1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 523 MHU with Field Surgical Sterilizer NIB

Discussion in 'Military' started by Bob M, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Bob M

1256003893-Coleman_NIB_523_MHU_with_case_and_wind_screen_opt.jpg
    This is a NIB Coleman Model 523 MHU with wind screen attached.

Here it's set up with the field surgical sterilizer.
    1256004136-Coleman_NIB_523_Surgical_Sterilizer_1_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Knight84 Canada

Hello Bob,

Great stove and in great shape.
    Your almost set to open your own M.A.S.H. Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.
    What is in the brown envelop? spare parts I am guessing.

Cheers,
    Jeff

3. Jim Henderson United States

Yucca Valley has a bunch of the NIB. They include the "briefcase" container and stove etc. The case has the medical snake symbol(Caduceus). They are not cheap, something like $200US. He has several used ones with or without case starting around $25US.

I do not know if he has the sterilizer.

If you are interested he is... Richard Wolfenden, 760-365-5544, lanternking@verizon.net

FWIW,

Jim Henderson

4. Bob M

The guy in Maryland I bought this from had three of them. All NIB with the federal stock number 6540-708-4735 and the Civil Defense triangle logo on the box. He sold all but one. The one he kept he told me that he used it for STEAMING CRABS! A novel use for a sterilizer I guess. ;)

Bob

5. dday

dday United States Subscriber

Hi Bob,
    Looks like you have a very nice stove there. I love the large sterilizer container also. It would probably work very well for clams, lobster, low country boil or crabs. Is the lid of your case aluminum or steel? I was just curious because mine has a super heavy steel lid. The one that I have is not near as nice of shape as yours, but like the way it works. The only downfall is the intensity of the flames, not a simmer stove :) .
    Dan
    1256336787-100_1353_opt.jpg 1256336802-100_1354_opt.jpg

6. Bob M

Hi Dan, The case is aluminum but the lid is stainless steel. This may have doubled as a tray for sterilized instruments. The way the handles reverse it facilitates them being used as carry handles for the lid. I have an AGM version of this stove and the case is identical.
    1256359526-AGM_Med_Stove_opt.jpg

Their use didn't require any level but wide open. I've seen these used where someone used them to perhaps attempt to cook something. Bet they burned their dinner.

Bob

7. Rick Seman United States

I have a running model 523" just the stove" and I've cooked on mine an also use it to melt down old lead for cannon fodder. Works great. What year are these Coleman 523s?