Bukta Methex Spirit Stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by gixer, Apr 5, 2010.

1. gixer

Hi all,

Have recently acquired a Methex spirit stove and would like to know any information on this stove.
    Thought I would add some pictures of this stove. So that you can see what condition it is in.

1354888639-DSC00594.JPG 1354888649-DSC00595.JPG

1354888655-DSC00596.JPG 1354888663-DSC00597.JPG

Many Thanks
    Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

Very nice. Thanks for sharing it with us.

HJ

3. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Gixer,

Nice version, and great that it's complete with the box. I think these were produced during the 1950's and possibly into the 1960's. Have a look in the Stove Reference Gallery as there are also some other examples posted. Bukta still exists making sports equipment but sadly they no longer produce stoves.

I have one of the Methex stoves and like it very much. They are quite similar to the various versions of the Turm Touring stoves. I assume one was a derivative of the other and I suspect Turm was the original (someone with a more definitive view might come along shortly).

Cheers, Graham.

4. mobien1234

Is that an instruction booklet you have there. I have the stove but haven't got it running well. Would appreciate a run down of lighting it.

5. gixer

Hi thats the box for the stove. easy to light allow some meths into the tray and light keep letting a little meths in untill burner lights and your away.
    hope that helps

kind regards mark.

6. mobien1234

Hi Mark, yes I was playing about with it today.When I open the valve nothing comes out. I primed the burner by pouring meths into it and keeping the lid slightly closed. This helped to pressurise the tank and got it off to a good start.What is the cap at the front of the stove for ?

Mick

7. gixer

Hi,

I think that the small cap on the front of the stove is for the removal of some sort of wick, not 100% sure, but im sure some of the other users could throw some light on it.

As regards to pressurising the tank, I think it is supposed to be gravity feed as mine burns best with the cap of the tank slightly loose. I have had the problem of no meths coming through myself, but a slight blow into the tank seems to clear the blockage. Hope this helps :)

8. mobien1234

MARK,,THANKS AGAIN. PICKED UP A BRIT MILITARY STOVE AT THE WEEKEND, SO ANOTHER NEW TOY TO PLAY WITH. YOU KNOW THE BIG GREEN PETROL ONES.

MICK

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

No need to shout, Mick... :-$

10. gixer

Hi Mick,

What stove did you buy as I have the No3 twin burner which I have converted from petrol to paraffin. I also have the No2, single burner.

Kind Regards
    Mark

11. Andy BB

Hi Mark. Sorry for butting into the conversation, but how exactly did you convert the Mk 2 to kerosene? I have a very nice No 2 Mk 2 modified running well on petrol, but prefer kero.