1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman #2 Stove

Discussion in 'Coleman No:2' started by StanDahl, Apr 18, 2014.

1. StanDahl United States

This is a later #2, after Coleman decided to split the line into the #2 (with oven) and the #9 (without oven). The #2 became a more deluxe model, with nickel plated strap-type legs. The #9 had a wire grate, but the #2 kept the sheet steel cover with stove-style cast grates. This stove still has the air inlet stem above the pump knob, the latest #2's did away with that feature. This stove has a model 1 badge with the #1 drilled out and a "2" stamped below.

These stoves could be used with the #1 stove stand, which was still available at the time, and had slots in the lid to fit the support arms of the stand. The stove is very compact, the grate and stand fold to fit inside the case.

This stove was found at an antique shop in excellent condition, all I did was polish the paint and clean it up. It works very well.

1397800113-E.jpg

1397800063-B.jpg 1397800078-A.jpg 1397800090-C.jpg 1397800102-D.jpg 1397800124-F.jpg 1397800136-G.jpg 1397800146-H.jpg 1397800165-I.jpg 1397800176-J.jpg

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. snwcmpr United States

Thats real purty!!
    Thanks.
    Ken in NC

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hi, StanDahl,

Outstanding #2, and in very nice condition, too! I, too, have a #two, and it I will be bringing it to the upcoming CASG #8, along with several other early Coleman stoves, including two #1's. Any chance you could join us, and bring your nice #2 for us to enjoy seeing? I know that I am not alone in wanting to see your stove grate, especially, as those are a rare item, which is seldom found with the original stoves. I'd really appreciate being able to make some measurements, and photographs of your grate, if you would be so kind as to join us for the Gathering, and I think you would very much enjoy meeting a bunch of other CA/AZ Stovies!! Thanks for sharing, and hope to see you at the Gathering next month! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

Thank you for sharing you're beautiful piece of camping history. Such good original condition too. Probably owned by someone who camped once or twice, stored their stove in a dry attic, and forgot about it. All that stove needs is an old Airstream and a vintage car to pull it with.

5. rbhodges

rbhodges United States Subscriber

Nice stove! I got a number 2 but it has the od latches.

Rick

6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Beautiful! Love the old black suitcases.

Guess I better quit talkin' and getting a few of mine posted!

Thanks, John, you have a nice collection!

sam

7. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

SWEET John, they sure don't make them like that anymore, I have the #2 with the odd latches used to hold the lid down, it was sooooooo rusty I had to re do it
    Jan

8. JohnnyO United States

That is a really nice No. 2. Can not wait to fire up mine.