Coleman 460G Handy Gas Plant

Discussion in 'Coleman No:460' started by BernieDawg, Feb 21, 2010.

1. toonsgt

Beautiful!!
    I tried to bid on some cast slit burners on "unoware" but was sniped twice. arggh!! Wasn't paying attention and let a pair go with no bids. Had no idea what size they were but was going to try to mount them on one of my coleman suitcase projects. Hope some more pop up now. Love those flames. Like the star burner on a military M2.

Mike

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, BernieDawg,

Just got a Model 460G, which looks very much like yours! I have yet to try mine out, but hope to do so soon. I might bring it to the upcoming CASG4, so we can enjoy it there, as needed. I'm excited to have found it, and look forward to giving it a try! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Smokingman

What you have there is a 457.It is 35,000 BTU!
    How would you like the manual?

http://pages.suddenlink.net/abosch1/1945Coleman457HGPInstructions.pdf

There was a tin "hat" for that to use as a space heater or it made for one heck of a stove.It was used quite a bit by US troops in the 40s all over the world.I just picked one up today for $7.50...and yes it lit the moment I put some fresh fuel in it! Also of note it will burn unleaded gas,coleman,or "Lighting fuel".I am not sure what lighting fuel is,but coleman fuel worked great in mine.
    Here is a picture of the "hat" http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/colestovespre1945.html
    If yours has a pump on it(ie you did not need to pressurize it with a tire pump then you have a 457G).I will get pictures of mine up after a little restoration work.As I said I just picked it up today :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. n2666s

Gary says
    Gary seeing this post brings back a lot of memories; you have a beaut :)
    yep, we used them in the hen houses, calf barn, so on.

ouch; really hit me cause I can remember when was around 9 cents a gallon in OK :( has it really been that long ago?
    Lou

5. Boron40 United States

Wow! Great stove!

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Valuation is done HERE