Burmos No.96

Discussion in 'Townson & Coxson' started by presscall, Oct 13, 2012.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Having put right a manufacturing fault with the soldering of the pump tube end stop on this Burmos ...

Classic stove manufacturing faults

... I decided to get a few shots of the stove in the Stove Reference Gallery to keep a record of it on file while it's still back in one piece and working ... a swipe there at the Burmos's dodgy reliability record (1 fault in 60 years lags Primus)

Fine looking thing for all that

1350142021-10.JPG

Not the original tin, but it's not ridiculously roomy, is all-aluminium (so hasn't rusted) and when the Burmos conks out again I can always revert it back to its original role as a sandwich box

1350142038-11.JPG

1350142047-12.JPG

The flame plate is a handsome iron casting, the raised lettering making a change from the incised inscription on a Primus 96

1350142058-13.JPG

The vapourising tube mounting boss has the Burmos name engraved on one of the hexagon flats

1350142071-14.JPG

With no date lettering on the stove it's a bit of a guess when it was made, but likely to be early-1950's.

Post-war Britain was going all-out to rebuild its economy, including tinkering with the balance of trade. Manufacturing was geared to exporting products whilst imports (including some Primus stoves) were restricted. Though this particular Burmos must have been released to the home market the reference to 'kerosene' as well as paraffin suggests it could just as easily have found its way in a crate of other Burmos products headed to a country where kerosene was a more familiar name for the fuel than paraffin

1350142082-15.JPG

Burmos trade mark

1350142093-16.JPG

Straight copy of the neatly-stowed Primus pump knob

1350142110-17.JPG 1350142127-18.JPG

Windshield is nothing like the Primus equivalent however, which possibly makes it not original to the stove (though a perfect fit) since other examples of the Burmos 96 in the Stove Ref Gallery have a Primus pattern windshield copy, in steel and not brass as the Primus is

1350142140-19.JPG

1350142154-20.JPG

The burner performs well, perhaps overfuelling a bit at full stretch without a pot on board ...

1350142168-21.JPG

1350142185-22.JPG

... but fuelling perfectly at moderate settings

1350142205-23.JPG 1350142220-24.JPG 1350142235-25.JPG

Simmer's good and reliable

1350142302-28.JPG

Yes, a good performer ... and it subsequently went back in the sandwich box without having anything break on it too

1350142260-26.JPG

1350142279-27.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Rick b

Hi John, lovely stove,and great flame shots. The engraving on the font is very nice.

3. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John first class documented post,of the Burmos96.
    Your Burmos is running realy well,and the tank lettering is realy nice,This model realy is a close copy to a original Primus96. The windshield on the Burmos96 is very simular to the windshield on a Monitor touring stove

4. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Very nice John :thumbup: I do like the very crisp stampings on the tank and the other small Burmos markings. The windshield looks the part and looks very practical. I like it! :mrgreen: Hope you are well and look forward to seeing you again in the New Year. Steve

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Thanks fellas. Sorry I couldn't get to the Ashover Festival Steve and yes, I'm fine thanks. Hoping Redspeedster (Gary) is intending to arrange another North East meet. Couldn't be further from where you are sadly if so.

John

6. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

@presscall
    Many Thanks for "NRV fault" info...

My B-96 is back to service.
    Working nice - and gives Me a lot of fun...
    (Before - I was thinking - "burning hundreds of c. stoves gives Me knowlege and makes Me secure in THIS subject"...
    ... till this stove :) )
    ----------
    1. Is proper situation - diameter of rising tube is less (circa 1mm) then inner diameter of burner?
    I'am using piece of alu foil to close this distance.
    Before - not enough heat was backing to tank - pressure was to low.

2. When I'am "switching off" by reducing pressure in tank - I'am "playing with Fire" on fuel caps p.valve.
    Is wind shield reduce this problem?
    96.jpg

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @gieorgijewski

If you are using kerosene (paraffin) - which you should use (don't use gasoline or Coleman fuel or naphtha), there is no problem releasing the pressure: the kerosene vapour will not explode.

Tony

8. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Oh Yes...
    it is - main problem...

kerosene (paraffin) - is not popular in My region - country...

everything is burned on gasoline - except primitive light lamps

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @gieorgijewski

It is dangerous to use gasoline in that stove: very dangerous.

Best regards

Tony

10. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

thanks
    I understand... weight of this words...