedback

13. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

I tried my TK-800 on a cocktail of 30% white gas and 70% kero. It flares a little on startup, but then burns fine, with a very powerful blue flame. See here:
    http://classiccampstoves.com/posts/205238

Yonadav

14. Primus 96 United Kingdom

I don't know which jet you are using for the mixed fuel; Is it '35' or '30'?
    My BRS-8A has been fitted in a Nova-Trangia adapter.
    Even with the cold winter wind I had the T27 kettle boiling in 3 min, & by boiling I mean a strong plume of steam. I am experimenting with increasing the paraffin content in the fuel.

15. Primus 96 United Kingdom

1323799638-100_2556.jpg

1323799578-100_2554.jpg
    the pictures I ought to have added to my previous post

In order to fit the Chinese burner to the supplied spirit cup it was necessary to apply a tap with a hammer to put a dent in one side for the fuel inlet. The flame shot was the best I could do for a daytime shot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  16. Primus 96 United Kingdom

I thought I would attempt to finish lingering curiosity about burning paraffin in the BRS-8 stove.
    Not to be tried with a normal stove
    As the illustration in my last post showed I have fitted the BRS8 burner into a Trangia. I have a huge spirit cup & the pre-heating fire is BIG.

1324160042-100_2557.jpg

The above picture is taken with the the '30' jet & 100% paraffin immediately after the last of the meths flame died.
    I boiled a kettle: 3 minutes for a 500ml T27 kettle.
    I let the stove burn for a while with no pot on.
    the burner appeared to cool off somewhat and yellow flame edges appeared, which varied in amount.
    I boiled another kettle. Putting a kettle on again made the stove burn somewhat better, because the burning had cleaned up when the boiling kettle was removed.
    Even with a massive pre-heat from the spirit cup of the Trangia adapter I would not use pure paraffin. The picture below shows the way the flame had deteriorated.

1324160110-100_2564.jpg

I have filled a fuel bottle with what is 70% paraffin and 30% white gas which burns cleanly.

At this point I must say if you want to duplicate what I did, it is your own initiative. I am not advocating that you do.

17. FeralFergal

Hi, new on here & first post. I've just received one of these stoves which I got off ebay. Jut wondering if it is possible to run it on meths as it was stated by the seller it would run on alcohol. I'm not having much luck though. Any advice? Cheers

18. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

I doubt it. Alcohol requires less air - you will have to devise some kind of air restrictor.

Yonadav

19. FeralFergal

OK thanks for that. I guess I'll have to use white gas or butane then. A bit of a shame really as one of the reasons I ordered this stove is because it is meant to be able to run on alcohol

20. mikecombat

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015