BURMOS

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Robert Bruce, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well , after finding a Primus 210 on the bay of evil which was too dear even though it looked pristine , with postage just not on. So decided the BURMOS was just as good, it had languished on the shelf for too long. I fired it up but it lost preasure in the pump area, oh well that's easy just do the NRV, it was stuck solid, tried all sorts of penetrating oil to no avail. So without damaging it I took the pump out, de soldered the end after removing the spring , pip and retainer.mi was left with the base of the NRV intact, held the bottom thing in the vice applied some heat and it screwed out. The NRV was undamaged. Re soldered the bottom thing back. All good. Screwed the NRV back with a new pip and now led washer, some never sease and it was good . Soldered the pump tube back and soapy water tested it and it still leaked. Tried a different NRV and it was the same. Time for some coffee and a think ! So it was out with the NRV then remove the pump tube again. Put the NRV back , pump rod inserted.. Some pumping on a glass of soapy water and bubbles somewhere in the bottom , with just a little water and the torch I could see the bubbles are coming from just up from the bottom of the tube. A cracked pump tube was the problem all along. With no other pump tube from a doner I would have a go at soldering it. Easy but the problem now is getting the tube back, a little filing and it went back. Now just solder it again. Getting practice at this , now it holds preasure, quick clean up, fuel and prime. Wow it works like a beauty.
    I notice the burner has a screw in it at the top which I assume is a nifty way of getting at the jet, left it as the burner was good.
    Now this little BURMOS needs a box and the other stuff to go with it, only have the bung, legs, and trivit. A new project mmmmmmm.
    Time to make some tea on my new to me Russian 8r which not long ago came in the post. That's another storey for another time . See some pics.

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. theyellowdog

Burmos stoves often have cracked pump tubes and no lead washer on the nrv, in my experience.

4. Robert Bruce

Thanks, I also had another look at my Valor but it has a silent burner. Also had a look at my tool box to find what I thought was a tool for the BURMOS burner and found it, so as I couldent help but try a screwdriver on the nut , it was not tight at all.
    Theyellowdog , I now realise the crack is a common problem. This is a bit of a disappointment as the stove is otherwise a quality product. Oh well fixed now.
    Also tried the quote thingey, suppose that is what it is ment to do. Was looking for the name quote thingey but could not find it.

Cheers
    Rob

5. Robert Bruce

Ummm, been looking at the stove reference gallery, the only ones like it are fixed leg, I found a detachable leg one with the same filler cap and air screw which it says does not have a reserve cap and I assume is ment to leave the burner in place. This is a mistrey to me. I was going to make a box to fit it collapsed down and found a suitable cap for transport. Don't know now ?

Cheers
    Rob

6. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Been there, done that, taken the pictures. In my case the end plate of the pump tube was a slightly larger diameter than the inner diameter of the tube...... no wonder it cracked.

Otherwise I totally agree that the quality is good.

Regards
    John

7. kerophile

Hi, the Burmos 51, which you appear to have, and the silent sister the Burmos 55 are collapsible, 1.75 pint capacity, stoves.
    They were fitted with a reserve cap usually chained to the stove :

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/burmos-55.8592/

I think there are 6 or 7 of these collapsible Burmos stoves in the Reference Gallery.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  8. Robert Bruce

Kerophile, thanks, there is no 55 written on the stove but it looks like one. I see in the example a chain from one leg which makes sense . I think I will do that and make a box for it collapsible . Your segestion some time ago of od shaped fuel bottles to fit in the spaces is a good one. This time I will make it smaller and a better fit.

Cheers
    Rob

9. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Doesn't surprise me that there is no engraving on the stove. Over the years various cost savings were made. I have 4 no. 21s some are engraved others are not.
    Regards
    John

10. Robert Bruce

Started on the box, had some timber left over from another project. Got it buiscuit jointed glued and clamped. Next I will sand and cut the mitres . Something satisfiring about working with timber. Doesn't look like much yet but the next instalment you will see something,,,, I hope.

Cheers
    Rob image.jpeg

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Robert Bruce

My next door neighbour is a boat builder... Working with timber is indeed a satisfying activity.

Next time I come up to your part of the world I must come out and look at your shed!

Cheers

Tony

12. Robert Bruce

Tony, please do come out. The shed is a good place to work and play.
    You can see some of us at our web site, just google Poachers Pantry and have a look.
    Today I took the timber out of the clamps, mitered the ends glued the corners and clamped again. Put the sides on the top. Tomorrow I will assemble it then do the dove tails. I will post some pics then.

Cheers
    Rob

13. Robert Bruce

Oh yes I have not tried making a timber boat, just done restoration on them. Wooden boats are a large project, my brother has built a fiew but I will leave them to him. My family has always had them and I must admit it's a bit of been there done that. I have a large project coming up, a six room vertical slab hut to reassemble, it's stacked away. It took two part time years to pull down and stack here. I think I will enjoy this one.

Cheers
    Rob

14. Robert Bruce

For those that won't to try some false dovetails here is them put in but not sandered off. Also you will see the jig which the router slides in to cut them.

Cheers
    Rob

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

15. Robert Bruce

Today as its raining I did some more on the box, made a triangle flask for metho. Put first coat of marine varnish. Now when dry the holding things in the box and a final sand then it's finished.

Cheers
    Rob image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Great!
    What happened to the brass corner plates?

17. JonD

JonD United Kingdom Subscriber

I wondered about that too.
    So far it looks like corner plates are only fitted at one end.

18. Robert Bruce

Trevor and Jon, the brass furniture goes on after the last coat of varnish. Today I fit the inside things, sand then varnish.

Cheers
    Rob

19. Robert Bruce

Finished the box, just got one metho container to make. I have run out of brass but have plenty of copper sheet, so that will be it.

Cheers
    Rob image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

20. kerophile

Hi Rob, lovely work in creating such a great outfit.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.