1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas Coleman 530, from Mom!

Discussion in 'Coleman No:530 'GI'' started by Doc Mark, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, All,

My wonderful Mother-in-law found me yet another stove, at "that same old swap meet"! She gave it to me for Christmas this year! Originally priced at $20, the seller had "marked it down" to $15, and Mom "negotiated" the price down to $12!! What a Mother-in-law!!! It's blessed I am, indeed, to have such a fine Mom as this!! Here is the stove she found me:

1293761216-DSCN0028_opt.jpg 1293761233-DSCN0029_opt.jpg 1293761253-DSCN0030_opt.jpg 1293761268-DSCN0032_opt.jpg

Looks like all this 530 needs is a new fuel cap gasket, as the original one has rotted. I will fire it up, for sure, and will hoist a glass 'o the black in honor of my sweet Mother-in-law, and all the great stoves she has found me over the years!! Love ya', Mom!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (very few men love their Mother-in-law like I love mine!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. cazna New Zealand

Giddy Doc,

I have one of these as well but havent fired it up yet, Not really sure how they work???

Could you please do me the honour of adding a small how to start the 530,
    That would be much appreciated.

Happy New year.

3. Aluminum Junkie

Aluminum Junkie United States Subscriber

Doc,
    How lucky you are to have family member that get's it!
    We all have something that ring's our bell. Not all famiy members understand what makes stovie's tick! I have had several of these early Colemans. I gave a brand new one to a friend a while back. These used to be pretty easy to find where I live, but not so much anymore. Great stove, I believe they were called a pocket stove back in the day. Must have been a big pocket!

Cheers,

Byron

4. lanevitt United Kingdom

:rage:

I paid that much for a repro' wrench/tool for mine !!! AND you have the heat plate aswell !!!

5. davidcolter

It runs on gasoline, preferably white gas / Shellite / Coleman fuel. Vehicle fuel will work but is a bit smellier and will gum up the generator eventually, it is easy to remove and clean this.

Pressurize the tank with 20 pumps or so, keeping your thumb over the hole.

When you are done, keep your thumb pressed over the hole. If the pump tries to rise up against your thumb, the check valve is leaking and this must be fixed before you go any further.

Lock the pump check valve with a turn to the right.

Leave the stove for a few minutes and check to see if it is holding pressure and that there are no fuel leaks.

If all is well rotate the bent wire cleaning lever a couple of times and leave it pointing down.

Open the main valve 1/4 of a turn. You should get a spluttering delivery of fuel and air from the jet. If you have only air, or only liquid fuel, then the fuel/air pickup tube in the tank needs cleaning.

If you are getting a healthy splutter, make sure you are upwind of the stove and light that puppy!

You will get a spectacular 12" dragon-breath roar of flame which will seek out all possible ignitable materials and try to consume them. Keep your lighter handy, the flame may go out.

After 30 seconds or so the heat builds up in the generator (the short stem between the valve and the burner) and the fuel starts to vaporize. The flame settles down to a steady blue roar. Leave it for another 10 seconds or so then open the valve the rest of the way. This changes the delivery from fuel+air to fuel only. Add more pressure if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. cazna New Zealand

Thats Great, Thanks for that david. They are a little different these things, I have two but i havent lit them up yet, I think they need a fettle up they dont seem to pump very well, I wasnt sure how they worked or what the wire bit was for?? Thanks again, Happy new year.

7. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

and no dents to be seen! What a great find and a great Mother in Law!

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Morning, All, and Happy New Year!!

Many thanks for the kind comments on Mom's latest stove offering! In the almost 31 years I've been married to Sweet Bride (her daughter), Mom has given me many stoves, including this Coleman, a Phoebus 625 (bought NIB in Austria and carried home in her suitcase!), Phoebus 725 (swap meet), Optimus 8R (swap meet), Optimus 99 (swap meet), the recent Portuguese "Fogao"#2 (swap meet), and many others!! She's a real Sweetheart, and takes much pleasure in finding me more stoves, when she's out and about!! I love her, very much, not only for the stoves, but mainly for being a great person!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. THE PUNISHER United States

good score,you got a deal plus you got it all.....

10. Knight84 Canada

That mother in law is a keeper as the kids say.

Nice find Doc!

Jeff