1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 500 Stoves - Made in Wichita & Toronto

Discussion in 'Coleman No:500' started by Archivist, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Archivist

Archivist United Kingdom Archivist

Courtesy of Fred Kuntz & Terry Marsh

This story first appeared in the Coleman Light, The Official Publication of the
    International Coleman Collectors Club, Inc., Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 4-7. We have updated the
    story and made some minor editing changes here.

Click thumbnail to open article in PDF format.

|imgRemoved|'thumb'

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Many thanks Fred & Terry for your interesting & detailed article & for allowing it to appear on CCS. :clap:

3. Knight84 Canada

Outstanding top notch work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great article and pictures.

Thank you Fred and Terry for all your hard work and all those that added information.

I have learned a lot of things I didn't know. I forget about the 500B from time to time.

Best Regards,
    Jeff

4. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Excellent research of a very convoluted and somewhat confusing stove history. My Hat's off to Fred and Terry. Mike...

P.S. Fred makes awesome reproductions of mica cages for early Coleman and other lanterns.

5. Texas

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

I'll add my thanks, not least for Terry's patience in answering my queries about the 1938 example that I've featured on CCS.

The paper's a comprehensive and extremely detailed resource. Terry and Fred even picked up on that phenomenon I'd noticed in my 'B' 41 Coleman of a poorly-stamped 'B' that looks like an 'F' or a 'P'.

Thanks indeed to Terry and Fred and their sources.

Regards,

John

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

From the article;
    A 1938 advert & parts list for the 500 has just come into the archive & will be added to the site shortly.

8. byacey

I would like to add a detail to the very informative article on the 500 stove. I have one that my dad had kicking around for years. It's made in Canada, dated 1/61. The fount is nickel plated over copper plated steel. The sides and bottom had a few rust spots that I have since cleaned up.

The pump cover is held by 2 machine screws yet, no clip. The article seemed to allude that the nickel plated founts were always brass, so I thought I would mention this difference.

I need to re-solder the fuel line where it enters the brass fitting in the top of the fount. Would silver solder be better than lead / tin solder?

9. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Regular lead/tin solder will do fine, the higher temps needed for silver solder will bugger the nickle finish but good!

I've used 60/40 rosin core solder with good results, flows nicely, and easy to clean off the flux residue as well.

Murph

10. byacey

I would certainly un-thread the brass fitting and remove it from the fount before re-soldering. However, I'll take your advice and use 60/40 solder.

I'll post some pictures after I get things in order.

Thanks

11. byacey

The cover that goes over the flame jets has a little dimple / depression in it. What is this for?
    Preheat cup if using kerosene?

12. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Nothing to do with pre-heat (more of a dimple than a pre-heater cup) - it's a deflector to ensure that the flame pattern is evenly distributed at the burner rose.

At the foot of this post I experimented and switched the plate through 180 degrees to see what would happen - flame pattern became lopsided.

Coleman 500A in Stove Ref Gallery

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  13. byacey

Thanks for the info John.While re-assembling I realized that I didn't note which way it was originally placed, but I looked at some pictures on this forum and re-assembled it with the dimple closer to the valve.

It appears I may have been wrong in my assessment of the fount material. Upon closer inspection it does appear to be brass, but it was discolored to the point of appearing like rust spots where the nickel plating was damaged.

The bottom however is definitely steel as it had some surface rust in one area. I was planning on wire brushing this area and giving it a coat of high temp silver paint like I used on the burner plate and burner.

14. fredericleviking Canada

Very good article, but you'll have to add another early canadian stove to the Table 1. I have a 500 dated B38. I just add some pictures in the Coleman 500 Gallery.

1402103142-IMG_0445__640x480___325x244_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015