1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 505 - collectable or not?

Discussion in 'Coleman No:505' started by Blueflame, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Blueflame Canada

I am new here, just cleaning up my camping gear and found this. Near mint condition with red carrying case. Have I got a keeper/seller? Coleman 505 001.JPG Coleman 505 002.JPG Coleman 505 006.JPG Coleman 505 005.JPG Coleman 505 004.JPG Coleman 505 003.JPG Coleman 505 002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Bleuflame, welcome on board!

Not a Coleman collector myself I nevertheless think this stove really is a keeper! They have a very good reputation (simple, easy to use, powerfull for their size and very reliable).

Best regards,

Wim

3. Blueflame Canada

Well I will never use it. I just want a value as I will be selling it here in Canada. I already have a buyer, but don't know what to charge.

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Values are not given here. It's against the rules of the forum. Check ebay or other auctions sites.

Nice stove, by the way.

sam

5. Blueflame Canada

Technically I did not ask for a value, but yes I understand the rules. The reason I was asking was that the mod505 made in Canada usually was sold with a green storage case. This leads me to believe that it was a special order and therefore possibly more valuable. coleman505softpacktinhogg.jpg

6. dave1966 Canada

There is a forum dedicated to all things Coleman...you might find some answers there. They are a friendly bunch. Nice stove..

7. Blueflame Canada

Yes, I have registered on the Coleman collectible site...but am waiting for an authorization to post, they are not fast.
    BTW. I have seen pics of Models 505A, 505B etc...but never a straight 505.

8. Blueflame Canada

Ok..did some digging. Found this photo showing both the green and red carrying cases, but the website is in Japanese. Why the 2 colors...what's the difference? Same models? Domestic/export?
    Still waiting for Coleman collectible website to allow me access.

9f47a43d.jpg

9. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

I thought the Jetboill was the only stove ever made that's not allowed to be classed as a collectable - ever. :pompous:

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Even the site owner has his hardly disguised prejudices. :D

11. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Welcome new guy,
    keeper/seller? yes.
    Consider you're asking a collector site so yes, it's a keeper. It is pristine which I like much more than it being a model 505.
    A Canadian collector would better answer re how rare a 505 pocket 2 as I think the vast majority may be in Canada.
    fwiw I am a collector of 1 burner coleman stoves and myself have not found the 505 to be among the "must have" for my collection.
    The vinyl case or not, red or green matters not... it's vinyl... of all your pics I like the tin.
    505 is fairly rare in the US however on the downside not particularly sought after as far as I know. There are many similar more popular stoves that followed after that model (and the 576). The 505 although similar has many difficult to replace parts (in the US), parts found only on the 505s, ie iirc the (fuel vapor-) -generator and valve asm. This may be a strike against it.

Not giving you a value but you have a buyer, might I suggest you ask for his best offer. IF w/o researching it you can consider that in YOUR OWN situation (regardless of what you may eventually "read on the internet") if in your own situation you are on the plus side of the equation take the deal, sell to highest bid on ebay OR better yet START COLLECTING.

I am sure like myself many readers have found themselves in possession of "collectible" items. I feel a very common approach is to "do ok" with a sale, you know you maybe could have done better but it is done and ALSO in the plus column is to feel good that it went to someone that appreciates it. thx omc

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  12. Afterburner Finland

I agree with OMC: keeper/seller=yes!:hungry:
    -If you like it, keep it. :happy:
    -If you don't like it, sell it. :greedy:

Rare or not above still works. Value/price is up to seller&buyer. :rolleyes:

13. Sedgman

If you have to ask the question; then sell it. I like the type of stove but without a wind guard they can be less effective in bad conditions. Give the buyer a square deal. You can buy similar stoves from China cheap.
    Good luck.

14. dave1966 Canada

That made me laugh so hard I saw my beer for the second time!!!!

15. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

"Well I will never use it. I just want a value as I will be selling it here in Canada."
    The 505b I have is the second most valuable single burner stove I have and one of the most used. It has seen an unknown amount of use and is far from young. No case or anything.
    Yours is in near new but not new condition. If it has been fired half a dozen times I would be surprised and certainly its never had food spilt on it.
    Even so as to value Is it a dollar 50 or 150? In NZ you might reach the latter number but in Canada not far from the home of Coleman I would doubt you would even come close possibly not even scraping over my first figure. If you have a buyer and you are happy with the offer then that is the value. Make sure the buyer knows about this place and shows off his new purchase

16. Blueflame Canada

FYI...this stove was fired up 20 + years ago for 2 min, just to see if it worked. Then it was put back in its container where it has sat since, in my basement. Never came close to fixng food, I had 425s for that. Also too pretty and too small for use in remote Canadian wilderness for 5 hungry men.

17. jbf

jbf Canada Subscriber

well it matches the red 200 lantern so if you are more coordinated than myself good on you, or maybe the buyer has one .Mine is green and I have lanterns to match.
    john

18. Blueflame Canada

It is for sale.....needs a good Canadian home to fry up some bacon and eggs.

19. SimonFoxxx New Zealand

This is an excellent stove, I have a 505A and it runs very well, and is easy to disassemble and clean. That vintage tends to last. i have a Coleman Peak 400 from 1984 that still runs brilliantly, just replaced the filler cap seal, and the pump plunger cup. that is all.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

20. MrCanoeHead Canada

Is this stove still for sale? I'm Canadian and love bacon and eggs. I have one a lot like it that I'm trying to repair.. it now leaks badly around the red knob. I am a new member and know very little about the repair of these things.

I love this stove; it has been on countless canoe trips over the last 30+ years.