1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 500 - 3rd qtr. 1938

Discussion in 'Coleman No:500' started by z1ulike, Sep 21, 2015.

1. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

01.JPG

Canadian Coleman 500 dated C38 acquired from Australia.

02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG

06.JPG

I haven't done anything to it except fill it with fuel and fire it up. However, it has a leak somewhere beneath the burner that will need fixing. Hopefully, I can find a tutorial on how to disassemble and repair one of these stoves. It's not obvious how it comes apart.

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

On page 5 of my Rustbucket saga 'Canook Coleman joins the party' features a Speedmaster stripdown, Ben.

image.jpg

Funny thing, I got my 'D' 1938 Coleman from Australia too.

The fuel/air lever on yours is bent out of shape and should be 'L'-shaped incidentally.

The definitive history of the Speedmaster and with reference in there to the 1938 models is from Terry Marsh and Fred Kuntz, who kindly allowed their treatise to be reproduced here on CCS.

Terry and Fred point out that the 1938 Speedmaster stoves were made in Canada and not the USA, so maybe it's not so unexpected that they turn up in another Commonwealth country after all as well as Canada and the USA. Mind you, with half-a-dozen of the 1938 'C' model known of and the same number of 'D's that's not a lot to pin any theory on, I'll grant!

John

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout United States Subscriber

These are GREAT stoves and can often be brought back to life with new seals, soaking the pump leather in oil and cleaning or replacing the generator. John's pic above shows the generator spring found inside the gen tube. These can take "some persuasion" to remove. I found that heat & quenching worked well followed by threading a wood screw into the inside of the spring and pulling it out. Mine had a ton build up but once cleaned, worked as good as new. It's a stout spring like most of the parts on this work horse. If all else fails, new generators are available. Mine is a similar vintage to yours and burned about the same until I fettled it. The flame output is now about 3 fold.

Enjoy! Jerry

4. Big BTU

Big BTU United States Subscriber

Aloha Ben,

You got a good one there. I believe that's as early as they made them, a year before they were dated in the US & quite rare. I have not seen that curved shape of air fuel toggle on any of the other 38's. ( usually they are L's.)

5. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015