1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman #457G Handy Gas Plant

Discussion in 'Coleman No:457' started by Doc Mark, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Here is the Coleman Handy Gas Plant #457G that I found last month, on our way home from a work trip. It's filthy, and really needs a good cleanup, plus the generator is stuck. Right now, that's been soaking in penetrating oil, and I have high hopes that it will soon be free working, once again. Got this for a very good price, and have never seen one in the wild, so I had to have it, of course! ;) :D/ :thumbup:

I'll post more photos, along with more comments, as time permits. For now, here are some photos, to get started. Very glad to have this beast of a stove in my collection!!

1278878461-DSCN2797_opt.jpg

1278878489-DSCN2798_opt.jpg

1278878506-DSCN2799_opt.jpg

1278878523-DSCN2800_opt.jpg

1278878540-DSCN2801_opt.jpg

Thanks for checking this Old Timer out! More to come later, as I get it up and running. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Doc well done there on a great score i will look forwrd to seeing this restored and running to your usual high standard of restoration these monster stoves all ways generate a lot of interest in me love to see them running with a perfect roaring flame.
    once again Doc well done indeed :clap:

3. BernieDawg Banned

Woo-HOO! :clap: Welcome to the 460 club, Doctor Mark. Now you can start saving your pennies to fuel the thing. :lol: I look forward to seeing it lit. I believe Bill at Gas Pressure Appliance Decals carries the repro labels for these at around $6 each - a bargain. Though knowing your ability to find stoves on the cheap you probably paid less for the 460! :p

Best,
    Gary

4. -/- Denmark

Why are they called "Gas Plants"

5. Doc Mark

Hey, Guys,

Thanks, very much, Mates! Brian, as always, your comments are kind and supportive, and I very much appreciate them! Gary, tons of thanks for the source of a good decal for this old guy!! :thumbup: :clap: :lol: Though I got what I thought was a very good deal on this 460G, I paid a tad more than the $6 that the decal will cost me! ;) 8) :lol: :lol: :D Henrik, I am not sure why they called these stove "Handy Gas Plants", other than they DO put out a ton of heat, or so I hear, and so they are a "plant" that can generate heat for large jobs, be they warming a large place, or heating a ton of water. Sort of like the local electric plant, gas plant, or sewer treatment plant, I'm guessing!! It's also very portable, for such a huge output, and so it's "Handy". Just a guess, but maybe worth consideration? :-k

ATTN: Mods! Could one of you please fix my fumble-fingered mistake on the subject line? I messed up and typed "469G", instead of "460G". I surely would appreciate it if you could fix my messup! Many thanks, in advance!! More later on this guy, Mates, and on several other stoves that have come to hand on that last trip, and otherwise. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. BernieDawg, actually, I'm just following in your footsteps, Brother!! Since we sort of look alike, though I think Mom and Dad used up all the good stuff on YOU, once you got hold of a 460G, I figured I'd better score this one, or get laughed out of the family!! ;) ;) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :D/ :D/

6. dday

dday United States Subscriber

Great score Doc :clap: . I have never saw one in the flesh, but would imagine it would be a great item for a large clam pot or shrimp boil. Can't wait til you get it up and running to see those mighty flames! Take care and great score!
    Dan

7. usdan50 United States

It was also a favorite with boot leggers because it burned hot and clean. Dan

8. Doc Mark

Evening, Guys,

Many thanks, for all the nice comments! I'm excited, too, about seeing this monster up and running. If it works as well as Dawg's Nuclear Coleman 460G (see his post in this section!), I'll be as happy as a pig in poo!! ;) 8) :D :D Right now, I've finally gotten part of the generator disassembled, but still cannot get the spindle to turn. So, It's going to continue soaking in WD-40. I'm out of Maltby's Penetrating Oil, or I'd be using that. I think this guy will work, after some patient care. Thanks, again, Mates! Being able to AFFORD to feed it, however, is a different can of worms!!!! YIKES!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Dan, well, since I live in the mountains, maybe I should be come a bootleg distiller of.......COLEMAN FUEL!!! Now, THAT would be a great way to make a few bucks, eh?!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Matukat United States

You could make your own alcohol fuel and then convert the gas plant, or try 50/50 camp fuel and alcohol...
    By the by- CATTAILS of all things have lots of starches and can be used to make alcohol or alcohol fuels. They grow like weeds last I looked... 8) 8) ;) ;)

Nice score Doc!

10. Doc Mark

Hummmmm..... :-k :-k :-k

Matukat, you have a very good idea, me thinks! However, since Meths puts out less heat then white gas, this 460G will probably be putting out a miserly 27,500 BTU's, instead of it's usual 55,000 BTU's!! Might as well use a Turm-sport, eh?!! ;) 8) :lol: :lol: Thanks, very much, for the kind words, Randy! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. madmaxdoom

Hi Doc what a beast what would the out put of this be
    on another matter looking at this reminded me of my primus 77 and to ask you if you could tell me the size of the jet needed on the vaporizer as when i got the 77 it had one with a 96 nipple and it wouldn't go so i took one out of a primus petrol blow touch and used that i don't know the size on that one as it was unreadable cheers neville

12. Doc Mark

Greetings, All,

I have been meaning to correct this post for a very long time, and just keep forgetting to do so! :shock: :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:

The Coleman stove I have, pictured in this thread, is NOT the 460G, but rather it's smaller brother, the 457G. My 457G has a 5" burner, putting out around 35,000BTU's, whilst the 460G has a 7" burner, and puts out around 55,000BTU's. Both are powerful, but the 460G is, without question, and more powerful of the two stoves! Now, I'll have to find a 460G to keep my 457G company!! We've used the 457G to boil up dish water at several CASG events, and it works wonderfully!! I did worry, however, about melting the huge aluminum pot in which we boiled the water, though!!! :shock: :shock: But, all turned out very well, with no damage done to the pot, and lots of VERY hot water for dishes!! I will eventually post this 457G in the proper place, but until then, please forgive my mistake of originally posting it in this 460G thread. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. Luka Tuba United States

@Doc Mark

Hi I have just picked up a 457G Handy Gas Plant. It is in pretty rough shape. The top is cracked and broken in several places, the pressure gauge is melted, all the screws are rusted in and the main fuel valve is broke off. Any suggestions on were I can get parts to replace these and are there any things that I should be especially careful of and with when I take it apart to clean and repair. I got this to melt metals using cast iron pots because I'm tired of using charcoal and my mini metal foundry.

20160609_020429.jpg

14. zeke79 United States

Before doing any teardown, you'll want to verify that the fount hold pressure for a day or two. The broken main valve stem can be repaired by soldering a new splined shaft onto the old one. Replacement stems for these are difficult to come by. If you remove the main valve from the tank be careful not to spin the bung free from the tank. I use a hot air wand from my soldering station to heat the valve/bung connection to make removal easier. For the rest of the disassembly, penetrating oil, time, and heat will help a bunch.

15. Luka Tuba United States

It holds pressure. Thanks for the advice. Ill see what I can do.