CASG #10!!!

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Subscriber

I wish I could make it, I'm sure that this is going to be a fine event! I look forward to seeing photos and hearing your reports.

Wishing you all safe travels and well wishes.

2. hikin_jim

Dang, that's too bad. Of the different locations that CASG's have been held at, I think Mid-Hills is the closest to Diamond Valley (although it's still a fair piece of driving). Think good thoughts for us, and I bet we can accommodate you last minute, particularly during mid-week if things open up in your schedule. There will be some really interesting one-of-a kind stoves there, I can pretty much guarantee that. A more hopeless case of stove addition cannot be found. :lol:

HJ

3. hikin_jim

I have some adapters that I plan to bring to the CASG if anyone wants to do some canister refilling. I have:
    • A 100% butane to threaded canister refiller
    • A threaded to threaded refiller (which is used to fill small threaded canisters from large threaded canisters)
    • A PowerMax refiller
    • A CV 270/CV 470 refiller
    Please bring cans to refill and donor canisters if you would like to top off or refill any canisters.

HJ

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Howdy, All,

I finally heard from Big Jim, and it looks like he's not going to be able to join us, sorry to say. He's been as sick as a dog, and has very little energy, and little stamina. He said that, if his new meds make him feel better, he might come for the weekend. But, I advised him to stay home, and fully recuperate, before sleeping on the ground, during chilly nights. I did say that IF he felt like coming, I would help him setup his camp. But, I encouraged him to wait for the next Gathering, and spend his time totally recovering from his illness. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. We have been taking our old North Face VE25, which we bought from Campmor, back in the 1980's. But, when I pulled it out, today, it was all stuck together, and had "that smell" that nobody likes! Darn it! Oh, well, maybe we'll bring the newer VE Mountain 25.... or the Moss Starlet GT, of the TNF Westwind, or Firefly..... or.....??? Our tent came with a full lifetime warranty, so we'll send in the VE25, and I know that North Face will take care of us! Great company in that way!

5. hikin_jim

Sorry to hear that about Big Jim. :( Well, and your tent too.

HJ

6. hikin_jim

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That looks like a great spot for CASG!

Have fun!

Tony

8. hikin_jim

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll arrive around lunch time.

I'm bringing an Optimus 111B that I bought about a year ago in Bishop at a consignment store. I know that the pip in the valve can become unreliable. If anyone had a spare and was willing to part with it, I would be certainly willing to purchase it.

Have kero will travel,

HJ

9. Doc Mark

Hey, HJ,

Not planning to burn kero in your 111B, are you? I'd not recommend it, for what it's worth. Are you bringing the needed tools to redo your SRV and NRV? See you tomorrow. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

HJ, I'll have my parts bin, just got some fresh pips from Ross. Do I need to bring a nrv tool to fit?
    Duane

Will have one of my 100 year old 96s too.

11. hikin_jim

Hi, @Doc Mark

No! Heavens no. A 111B is (as I'm sure you know) for Benzine (i.e. gasoline in the American vernacular). I had promised to bring some kerosene since it was on sale for $5/gallon at Walmart and I picked up 3 gallons which is more than I'll use in the next 20 years. I don't have any tools. If someone has some that I may borrow, then I will work on my 111B; otherwise I will amuse myself with other stoves ... or point the pump way from myself if I fire my 111B. If there are any pesky neighbors... ;)

@hikerduane
    I have no tools, so if you can work with me on that, that would be MUCH appreciated.

HJ

12. Doc Mark

Hey, HJ,

I was just pulling your leg! And, yes, I do have pips, and tools. No worries! See you tomorrow!

Doc

13. hikin_jim

Listen, @Doc Mark , it's safety first with me. My kerosene isn't going to be allowed anywhere near my 111B... yeah I keep it over by the loose blasting caps and dynamite. You won't see me letting kerosene near a 111B, no sir. ;)

HJ

14. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Ill have my smaller nrv tool in my truck, next to that pump. I'll put the landmines in the bed to shake off the dirt on the drive to the CG. )
    Duane

15. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Have fun people. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. I'll be raising a glass to you guys & Bajabum.

16. hikin_jim

If anyone likes USGS topographic maps (similar to an Ordnance Survey map in the UK), here is a link:
    https://caltopo.com/m/AR1F

I've marked out several trails and other points of interest.

HJ

17. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

My truck has GPS, may be able to pick up a map somewhere. Raining lightly here all day. Hopefully no snow on the passes heading down 395 to slow me down.
    Duane

18. Doc Mark

Morning, All,

Safe driving to one and all who are headed to the CASG #10 event today, or whenever you plan on arriving. We should have around 10-11 folks showing up today, with a few more on Thursday, and maybe a few weekend day visitors. This should be a great event, as the weather looks perfect, and the company outstanding!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. If someone calls the house whilst we are away, don't be shocked when another man answers the phone! It will be my brother, who always house-sits when we have to be away from home! He will take a message, or you can just leave one on the machine, if needed.

19. hikin_jim

Glad to know that Mrs. Doc hasn't had a "certain surgery." :lol: ;)

I'm on my way after considerable delay. Be there God willing by 1800 PDT.

HJ

20. hikin_jim

Just got back from CASG 10. Beautiful weather and fabulous stoves. :D/

I only had my iPhone and didn't take many photos. Hopefully others will add more soon.

HJ

image.jpeg