1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 426D and extras - Flea Market Find

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by DaveT, Sep 21, 2011.

1. DaveT United States

I went to a flea market last weekend - lots of junk spread across tables, and a few interesting things. Then I saw an interesting green case.

When I asked the guy running the table if I could take a look at it, he told me no - he hadn't had a chance to look at it himself, and hadn't priced it yet.

Soooo...I wandered around for another lap, bought a bite to nibble on, and came back about a half-hour later. This time, the case was open, and I saw that yep, it's definitely a 426...and, it's got some extras with it.

I wasn't myself positive what it was inside the case, and I asked him and he told me it was a table. There was about what you'd expect as far as some rust, grease, scratches, etc., but it looked in good, used order. The fuel tank pumped up and held pressure (still had 3/4 tank of gas in it), and I was very interested (as the table owner could tell - hard to keep a poker face when you've been hanging out and came back just to see the one item).

I asked how much, he said $35, and he wouldn't budge on the price - so I had no recourse but to break out the wallet.

When I got it home, it turns out I got the Coleman brand aluminum high stand, plus a pair of chef trays. When I was in my garage I was trying to figure out how to assemble it and how to get the top of the table set up :doh:

I didn't know what the items were called until I spent some time searching the Internet. It wasn't until I saw the box for a 426 that I figured out the chef trays hooked directly to the stove's case and not to the stand.

I also got an aluminum Coleman Filter Funnel (says No. 0 on the filter, the box says 199B1111). Also, there was a second funnel that I can't find any markings on, but it grips the neck of the fount for filling - looks right size for lanterns, too. Is there anything more to know about this funnel, or any of the other gear that came with my 426?

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the purchase, especially with the nice extras that were in the case with it.

**Moderators - I tried to embed the photos, but only seem to have succeeded in adding them as attachments. The Image button calls for a url, but rules say no external hosting for photos...and I could only find the "upload images" key that would let me browse my photos - any guidance on how to add them directly into this post would be welcome.

1316620579-Coleman_426_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. RonPH

Congratulations DaveT on such a great find - 3 burner coleman with stand and extras to boot :thumbup: I would think the the price you paid would be reasonable having the extras and a tad cleaner.

As for uploading photos, you need to keep the size down to below 95kb (to be on the safe side) there is a button on the top of the webpage IMAGE OPTIMIZER which is a utility you can use. Depending on the computer software you are using, you can resize the file size (not the image) to below 100kb and that will allow the server to post the pictures. When done, always click on "finished".

Good luck and nice catch.

Ron

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. DaveT United States

I had originally resized all of the photos to be below the limit. Anything else I'm missing?

5. linux_author

linux_author United States Subscriber

yep, the most important things:

flame shots!

:lol:

6. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

Click the "full size" button for each photo you upload. It's counter-intuitive, but this is how this upload file manager works.

Yonadav

7. toonsgt

I just use the Windows photo resizer powertoy. Once installed you can resize an entire folder full to the size you want and it's FAST. Just select any or some or all photos in a folder right click and select resize photos. Works VERY well and is very easy.

Mike

8. DaveT United States

OK, trying again here:

1316647828-Coleman_426_1.jpg

--So, this is the case I saw lying out. It definitely got my interest.

1316647876-Coleman_426_2.jpg

--This is what I saw once I opened up the case.

1316647923-Coleman_426_3rd.jpg
    1316647940-Coleman_426_4.jpg

--Here are the bits and bobs laid out.

1316647960-Coleman_426_5.jpg

--Here are the funnels.

1316647985-Coleman_426_6.jpg

--The unnamed funnel, showing how well it fits to the neck of the fount.

1316648021-Coleman_426_8.jpg

--Setting up the high stand. I had no directions, and it took some real trial and error to get this set up. One thing that I figured out (after playing with it) was that you want the two long bars that swing down to overlap the part they fit into...if the fit's too close, any nudge of the stand could drop the arm out and then the stove would fall. So - three burners going, food on each burner - this isn't something you want to drop into your lap.

1316648046-Coleman_426_9.jpg

--So - the legs of the high stand. After some trial and error (and looking at some photo examples) I see that the short hinged portion of the leg wants to be bent, not forming a straight line with the piece it's attached to, but allowing some slack to make sure that the stand isn't overextended (see arms, above).

1316648004-Coleman_426_7.jpg

--The whole kit and kaboodle - stove on the high stand, with both chef trays installed.

1316648076-Coleman_426_10.jpg

--Chef tray hooks to side of the stove case.

1316648101-Coleman_426_11.jpg
    --How the legs of the chef tray attach to the vent holes in the case.

So, all in all, I'm very happy with this purchase. I have a newer 426 I bought earlier this summer, in much newer condition. I have been sitting on it, almost afraid to cook on it.

But this one - well, it's broken in. No worries about messing up its good looks - it's ready to be used, with no reservations. It was cheaper, and came with the extras (the high stand is a GREAT addition to one of these stoves).

Thanks to everyone here for a great forum - been reading for years, but didn't really have what I thought was a good addition till now.

Oh - and thanks for the reminder to CLICK where it says "Full size" - I'd uploaded all of them, and read the instructions, but I thought that if it said "full size" that I was all set...but click "full size" and it drops the code into the message field, and will display it in the thread instead of adding it as an attachment.

Cheers all

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  9. DaveT United States

P.S. - I'll try to fire it up tomorrow and get a couple pictures of it in action.

--Dave

10. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

I really like that funnel & have never seen one quite like it before.
    Looks like it was definitely made for the Coleman.

thanks for sharing.

11. Brerarnold United States

Great find! I love these old suitcase stoves. I was lucky to get the stand with a 425 a few years ago, and my 426 is a great stove too. Fantastic luck getting the chef trays -- a little green with envy over that bit of luck. And that little funnel with the fount gripper is so cool.

:thumbup:

12. mikenkansas United States

I've been trying to not reply to this thread but just can't help myself....

boy, he Really saw YOU coming............

wish he'd seen ME coming..... :lol:

I have one 426 they're cool!

13. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

I always thought that the three burner was a bit much. I think that this has changed my mind. The combination of the stand AND chef trays makes this SO COOL! The clincher is that it all stows inside the larger 3-burner case for transport. Any chance this would all fit into my 413? :-s

Great find & thanks for sharing.

AR

14. DaveT United States

I just happen to have a 413 case - I'll check it tomorrow and get back to you on that...

15. DaveT United States

I found an old eBay listing that says this about the chef trays:

It can be used on stove models 413, G, H, 425C, D, E, F and 426D and E.

So the tray will fit these cases (externally) - the trays themselves would definitely fit in the case. I just have to check if the legs of the high stand would fit in the case or not - I'll check that tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

16. toonsgt

The stands are about 3 or 4 inches too big to fit in a 413 case. The trays fit inside but its tight, which reduces rattles, I suppose. 5 Minutes with a Dremel and a drill and the trays will work on some of the stoves not listed.

Mike

17. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

I never heard of these 'Chef' trays before now, and then two sets show up on CCS in a week!

18. DaveT United States

OK, so finally got around to a picture of it fired up:

1317060310-Flame1.jpg ]

19. DaveT United States

One poster asked if the high stand would fit in the case for a Coleman 413. I have an old 413E case, and it's not really even close. The case I have is 22 inches by 13 inches, and the stand wouldn't fit, even diagonally.

I measure the stand at 25 1/2 inches long, and 2x2 inches square when folded tightly.

I got a PM asking for more information about the chef trays - someone's interested in a homemade version.

Here are some extra pictures of it and some measurements (probably not exactly precise, but close).

1317075432-001.jpg
    Here's the angle of the support legs to the table top.

1317075440-002.jpg
    Here's how it fits into the vent holes on the case.

1317075457-003.jpg
    Close-up of support leg going into vent hole.

1317075469-004.jpg
    The tray is 9 3/4 inches wide, 9 inches deep, and the lip around the three edges that face out from the stove are about 1/4 inch tall.

1317075481-005.jpg
    A look at the bottom of the tray.

1317075493-006.jpg
    Dimensions of the support leg. I measure that the rivets holding the support legs are 1 3/4 inches from the front edge of the tray, and 1 1/4 inch from the outside edges.

1317075513-007.jpg
    Close-up of the riveted tab that holds the support leg and allows it to rotate.

1317075534-008.jpg
    Side view of the hanger - this is what hangs on the edge of the stove's case.

1317076364-008a.jpg
    The dimensions of the hanger. I measure the width of the hanger material as 3/4 inches wide, and it goes to 7/8 inches wide for the bit that sits on top of the stove lip.

These next three images show how the two trays nest together - very nice fit, very flat:

1317075580-009.jpg

1317075596-010.jpg

1317075622-011.jpg

20. SRN United States

Are the trays aluminium or stainless?