1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brunton Vapor AF

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by RonPH, Mar 19, 2012.

1. RonPH

I got lucky on this one NIB at half price off (the retail price) via Craigslist. Seller was 35 miles away but had a friend visiting her from San Jose so she asked her friend to bring the stove and met up with her friend late at night. When I have time, I will familiarize myself with the stove and fire it up. I guess the stove was made in Japan as labeled at the back. So it goes on the shelf for now :mrgreen:

Hey Duane, yes I overdid myself as this did not come close to my budget :( then again I cant resist a good bargain.

I read a review where the reviewer curiously tested 101 proof RUM on the stove and ran pretty well :shock: I wonder if Tequila would work too :oops: Not trying to get the stove drunk :mrgreen:

1332180833-BruntonVaporAF001.jpg 1332180842-BruntonVaporAF002.jpg

I will see if any of the silent burner caps would also work. Read also somewhere BernieDawg tried a cap from a Camping Gaz canister stove with reasonable success :-k

Any member owns one like this please share your experiences.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Ron, nice score! But I'd keep the rum or tequilla for personal use myself... :D/ :lol:

All the best,

Wim

3. RonPH

Hey Wim, well, the reviewer tested it on his blog to I know it will work. Sometimes, am just curious and would like to see for myself :mrgreen: Will just get the el cheapo high octane rum to try eventually.

Ron

4. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

[-X In that case, we'll have to change your name for Rum then... :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. RonPH

Wim, you really crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Ron

"Just saw Rum Diary (Johnny Depp) was really funny :thumbup: recommended for mature audience"

6. hikin_jim United States

Nice looking stove, Ron. Rumor has it that it's made by Shinfuji Burner of Japan. Shinfuji is the parent company of Soto which makes the MicroRegulator and Muka stoves.

Congrats on a good score on what looks like a nice stove.

HJ

7. RonPH

Hey HJ, thanks for the info. Would it be safe to assume that they were licensed to manufacture the stove for Brunton? And.....that it gave the parent company an idea via a satellite company to make the Soto Stove? Your more knowledgeable so you may be able to give a picture.

In any case, too much work this week so its just polishing stoves for now.

Ron

8. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

Ron, good score, I don't see how you could manage a silent cap because of the leg placement pivot right over the top of the plate?

I had almost bought one once but talked myself out of it based on the mixed reviews online. Let us know how she does. On rum and otherwise! :lol:

9. Viscara United States

Yes I seen that one for a bout a week on Craigslist but since it was all the way up in Berkley I didnt get it. Also I had thought these were made in Korea but I guess I was wrong and lost out on this one. I really wanted to save my money and get a Soto Stove or the Omni Stove from Primus.

Thats a good find though at it come with the Fuel Bottle. The ones online go for 150 bucks and they do not come with the fuel bottle.

10. RonPH

I like the way you can adjust air mixture at the burner bell. Some say it works, some dont. I guess for half price its a good deal.

Speaking of which I was Googling for the highest alcohol content and came up with EVERGREEN but doubt its available in California. Dont lnow why so many restrictions.

Ron

11. Matukat United States

Illegal in California- Everclear

Great find Ron!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Viscara United States

Matukat: LoL thats a good one. I think I would empty the fuel bottle before it got used in the stove.. I would like to try to get a stove to use or burn a bit of some Mountain Dew. Just to know I could cook with it like the old timers back in the Haller used to do back in the day. That would be fun just knowing I could do it.

13. hikin_jim United States

Hi, Ron,

Brunton to my knowledge never made even one stove. They're always marketing stoves made by someone else. Brunton for example was selling Optimus stoves in the US (Brunton Optimus Crux, Brunton Optimus Nova). Right now Brunton is selling Primus stoves.

Shinfuji has been making burners for a long time. The All Fuel is just one of them. I doubt that the All Fuel inspired the Muka, but I suppose it's possible.

HJ

14. RonPH

Hey HJ, well one thing is for sure, the Japanese knowhow on using good materials, craftmanship, and design are very good indeed. Wish they'd get the patents for the old primus design and ressurect it.

Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff.

Have to look over the Vapor tonight without flames.

Ron

15. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Ron, let us know how this works. I'm on the look out for a Brunton Nova. Resisting.
    Duane

16. RonPH

Duane, it performs at par with the DF and Nova. Unfortunately it does NOT run on Rum. The air limiter does work switching from gas to liquid. Could not test it a high altitude. Its a tad lighter than the Nova and DF.

Ron

17. hikerduane

Ron, really? Hmmm! Those are more available than a Brunton Nova and burns so many other fuels. Well, not sure if you were much help financially. :) I'll have to research a little.
    Duane

18. RonPH

Duane, only reason I bought it as it was half priced. No sense spending on it as it does what the DF and Nova do. It just has a n air adjuster which some say does not work. Plus one jet for multifuel including canister fuel. Hope that helps you get one also :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can hear the cash register ka-ching!!!!!!

Ron

19. hikerduane

I'm holding off. Read a few reviews on different stoves. I'm waiting for approval on a new VISA card thru REI and its $100 gift card when I use it and then of course pay that bill. I'll have to decide which stove thru REI I want if any.
    Got my bowlfire parts and rebuilt the R1A, runs sweet with the better brass control cock.
    Duane

20. RonPH

Duane, holding off? Ah the allure of a credit card promo. I can already see where this is going.

Ron