1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 501A Stove

Discussion in 'Coleman No:501' started by teckguy_58, Aug 10, 2016.

1. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hello fellow stovies,

I've acquired a Coleman 501A stove that is almost in pristine condition. No rust and with just a few places where the paint is missing. This 501A was made in September of 1962. The stove also came with a very nice caring tin and one can cook with this tin. It also has the original pot handle. I will keep the original fuel cap just in case I decide to make this stove a shelf queen.
    DSC04396.JPG DSC04397.JPG DSC04398.JPG DSC04401.JPG DSC04404.JPG DSC04424.JPG DSC04425.JPG DSC04426.JPG DSC04427.JPG DSC04428.JPG DSC04430.JPG

John, presscall and Jeff, Knight84 demonstrated that the 501A stove is safe to use. Here are the links.

http://www.classiccampstoves.com/threads/1962-august-coleman-501a-august-1962.28723/

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/coleman-501a-june-1962.16647/

I'm still uncomfortable using Coleman fuel or its equivalent to run this stove. I have left the stove intact except for replacing the original fuel cap with an Amish style fuel cap with schrader valve.
    DSC04399.JPG DSC04400.JPG

There is an interesting difference between the 501 and the 501A generators. I borrowed this picture from John, presscall, because I forgot to do the comparison of the two generators. Thanks John. The 501 on the left and the 501A on the right.
    Coleman501Agenerator.jpg

I made up a fueling rig for this stove quite some time back and yes I really do need to update the hose clamp, but for now it is working very well. With this setup one can use an external butane fuel canister to supplement the fuel inside the fuel tank/fount for much longer cooking times.
    DSC04420.JPG DSC04423.JPG

I charged the fuel tank/fount with butane and fired up the stove. To get more of the evaporation cooling effect I only opened the control valve 1/4 turn. The stove runs great and yes the flame control valve does get hot, but I was still able to touch the packing nut without any harm to myself. This stove has very good control from simmer to high.
    DSC04418.JPG DSC04407.JPG DSC04412.JPG DSC04413.JPG DSC04414.JPG DSC04415.JPG DSC04416.JPG DSC04417.JPG

The stove runs great. I will keep this stove as close to original as possible.
    I hope you have enjoyed the presentation.

Cheers,
    Norman

2. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day mate .
    very nice .
    i suspect not very common . especially in good condition .

kerry

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@teckguy_58
    Excellent, Norman. I don't think you need have cocerns about fuelling the 501A on Coleman fuel. Of mine HERE I said,
    I believe Coleman had effectively rectified the 501's flaws with the 501A but perhaps couldn't restore market confidence in the type and produced something completely different and hugely successful, with the 502.

John

4. teckguy_58

@presscall

Hi John,

For now I will keep using butane. I had it fired up for a while and I was still able to touch the packing nut on the pricker flame control lever without getting any blisters. You will remember with your first 501 conversion you had to put some gauze into the burner inlet to keep the flame from lifting off of the burner. If I decide to run the stove on Coleman fuel I will need to remove the gauze I installed. The stove will run great on both Coleman fuel and butane, but for now I choose the butane. Believe me when I say the butane really does help to keep the control valves a bit cooler.
    Next time I'm home I will do a tea test and will update the post.

Cheers,
    Norman

5. teckguy_58

@kerry460

Hi Kerry,

You are correct because the 501A is not common and what is less common is to find the stove in almost pristine condition with the original tin and most people lose the pot handle. This is indeed a rare find.

Cheers,
    Norman