1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BRS-8A Multi-Fuel

Discussion in 'China' started by stusanford, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Linus

Do you have a photo of this stove in the storage box? I received mine today and failed to notice how it was stored.

I took it out and ran on kerosene with the number 30 jet. "Preheat is important" is an understatement. The flame died down after an extended preheat and successfull start up. I covered the bottom of a kettle with soot when the flame turned yellow. After a bit of frustration, I added a small amount of 90% alcohol to the fuel and tried again. That works well. I prefer not to use liquid fuels that are more flamable than kerosene in a stove. Low flash point fuel is a danger at a camp site. I have seen what happens when white gas gets too close to a camp fire. It is not pretty.

I have hand cleaner called Gojo that works wonderfully on soot stains.

How to you safely depressurize the fuel bottle? I turned mine upside down and allowed it to vent out the burner.

2. Linus

Second lighting observations.
    In this stove, Sterno paste (jelled alcohol) in the primer cup is perfect. It leaves a residue behind, but it stays put and it can be shaped into a mound for more volume. This stuff is awsome. It burns really hot. As soon as the stove is lit and can sustain itself on kerosene fuel, it gets red hot. The sterno residue burns away. "There is nothing like the smell of Napalm in the morning."

Fuel: Add a small amount of fuel injector cleaner to the fuel. I found that lighting the stove worked well this way. I noticed some use a 30/70 petrol to kerosene mix. You can get by with a lot of kerosene and a small amount of fuel injector cleaner. I added about 20 ml to the bottle. I used this method with diesel (50-100 ml) in a different stove in the past.

Sterno paste is great, but it leaves a residue. This is not a problem with the stove here, but it is really hard to clean off brass parts on a Butterfly pressure stove. The rule of thumb is if the primer cup sits in the fire, the residue goes away. If it sits under a burner, you will be painfully reminded of it every time you light the stove. It leaves its ugly mark in the primer cup.

This stove is like using a flame thrower. It would be nice for boiling water rapidly or cooking in a wok. If you want to simmer, use a Butterfly pressure stove. They are much better for that. Overall, I like the Butterfly stove more than this one.

3. Linus

I added a copper wire to the generator tube. I warapped it around the top of the tube. This helps greatly with lighting a heavy fuel. I will post photos soon.

4. Linus

The instructions for this stove state that Kerosene and Diesel will burn in the stove. Diesel will never vaporize properly. I tried it as an experiment. Yellow flame results. After awhile, the generator tube will cool and the burner will resemble a camp fire. Luckily the flames are restricted to the stove's superstructure. I am using the correct jet for the heavier fuels.

Kerosene will burn with a small amount of volitile fuel added. I use fuel injector cleaner. Basically, this stove will be my butane gas stove (with a jet switch). I am terribly afraid of using gasoline. Kerosene is about as good as it gets, and it is a hassle.

5. Linus

Here is the stove burning diesel. At this point, the stove cooled and the vaporized diesel turned into liquid. What a mess!

1366303720-brs-8a_burning_diesel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

It may be a bit of an assumption but does 30 and 35 on the jets mean 0.30 and 0.35 mm ?
    If it does, these seem just a tad larger and smaller respectively than the values given by Primus in the manual for their Omnifuel. So I'd be curious to know if the Omnifuel jet will fit these Chinese versions and if they perform any better on kerosene for it.
    Primus state that diesel with a 0.28 mm jet will give a very sooty flame, take a long time to prime and need frequent cleaning so the behaviour here does not seem all that surprising.
    Regards
    John

7. Primus 96 United Kingdom

I wrapped the generator loop with thick brass wire.
    It improves heat transfer or increases heating surface to vapourise the heavier fuels effectively.
    With that modification & the addition of extra material in the priming well I can burn 100% paraffin. Just because I can does not mean to say I would do so habitually.
    As they come the stove will not safely use paraffin.
    As for diesel.. As far as I know at present it is only a fuel of last resort even in a true multi-fuel stove offering from the likes of Primus, Optimus or MSR.

BTW: I read Optimus outsources manufacturing of their stoves to China.
    I wondered why the Nova+ looks rather like my BRS-8.

8. zigzigzig United States

I know you posted this a while back but could I ask how the BSR - 8 is holding up for you? I just ordered one and I am trying to do as much research as I can on the stove. I am kind of surprised by the decent to good reviews. Anything you can add to what you have already said would be helpful. Thanks

9. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi,

Firstly, the stove is LOUD and powerful! It burns very well on Coleman type fuel (white gas I think you call it over there) and bottled gas. I never tried mine on kerosene as I don't think it was designed to do so. Enjoy yours!

Best regards,

Wim

10. zigzigzig United States

Thank you very much. I have watched several you tube reviews and I am excited to get it. Thanks for your time.

11. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

There's a leak on mine where the hose screws onto the pump but I got it for my scouts to use on butane and it fits the bill very nicely. It's cost was low enough that I'm not over fussed about liquid fuels. But I agree it's a loud beast.
    Regards
    John