Canadian Coleman 'Pioneer' 445 Double Burner Kerosene - Rare

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by idahostoveguy, Jan 29, 2012.

1. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

As far as I know, this is really a production stove from Coleman in Canada and sold in the Australian market. Those Canadians really know how to design stoves. At first glance, I thought it was homemade, but after reviewing the photos and then finally looking at the device with my very own eyes, I finally believe that this is for real.

It's a Coleman suitcase stove with two kerosene burners!!!

I've seen photos of three others. One was on auction out of Australia quite a few months ago. It was not complete but it was actually one of these. The seller I bought this from had two and just removed the other from the auction block. There must be some under-the-table trading going on. The other photo is on this site from 2004 at:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1141/

So, here it is. The best of both worlds - kerosene double burner in a Coleman suitcase....

1327823245-pioneer445_022.jpg
    [/url]

Here it is with the case closed. Looks like an ordinary suitcase stove from Canada.

1327823257-pioneer445_001.jpg

Opening the case reveals two kerosene burners. The grate is not attached to the case and lifts out like a Model 425's grate.

1327823272-pioneer445_002.jpg

Here's a little closer shot of the stove. You'll notice that the burners are attached to a metal strip that runs from the tank. There are two holes on each side of the case. The flame control knob is accessed through these holes for each burner.

1327823280-pioneer445_003.jpg

Took the grate off to have a look and install the burners into the case. The burners and tank must be lifted out of the case to install it. The legs must also stay in the position they are in to allow this to happen.

1327823292-pioneer445_004.jpg

Here is the tank and burners pulled from the case. I removed the inner and out caps on the silent burners.

1327823301-pioneer445_007.jpg

When installing, both burners must be installed from underneath the case through the large holes in the floor of the case. Also, the strip of metal the burner is attached to must also end up inside the case to hold the burner in place. This must be done with each burner. Also, the tank must be hung onto the case with the familiar tabs protruding from the fuel tank.

1327823314-pioneer445_008.jpg

So here's a side view of the left burner showing the strip installed inside of the case to hold the burner up in tandem with the other side and the tabs on the tank. It is quite solid after one figures this little trick out. Once the burners and tank are installed, then the legs can be moved into the correct holding position.

1327823324-pioneer445_009.jpg

Once the burners are in position, the flame control knobs can be extended through the holes in the sides for each knob. The right burner's knob is stuck and won't move yet.

1327823333-pioneer445_010.jpg

Now for the curious part about the stove - the burners. Each burner is a Svea #1915 burner with associated inner and out caps, not shown. The knobs are genuine Coleman knobs fitted as the control knob. These are the same burners used on the Homestrand Mariner except to burner kerosene by default.

1327823344-pioneer445_011.jpg

The filler cap and pump look typical, but actually are slightly different. The filler cap is of the same dimensions as those found on Coleman 500 stoves or the 242 lantern. It will require a small funnel to fill the tank such as the Coleman #0 funnel or the Coghlan's funnel with flutes.

The pump is not your ordinary Coleman pump. This one is a locking style pump, but it also locks the pump handle down when locked. You must turn the knob until the pump handle is loosen, and then you can pump the tank with pressure.

1327823376-pioneer445_014.jpg

There's the genuine Coleman knob that appears original to this stove, fitted on the Svea burner. It looks so bizarre to me.

1327823389-pioneer445_015.jpg

Here's the under side of the burner and tank assembly. There's a small diameter tube that runs from the tank to the burner. It's definitely not something done at home. I've seen 4 of these in pictures, they are all made identically.

1327823399-pioneer445_016.jpg

Here's the tube attached to the tank.

1327823435-pioneer445_017.jpg

A view of the burner and fuel tank tab assembly.

1327823442-pioneer445_018.jpg

Here is the tank and burner assembly from the opposing view.

1327823466-pioneer445_019.jpg

Here's the burner with the knob extended. It's a bit grimy since I did not take any time to clean up this rare item.

1327823478-pioneer445_020.jpg

Here's the knob back to it's collapsed position.

1327823489-pioneer445_021.jpg

Well, I hope that shows some of the features of the 445. As time goes on, I'll get the stove cleaned up and eventually to firing it up.

As for date of manufacture, the spiritburner thread I included up above dates this stove to late 50s to early 60s. The seller I bought this stove from described the stove as being exclusively designed for the Australian market and just after WW2. I will have to lean towards the seller's description due to the similarity to early suitcases of the 40s. I believe the case is similar to the Coleman 3H with rectangular windscreens, legs, similar cutouts and lid attachment.

As far as I know, there are no markings or embossed letters anywhere on the stove, even on the tabs of the fuel tank.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. nzmike

Good find! Coleman kero, how very interesting! I await with interest to see how it runs... 8)

3. RonPH

Now that Sam, is an interesting stove. The burners were made in sweden so I would safely think that the burners are similar to their swedish cousins. Congratulations on a great find. Me thinking though is that with that setup that you do have to prime each burner. Am I correct?

Ron

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

That's right Ron. Each burner must be primed. It's just like other similar double burners such as the Optimus 22, Homestrand Mariner, Campingo No. 2, where fuel vaporization occurs at the specific burner and no general vaporizer or generator exists, like in the typical Coleman suitcase stove. It's like the Lion 124 I just posted. I'm used to seeing the typical Coleman burners and generator sitting in the suitcase. Seeing the kero burners in there is still foreign to me.

sam

5. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

After tearing down both burners, I finally have both burners burning blue. It took some work to get the one on the right to operate correctly. I finally put on an Optimus outer cap and that fixed the erratic flame problem. The original Svea 1915 outer cap was a little rusty and carbon fouled in each flame hole. I cleaned it out after these photos were taken and found it to operate correctly now.

1332653139-445Flames_001a.jpg
    Here's the Coleman 445 doing a boil-up with my favorite 1-litre kettles. Boil time was 5:40, consistent with my other silent kerosene burners.

I like the idea of burning kero in a Coleman suitcase. I never would have thought it would be in this way. I remember back about 20 years ago, trying to burn kerosene in a Coleman 425C because I didn't know any better. White gas? What was that? It was the first time I had ever tried to light up a camp stove and was at a time when I knew absolutely nothing about them, and bought the cheapest fuel on the shelf for the money - a 5 gallon can of kerosene for about $12. My, how things change when you figure stuff out!

So, here it is, one of the only operating, Coleman suitcase stoves, that I know of, performing beautifully on kerosene as it was designed and meant to be, from Coleman (and Svea), without modification.

1332653167-445Flames_004.jpg
    Here's a shot of it working. Notice the tank, which is about the size of a Coleman 425 suitcase tank, has a fuel cap where the main valve ought to be. Had to totally rework the pump and check valve. Completely fouled. New pump leather was added.

1332653199-445Flames_007a.jpg
    Here's the right hand burner that I tore down completely to the graphite packing. It was carbon fouled but not beyond repair. This shot is one where the tank was running out of fuel at the end of the first burn.

1332653212-445Flames_008.jpg
    The left burner at the end of the first burn run. The first run went through about half a tank of kero. Half a litre?

1332653231-445Flames_009.jpg
    Second run with both burners going, burning a little better blue. I'm so used to seeing Coleman hardware in the case, it's odd to see the Svea's in there.

1332653243-445Flames_010.jpg
    It's difficult to get a better blue than this. I know one thing, it took cleaning, and quenching, heat proof washers, new jets, and cap to get this burning to do the deed.

1332653263-445Flames_012.jpg
    Another shot showing the control knob, which is obviously Coleman. In some ways this is such a mixed up mutt!

1332653282-445Flames_013.jpg
    Left burner burning on low, showing the cap red hot - not underburning though.

1332653469-445Flames_014a.jpg
    Both burners going nicely after about 30 minutes.

1332653501-445Flames_015.jpg
    The tank is a little warm at this point but still touchable. During the fettle, I had the burners outside of the case, which made the tank get extremely hot. Not a good idea to run outside of the case without some form of heat shield.

1332653517-445Flames_016.jpg
    The right burner on low but not simmer.

1332653533-445Flames_017.jpg
    Both burners on low. Nice setup. It was still burning some old grease off the grate and other areas. Have not done an official cleaning yet. I'm postponing that until I can officially paint the case.

1332653546-445Flames_018.jpg
    One more parting shot of the right hand burner that I had so much trouble with. I think I have it right now. Just look at the blue little dots!

Hope you enjoyed that as much as I did.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  6. theyellowdog

Hi Sam

Nice stove, kind of similar to this tibco stove, made in New Zealand. TIBCO 2 BURNER 1299487591-DSC02447__320x240_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Ok, so I've made a mistake. After doing careful research and exchanging emails with two individuals from down under, this two burner Coleman was not made in Canada.

I was hoping to share some information that Handi-Albert has supplied to me but I haven't been able to get his permission (have lost contact with him for some reason) to share a key piece of information that proves that this stove was actually made in Australia, so I guess for now, that the info that David Moody has supplied will suffice.

David Moody from down under has also gracefully shared some images with me, particularly the label on a 404 Bushman. The label shown below would be the same as on the Pioneer, only it would say, 'Pioneer' and the model number would be 445, which Handi-Albert has supplied but has not given permission to show.

1337746388-IMG_1316_800x600.jpg

The next image from David Moody is the clincher. On Handi-Albert's 445, the following sticker is on the case but the key phrase is mostly scratched out except for the part of one word, 'arrangement', which clearly shows in David's photo,

Made in Australia by arrangement with

The Coleman Lamp and Stove Company Ltd.

Of Canada

Here's the intact label off of David Moody's 404 Bushman that is the same as the 445 Pioneer that Handi-Albert has:
    1337746425-IMG_2227_800x600.jpg

Here's a direct quote from David Moody on the Coleman Pioneer Model 445:

Hopefully, I'll be able to gather more on this rare stove and share it with you.

(Mods, if it is at all possible, would you mind changing the title of this Topic so that it reads:
    Australian Coleman 'Pioneer' 445 Double Burner Kerosene - Rare

And also, text in the original post should be edited so that where it says 'Canada' or 'Canadian', it should say 'Australia' or 'Australian', respectively.)

Many thanks to David Moody and to Handi-Albert for the history lessons on this and other Coleman products out of Australia!

Thanks,
    sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Handi-Albert has given permission to post an image of the label below of the Coleman Pioneer that was made in Australia. You can see the strong similarities between the 404 Bushman label with the differences being the word 'Pioneer' versus 'Bushman', 'Kerosene Folding Stove' versus 'Folding Stove', and the model number 445 versus 404. With this label and the Bushman label, we can say that the same Australian plant made this stove and thus the Coleman 445 Pioneer was made in Australia.

The phrase 'Kerosene Folding Stove' also provides evidence that the stove was to use kerosene as an original design intent. When I first saw the stove, my thoughts were that this stove was a frankenstove, but was actually designed by the manufacturer that way, with Svea burners, which use kerosene, which was the main fuel used for the time period.

Many thanks to Albert for providing a photo of the label. As far as I know, it is the only existing one there is.

1339503726-445_Coleman_Stove_003watermark.jpg

sam

P.S. If you would like more information and possibly a high-res image of the label without watermark, please PM Handi-Albert.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  9. Rick b

Hi Sam, incredible find. Thanks for the great photos and and research on this fantastic stove.

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I had not checked this out previously Sam, great find and research.
    Duane

11. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Thanks guys! But all thanks to David Moody and Handi-Albert for pointing me in the right direction.

Now I'm going to fire up the stove again. Got lots of kerosene to make a couple of nice blue flames.

cheers,
    sam

12. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Took out the old Pioneer to see how it would do on a picnic. Threw on some frozen burgers and in a short while, had two scrumptious burgers...

Still runs great!

1377046061-445_001a.jpg

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  13. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

very nice Sam, not sure how I missed this thread, there is also another Aussie 2 burner Coleman owned by Lamp Doc, Bob, who is also a member on the CCF, but not sure if it burns Kero. That lid decal that you posted from David, is the same 1 thats on a Canadian 6 J, its missing on my 6 J, I haven't had 1 made up yet
    Jan

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Wow, simply Wow. Just when you may think you have seen all the variations manufactured.... there is this.
    Thanks Sam,
    Ken in NC

15. monkeyboy

man that is one beautiful stove.

buzz

16. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Well done finding and identifying this rare gem, Sam! Fantastic info and pics!