1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrome case 8R

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8R' started by itchy, Nov 21, 2010.

1. itchy United States

Picked this up pretty cheap (<$20), considering. The seller made no mention that the case was plated and there was only a single poor-quality picture of the open stove -- and it was somewhat dirty. I was the only bidder and very surprised when I saw what arrived.

I don't see any evidence of old paint, but I cannot say for certain that the plating is factory. The case is embossed "8R" and "Made in Sweden". While there are chips, dings and flakes, overall the case is in decent shape. The stove was just started up in the last picture, but it is too bright a fall day to see the blue flame.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

That's a nice example & with that polish could double as a shaving mirror!

3. mbechtel United States

If that chrome plating is from the factory, it's got to be one of the rarest 8r's ever!

4. Matukat United States

It is a great deal whether it's a rare factory item or something someone did after they bought it.
    Cool stove Mike!

5. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Look around the hinges; they might show evidence of no plating that would suggest an after-market plating job. Either way, very cool stove!

6. RonPH

Very nice indeed. No problem with spill overs, just wipe it off with confidence.

Congratulations.

Ron

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Wow! It's amazing.

sam

8. itchy United States

I have looked at it pretty close: inside the roll around the edges, hinges, clip, tack welds, and the general condition. I don't see any evidence that would suggest someone striped and plated it. Also, I don't know why someone would go to that trouble for such a stove. But, I don't know the history of it and since you can't prove a negative, I cannot, for sure, say it is original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Even if someone took the time to plate it, it's still a fantastic find. Going through the trouble of having someone plate the case would be troublesome with all the hinges and the case clip and it would be somewhat costly. Going through the trouble of plating it by one's self will incur quite an expense and much trouble. So, all in all, whether original or not, it's a great find.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sam

10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

These crop up from time to time - I'd say original.