1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 457,not a G?

Discussion in 'Coleman No:457' started by Smokingman, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Smokingman

I need some help to ID this one.It has the Coleman 457 brass label made in Wichita Kansas.No other markings I can find.Is this a 1932 457? I know they made several models,and the G I think is the most common?The reason I ask is my burner size.I have seen the 5s and 7 inch burners...mine is larger? Pictures.

2. toonsgt

Do you mean the grate? The grate looks like a it from a 460G to me.

Mike

3. Smokingman

So even though the brass plate says 457 it is a 460G?
    I did clean it up a bit today.Some pictures with it running :)A Beretta 92FS for scale.

v4nknm.jpg
    29fazb6.jpg

4. toonsgt

That's not what I meant. I'm no expert on these. That looks like a 5 inch burner 457g with the top grate from a 460g. My eyes aren't what the use to be though. What I'm looking at is the size of grate, burner, heat shield/drip pan, and tank in relation to each other.

I love the way it burns. Nice one!!!! I like it.

Mike

5. Smokingman

Thanks it is my first one.I ran into it at a flea market 3 days ago and had to have it.Final price was $7.00 US.I was near obsessed with it for 48 hours.Of that 1/2 where spent taking it apart and cleaning it up lol.I found the site to order original style labels for it.Now for the color.This one was originally black(based on the little paint that was left on the bottom).So it is not quite done,but getting there.

6. toonsgt

7 bucks? What a deal!! Your use of measuring devices says a lot about you. 8-[

That's a real beauty, can't wait to see it all gussied up.

Mike

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

7 bux is a great deal!! Wow! You've done a very nice job getting that back up to snuff!

My Handy Gas Plant 457G was a little more than 7 and is not in the 457G category here in the Gallery, my mistake!

I just did some measurements on mine and here they are:

Burner grate diameter: 8.5 inches
    Burner diameter: 5 inches
    Heat shield diameter: 9 inches
    Tank diameter across the bottom: 12 inches
    Height with heater cap on: 20 inches

If yours has the same measurements then you have a 457G and it puts out 35,000 BTU, just a little less than the 460 that puts out 55,000 BTU.

Hope that helps!

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. toonsgt

Disregard. The grate just looked larger to me in proportion to everything else. Either it's the angle, or I'm losing it.

Mike

9. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

While we are taking pictures of stoves and guns, here's my HGP with nickel-plated Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum.

1283485608-HandyGasPlant457G-37.jpg

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015