1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 530 ( 1950 )

Discussion in 'Coleman No:530 'GI'' started by moonwalker, Apr 6, 2010.

1. moonwalker

My trusty 530, I had the stove for a long while, given to me by a gent whom I worked with years ago.
    Snooped around and found a great container, then a wrench, on the internet.
    Considering a burner plate, for my next addition.

I try to fire it up and burn at least a font full of fuel to ward off any lurking spiders :doh:

1270558206-530_stove_001_opt.jpg

2. DavidOR United States

Great looking stove! Did you polish the container or did it arrive that nice. If you polished it, what'd you use? The couple I have sort of look like they were used for cooking.

3. moonwalker

Thanks for the accolades, the container was in good condition when I purchased it, but came out nice with a buff. :thumbup:
    I have TOO MANY polishing tubes etc., as I keep my motorcycle shiney :lol:

Used Maguire's Scratch X, to polish this time, only because it was the product that was handiest in the hobby drawer. I'm sure there is a wealth of polishing products the members here @ CCS use :!:

Here is the most awesome product I use to polish my chrome etc., ( motorcycle ) It is called Autosol, made in Germany I think, maybe a bit hard to come by, but I think a web search can find it. Bet it already has been used on stoves too ;)

Regards,

Tom

4. Knight84 Canada

Great stove !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for adding this. Is yours made in Canada? I take it yes.

Cheers,
    Jeff

5. moonwalker

Yes Jeff, Made in Canada :!: :clap:

Regards,

Tom

6. Knight84 Canada

Excellent!! You have the only one in the gallery that is made in Canada then. Do you have the funnel?

Jeff

7. moonwalker

Nope no funnel :(

Just a generic plastic one on fill up ](*,)

8. DavidOR United States

Jeff.....My brother lives a few miles from me and when his father-in-law passed away last year he got his made in Canada 530 what's in beautiful condition much like moonwalker's. And it's complete with all accessories.

9. Knight84 Canada

Nice David! :mrgreen: Is your brother a stovie?

You should "borrow" :lol: his stove for a little while and fettle it and post some pictures! :D/

It is a shame that Coleman dropped the idea of a compact single burner stove. It wasn't until 1961 did they get the 501 and we know how that went.
    I guess the 500 did the job for the market at the time.

Cheers,

Jeff

10. DavidOR United States

I offered him I think it was $10 for the 530 which he immediately turned down. :) He's a stovie only in that he has a few Coleman suitcase stoves that he's picked up at yard sales....Plus several Coleman lanterns. Where we live, we just don't see much in the stoves other than Colemans. I have picked up a couple of nice 8R's and a 99 over the past few years but that's been about it other than Coleman.

11. Knight84 Canada

Yeah I feel your pain... can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Coleman eh. :lol:

Jeff

12. DavidOR United States

yeah, and there's even rumors that they breed in wherever you store them! :-k

13. Lance United States

That is not just a rumor but verified fact. :oops: :oops: Without going into details i've inadvertently witnessed such dispicable action. The buggers have action which it's truely shamefull to witness, and were i not such a gentleman i'd share with you a full report of the behavour. [-X [-X For now, let it be known, there is no protecting your household from such outragious actions. :whistle: :whistle:

lance

14. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

I thank moonwalker for posting this example of year 1950 No.530, and sshhh, myself I want to just add some content to his reference post.
    When I pursue a stove model I research it before buying one ...my first one of that model :content:. Re 530, it is a post WW2 civilian only model of pocket stove / GI stove, the clearly labeled A46, B46, A47, B47 made in USA, are quite common (in US). Researching I read [530] "made '46-'49" well if you are reading this you've found this 1950 example updates that well intended previous info.
    I will add content: the year stamp is not clear above, fyi there are examples stamped 1 50 made in Canada.
    As per a post I also read "48 and later were only made/sold in Canada"
    i see no reason to doubt it, I've not seen a 47 or earlier Canada example nor 48-51? US example.
    I do not know all the Canada year stamps (possibly only: 1 48, 1 49, 1 50 and 1 51?), nor do i know when 530 production ended. I seek a Canada version and while searching I have for years now checked many examples online. The oldest I'm aware of is a 7 51 (i did not win, it was long ago). I thought it was a 7, maybe "7" is not valid and it is a 1 that looked like a 7 to me? here it is
    s-l1600_opt.jpg
    thx omc
    tag @Giri credit @Murph
    PS under TMI I've seen brass versions, my thought, these were originally the typical nickel plated and the plating was later removed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  15. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@OMC
    It's not the case that Canadian 530's were manufactured no earlier than 1948. The evidence is HERE - my 530 in the Stove Reference Gallery.

IMG_3210.JPG

16. Giri

Giri Canada Subscriber

The Terrence Marsh Lantern Gallery (and stoves) states the Canadian Model 530 was made 1947-1951.
    The USA 530 only 1946 and 1947.

I suspect that with many Coleman 520 or M1942 stoves surplus after the war, that the 530 probably did not sell as well in the USA.

I do not believe smaller gas stoves were issued to Canadian troops...some mechanized units had the Coleman 500. So, no surplus small stoves.

I believe my Canadian 530 is from 1950, I'll have to take it out tomorrow to confirm.

17. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

The other problem was the 520 was a MUCH better stove, overall. It had legs, so it wasn't prone to tip over like a 530, the burner had a preheat cup and shielding against the wind, whereas the 530 had none of that. Add in the storage tube with the extra generator and other parts, which the 530 lacked and it was a easy decision, the 520 won, hands down. The nickel plating wasn't a plus, either, shiny things and the outdoors don't go together real well.

I own both, and the advantages make a BIG difference, to the point where I put a M1950 preheat cup on my 530.

Murph

18. motrhead Canada

I found a nice Canadian model with 2 47. This will be my new truck stove once I find a soft bag for it...too pretty to let it get beat up!

Haven't been here for a while, in fact my profile claims I joined in '15, which is a half dozen years out...lol