1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 4M Canadian

Discussion in 'Coleman No:4' started by viscott, Jul 31, 2011.

1. viscott

This is my Coleman 4M, handed down from the Grandfather, to my parents...to me.

I am planning on cleaning it up/restoring it.

1312142368-DSCF1157_799x600.JPG 1312142455-DSCF1164_799x600.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Viscott welcome to CCS and a very nice old coleman stove, it would be great if you take pics of each stage of the restoration, and when it is finished up load them in the fettling forum,
    i will look forward to the finished restoration if there is any help and advice needed all you have to do is ask and we will all help, good luck Viscott with the restoration i will look forward to seeing it finished

3. hikin_jim United States

Ohhh. She's a beauty, you lucky dog. Do you know when your grandparents bought her?

HJ

4. nzmike New Zealand

Welcome aboard the Ship of Pyros(Tm). Nice stove, I like a good suitcase. You have the (imho) best tank for Colemans, too, those tubular ones were (I think) an alloy of some sort that doesn't seem to rot, unlike the red 2 piece pressed steel ones. ](*,) My 404 Bushman has the same sort.

Nice one. :thumbup:

5. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

NzMike, those old tubular ones were a copper alloy.

6. viscott

Thanks everyone.

Already have it mostly disassembled.

Here's a few more images for the gallery.

1312163230-DSCF1161_799x600.JPG 1312163398-DSCF1168_799x600.JPG

7. viscott

Hey, unfortunately I don't. All i know, is that it is old, and that if I can, I can hopefully pass it down to my children, if/when I have them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. skirky dave

What a little gem to restore. There must be a lot of history there. I'm sure, that if you get stuck with anything, there will be many on here with LOADS of experience that will be willing to help you. Good luck with the restoration mate.

9. viscott

These stoves look pretty simple in operation themselves, it's the pump/generator that might cause me concern.

10. viscott

Finished:

1313267606-DSCF1244_799x600.JPG 1313267622-DSCF1248_799x600.JPG

11. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

Oooh, Nice Job!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

12. viscott

Thank you very much! There's some things that I have learned while doing this that I'd do differently, but I am still quite happy with how it has turned out.

13. skirky dave

Sorry mate but i've had computer virus since i last saw your stove. Just wanted to say...wonderful job you've done there, top job.

14. Centuryhouse United States

Wow, fantastic job on that! How's it burn? Very cool stove, I haven't seen one like that yet. Is there a date of manufacture stamped on it?

15. JasonB1976

nzmike:

The tanks on the Canadian Coleman 4M's are not copper, just copper washed steel. They rust like all the other seamed Coleman tanks if they're abused or neglected.

OP:

Beautiful job cleaning the old girl up. I have a 1963 4M that I take car camping regularly, it serves very well. This weekend past we used it with a Coleman oven to bake tea biscuits in too, worked a treat. You can find the date stamped on the tank mount tabs.

I've another 4M with a sheet metal burner venturi and different legs with lock buttons, rather than the curved snap-overs as you've got there. That one's on loan to my BIL...

Blue skies and flames,

J

16. UpNorth Canada

I'm just new to the group so please bear with me thanks ! I have a 4m with what I believe are called straight legs.Its needs a restoration and would like to know if there is a reference or some diagrams regarding the tank (tubular brass ).It was my father's and we used it many times camping here in Ontario.

Thank you

17. johnny canuck Canada

Hi Folks,
    New to the forum a couple of weeks ago. Purchased a 2-60 (4M) a few weeks ago. It runs ? OK ? but I'd like to get a new generator for it. Is there a specific # for the generator? Can't seem to find a lot of parts info. (just don't know where to look yet).
    Nice looking stove re-build you did.

Thank's in advance.