1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 505B "Pocket"

Discussion in 'Coleman No:505' started by yonadav, Aug 9, 2011.

1. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

I just got an old Coleman 505B "pocket stove", made in Canada, 1977. The stove must have fireballed some time in its previous life, which completely destroyed the decal. Whatever bits remained were swollen and unreadable, so I tried to remove them. There's still some ugly glue residue on the tank.

Other than that, all it needed was some cleaning an oiling, and it came to life with a fierce blue flame. It boils a liter of water in 4:30 minutes.

Anybody know if I can get a new decal anywhere?

Well, here it is:

1312908951-IMG_3613_resize.JPG

1312909124-IMG_3612_resize.JPG

1312909149-IMG_3607_resize.JPG

1312909209-IMG_3610_resize.JPG

Yonadav

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. hikin_jim United States

Nice looking flame.

HJ

3. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi yonadav very nice indeed the 505b is quite an unusual model with there higher tank and pump at the bottom of the tank,i agree i all so believe it has fireballed some time in its life with the decal missing and the top of the regulator lever being scortched

4. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Both. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Nice stove Yonadav! A little paint and a decal will work wonders. It's working really well. Flame is even and looks powerful.

sam

6. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

That has the wrong fuel knob for the 505b which should have a black plastic knob. They are a great stove. Only thing I dont like is the fact that the larger simmer control knob causes them to flair a little more than other colemans when lighting and the small base makes them a little less stable.
    Still thats the price you pay for a instant light stove that simmers

7. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Go to www.oldcolemanparts.com for the decal. I have the same stove only it is a 1988 version. This is the stove where I learned about the need to put that insulating material in the square box under the burner pan to prevent gasoline vapors from spilling out while the stove is running.

8. Knight84 Canada

Nice find.

There is no replacement decal for this stove that I know of. Half of it is French.

These stoves are very common in my part of the world. They come up so often I don't look twice at them. But I have parts and if your looking for this model I may be able to help.

Jeff

9. Canadian Iain Canada

Hello Brian,

My favourite stove. And the knobs melt over time without fireballing. All you need is a large pot. And my decal has been peeling off over time.

Hello Geeves,

The knob on mine is red and original!

Iain

10. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

Hi Jeff,
    I'm quite pissed off with the missing decal. If I can't get a replacement decal, I will have no choice but to buy a whole stove with a good decal. Do let me know if you run into one.

Best,

Yonadav

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. Knight84 Canada

I will keep my eye open. I am heading to the shop shortly and will check my parts bin. I know I have a used tank with a decal.

Jeff

12. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Bugger! I could get to like one of those here!

More umph that a 502, and smaller, even!

Murph

13. toonsgt

I love these little stoves. Compact little powerhouses. A bit topheavy, but solid. With or without the decal, it's a great stove. I have a 505 and a 576(other than the model number, I can't tell the difference)IIRC. The bottom seam of the tanks like to collect rust on the outside, so get that cleaned up and painted and it will last a long, long time. Other than the paint and decal, it looks in wonderful shape.

Mike

14. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Subscriber

Co-incidentally, mine's going on eBay today. I'll post it in Auction Watch for you...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  15. CanoeCamper

A great little stove; I'm currently rebuilding an identical one. I don't believe, however, that it's a 505B. Both the 505A and B had control knobs not the little red off-on lever that you can see in the photos. This lever indicates that it is either a 505 or 576, which are mechanically identical. The 505 will almost certainly have a bilingual (English/French) label, as will any 576 manufactured for sale in Canada - it's the law. 576s manufactured in or for sale in the U.S., however, should only have an English label. Also, my understanding is that all 505 variants were built in Canada, whereas 576s were built both in Canada and the U.S. Model 576s may also be labelled ”Model 576 Peak 1.”
    Why no label? I don't think this necessarily means there was a fireball . I also have a Coleman Canada 421D dual burner camp stove manufactured about the same time - 1976. The label peeled off years ago, I think just from the constant heating and cooling. It appears that when they built these things, they hadn't quite figured out how to make heat resistant labels.
    For a list of 505/576 parts, you can check the Coleman USA site, it still has the 576 schematic and parts list available ... although not many parts.
    Are the generators compatible between the 505/576, 505A and 505B? I don't think so. I haven't actually examined a 505A or B, but from the photos and schematics that I've seen, it looks like they have a Shrader valve. The 505/576 has a simple on off needle valve; I've taken one apart to clean. In any event, oldcolemanparts.com offers three different generators for the 505 series, so your best bet is probably to select the exact one for your model.
    Old Canoe Guy