Classic Primus # 41 Kerosene Stove (1952)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by SimonFoxxx, Feb 21, 2017.

1. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Hiya Stove People,

I have been gifted this great looking stove, and I am in the process of fettling. Curiously, a previous owner has fitted an Optimus silent burner, with no flame control.

Could a kind person please advise what size pump cup I need (the old leather one has lost its pizzazz)? Also, what size of fuel cap seal is required (again the old one has lost all rubberiness)? I have replaced the NRV cork pip, with a Fettlebox 4.5 mm Viton pip.

Any advice, comments etc are much appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx
    New Zealand

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @SimonFoxxx

It's odd that there is no flame regulation on that stove...

Anyway: it's a standard Primus No1 or 5 pump cup; and the large Primus filler cap washer (23mm).

Cheers

Tony

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, is possible that the original burner failed and a regulated replacement was unavailable?
    Do you think a regulated burer from an Op.111 could be adapted to fit?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. monkeyboy

lucky dog.

5. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Thank you Tony Press, and Kerophile for your replies.

I will see if i can get the pump cup and filler cap seal from the Fettlebox. I would like to get a flame controlled silent burner, but one from an Optimus 111 won't be a direct swap. I may be able to fit a burner from an upright kero stove (Optimus 45?), which type I am not so familiar with.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

6. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Hiya MonkeyBoy,

Actually, I am a fox, not a dog!

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

7. kerophile

Hi @SimonFoxxx , please could you post a photo of the silent burner fitting to the feed pipe of your stove,

I do realise that the regulated burner from an Optimus No.111 would not be a straight swap with an original Primus No.42 regulated burner, but neither would a standard silent burner. I assume that the attachment on your stove was modified by a previous owner, and it would be good to see how this was achieved.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Hiya Kerophile,
    I will post a photo, but I can't do this until next week, as I am going on holiday today.
    It looks like a regular Optimus silent burner from a 1 pint 3 legged brass upright stove.
    Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

9. kerophile

Hi @SimonFoxxx . I checked the post by John of his Primus No.41 and I can see that the regulated burner is bottom fed from the fuel feed pipe:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-41-with-silent-burner-1954.15742/

I think one of the regulated silent burners used in marine stoves and No.5 domestic stoves would substitute for the type used in the Pr. No. 41 type:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/regulated-burners-i-have-known.8449/

These burners are still available, although expensive.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Our local camping shop has a kerosene regulated burner 207 (new) for sale, made in Germany, which looks might it might fit. One problem, the price is NZ$219.00, which is quite a lot! As you say, expensive. The webpage claims it suits an Optimus 55/155, 154, 5R, 7 535 and "others". I will inquire .

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

11. theyellowdog

Hi Simon, nearly any kero range burner will fit. Optimus 535 stoves for example can be found cheap here in NZ.

P.s. that caravan place in Christchurch is having a laugh with their prices.

12. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Ive bought a couple of things from them and they have been good although not cheap. $219 for a burner though? no pairs of my stoves cost me that much

13. threedots New Zealand

Hello Simon.
    Do you have the original regulating control knob that would go with your Primus if it had the correct burner?
    If not, I may be able to help out - including a burner.

I guess if you get one of those 207 burners; it will probably have a standard round section spindle(looking at the spindle end) like the type you find on say 535 stove ranges so you may have to swap it to suit your regulating knob or it will be a hassle assembling your stove using the clip.
    Cheers, John

14. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Hiya John,
    I have no control knob; the stove given to me came with an Optimus burner, with no regulator control. Not sure I want to spend NZ $219.00 right now. Will fettle the pump and tank first. Thank you for the offer help. I will see how it goes.
    Cheers
    Simon
    Foxxx

15. monkeyboy

i am staying tuned in to this, to be continued...
    all good

buzz

16. Matthew92

Matthew92 SotM Winner Subscriber

The original regulated burner for the primus 41 is different to the others mentioned. Looking at the burners from the spindle side, the original has the spindle on the right side of the jet, whereas the Optimus regulated burners have the spindle on the left side of the jet. This means that the Optimus burners have to be angled so that a control shaft will go through the cut out in the case. See my picture below which has an Optimus burner fitted. It works fine, but just to warn you that it's not a like for like swap.
    IMG_1346.JPG

17. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Thanks for the cautionary, the photo clearly shows the problem; I am not going to spend NZ $219.00 and not have a good fit.
    Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

18. theyellowdog

Mine is one the left. It is slightly crooked, but it would be straight if I tightened the burner a little more. Mine is primus.

Attached Files:

19. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @SimonFoxxx

Getting the burner in the correct position can be aided by varying the thickness of the washer(s). I had to fiddle around with washers on my Primus No. 41 to get the burner in the right spot.

Cheers

Tony

20. kerophile

Tony offers good advice: