Case Thumbler

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Runegutt, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Runegutt

Today, I am cleaning a bad 96 in my casethumbler. I wonder how the old 96 will be.
    If this experiment turns out ok, I will put all of my brasstoves in the thumbler.

I will tell you how this goes later this afternoon.
    ( its 4:48 PM here)

2. Runegutt

Thats the easiest method I have ever used to clean a stove.
    Now my H?vik 210 is in it.
    Not the burner part, just the tank.
    If that is kleaning out as much as the 96, it would look nearly rediculusly shining.

3. Runegutt

The 210 is in its finest lustre ever.
    Case Tumbler, and then brass polish.

NICE

So The Standard 41 are soon to go in the tumbler.......
    :idea: :idea: :idea:

4. bark2much

...should be exhibted in the photo lineup.

Help us witness their beauty...

5. Runegutt

There isnt a single ccd in the world which will survive the lustre from my 210 :D :D :D

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Runegutt,

What kind of case tumbler do you have? Do you do cartridge reloading, or do you have it as a "rock hound"? I have a huge Dillon case tumbler, but it's a vibrating machine and not a true tumbler. Works pretty darned good on cartridge cases, though, which are brass. So, I'd bet it would work nicely on brass stove parts, too. Thanks for the idea!

Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark (6.5x55mm FOREVER!) :D

7. Runegutt

Mine too is a wibrating thing. And... I use 6,5x55 :-)
    The stoves ( I have tried three) is lovely.
    Its onlu one of them, a H?vik Standard 41 that has some stains that will not dissapaire.
    I think I have to polish it with a sledgehammer.

I shoot in "L?dingen Skytterlag."
    I use a Mauser M/67, with 21mm barrell and Kongsberg trigger.
    Busk Diopter.

8. bark2much

Mine is unmodified 96. It can group 1" at 50 yds. That translates to 2" at 100, but it is a little too far to see the target with bare eyes. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a diopter... Plenty of meat left in the barrel, the disk is stamped 1. I am glad I secured one for myself. I can kick myself for not getting an M1938 in excellent condition, while I had a chance!

One of the great things Swedes contributed to the mankind, next to the stoves.

9. Runegutt

Try stoveparts in brass, in your thumbler. The will be as shiny as ewer.

10. rik_uk3

Would a Tumbler not be abrasive?

Whats wrong with citric acid bath and a little brasso + some elbow grease

11. Runegutt

A wibrating tumbler is wery gentle with the brass. Reloders are wery careful with their shells.

The tumbler is a easy way to polish brass, without scrubbing your fingers off...

So if you have a tumbler, use it.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Guys,

Runegutt is right about the vibrating tumblers being gentle on whatever you put into them. In my own, I use super fine ground walnut hulls, with a polishing compound added to them, as the polishing medium. They work great. I may have to dig out my Dillon tumbler and give it a try. 'Course, I'll start with a junker stove, about which I have no great attachment! ;) But, having used the tumbler on many other things over the years, I'll bet it will "work a treat"! :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

13. rik_uk3

Sorry Runegutt and Doc, I'll stick with the "Classic" way of cleaning my stoves (not that I do often) and use Alberts tried and trusted method of citric acid bath.

I used to buy reloaded ammo when I shot pistols back in the 80's so I guess the tumbler is fine, it just don't fit the whole classic stove thing for me

14. Runegutt

Warm vater+ citric accid + dishwasher is ok, but the tumler with corncob takes the brass to a nearly crazy lustre. I tried this on a stove which I have used almost anything to get i shiny, and this is the best method ever.

PS I use the casetumbler for clarinet mechanicks too. Silver finish only. With Nickel/crome finish, I use to put the mechanics in my dishwashermachine.

I have washed the nickelplated parts of an Optimus 350CP in the dishwasher, and NIIICE
    :idea: :idea: :idea:

15. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

I polished a junker Svea 123 fount in my case vibrator. I plugged the outlet with a foam earplug. It worked fine to keep the medium out of the fount. The fount almost screams, it's so shiny.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to bush the threads. I suppose I could return the fount to service by soldering the riser in place. I have some low temp. silver bearing solder that might do the trick. As long as I'm soldering, I could solder leg bushes onto the fount body first, then make up another set of legs out of salvaged steel wire tent pegs.

Simply soldering legs to the fount would make a miniature fixed leg stove. Not entirely practical, but there's no reason not to do it.

Nordicthug

16. Runegutt

So I will preassume that Nordicthug is pleased with his casetumbler used for stove parts :?: :?: