1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buflam #2 Fettled (mostly)

Discussion in 'Charles Twigg & Co Ltd' started by Sparky, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Here is what was under the grime, gold paint and corroded surfaces of the Buflam #2. I was in a hurry to see if it would light so I did not do a splendid job on the clean up. Need to go back and work over the NRV and maybe quench clean the burner; it took a lot to pre-heat it.

1293908295-Fettled_a_opt.jpg

1293908303-Fettled_b_opt.jpg

1293908313-Fettled_c_opt.jpg

1293908320-Fettled_d_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Hi Sparky

Great stove and a great flame!

These stoves are very much undervalued and and do not get the press they deserve.
    As such, over here in the UK, they can be picked up for very little money and are quite common.

This is bound to change at some stage so if anyone wants a solid, reliable British stove, get one now before prices rise.

3. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Trevor, I find it peculiar that this stove has no engraving on it whatsoever. Except for the marking on the filler cap and the pan, the company name does not appear on this stove. Have you any ideas why?

4. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Sparky,

Probably cost reduction. Earlier stoves seemed to have been engraved, later ones just had a transfer which probably got lot years ago. There is some evidence that a few of the UK manufacturers took parts from other manufacturers and just "badge engineered" them with transfers. I can't recall if it's ever been proven that was the case with Buflam in later years.

As Trevor says, Buflam and many other British stoves aren't appreciated. However they work just as well as the Swedish equivalents, and the threads etc are generally the same so the parts still available for Swedish stoves can be used to fettle British stoves.

Cheers, Graham.