1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 533 - transitional model, Deluxe Sportster II

Discussion in 'Coleman No:533' started by presscall, Mar 29, 2015.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

It's labelled as a model 533 but as a 1996 production it's post Sportster (model 502) and before the later 533 (Dual Fuel)

1427663790-1.JPG

1427663800-7.JPG

1427663809-2.JPG

Transitional model as I say, and it retains a control wheel as in the Sportster 502 but combines the fuel/air and fuel regulation of the 502 control wheel with a pricker wire control. So, no separate pricker lever (502) but one control to do everything as in the Dual Fuel 533, which has a lever instead of a control wheel

1427663819-3.JPG

1427663829-4.JPG

All the text instructions are in Japanese on this particular example

1427663840-5.JPG

A February 1996 production

1427663850-6.JPG

From the left, 502 (1979), Sportster II (1996), Dual Fuel 533 (2002)

1427663862-8.JPG

Fuelling up and pressurising the tank nothing emerged at the burner. Jet was clogged and the absence of a pricker wire didn't help.

Regardless of the clogged jet the generator wasn't in bad shape and wasn't choked with fuel deposits, so I decided to make a new pricker wire. An acoustic guitar steel upper E string (0.23mm gauge - I use short lengths of it to restore prickers for the finer jet stoves) served

1427663872-9.JPG

Small gauge brass tubing was used to create the fixing at the regulator control end. The right-angle bend formed in it anchors the wire securely

1427663883-10.JPG

Works well. Starting was typically Coleman, which is to say flare-free, and it settled down to a steady flame. Simmering setting is a bit fiddly to achieve without dowsing the flame altogether and I'll be removing the fuel/air tube to examine it and see if there's any servicing that can be done on it to get a more reliable simmer setting

1427663895-11.JPG

1427663918-IMGP2311.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Nice one John. That's pretty cool to get a Japanese market 533. Anything Japanese Coleman is very hard to come by. Looks like it ended up in the right hands.

sam

3. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Excellent find john a rare and unique 533, I must admit I do like the control wheel on this model, compared to the levers on all later models.

brilliant work on the cleaning wire on the generator, I must remember to buy that gauge guitar string, as that gauge pricker is less common than the 0.32 pricker which I have loads of, but only a couple of the 0.23 I can make a few up this is the correct gauge for a half pint blowlamp.

4. presscall

Hi Brian

'Superlight' electric guitar E-string should get you a steel wire of 0.009 inch diameter (0.23millimetres). At least one manufacturer coats their strings with a polymer to resist tarnishing from acids in finger tips in use - said to prevent a loss of tone due to tarnishing. I tend to avoid those and go for ones without the plastic coating, but tolerate ones with a nickel coating, which I'm sure must be ultra-thin and won't affect the effectiveness of the pricker if it wears off in use, as I'm sure it does.

I've not yet bothered to track down a source of stainless steel wire of an exact enough dimension, but it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't coils of the stuff in stock somewhere. It'd be ideal.

John

5. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Thank you John I did buy some stainless steel wire on the bay of 0.32 and .23 not guitar wire, i don't know what I did with it I lost it some where.

6. presscall

Yeah, I guessed it exists, it's just that it amuses me to do something as clever with guitar strings as Eric Clapton - in a much more modest context, I'll grant.

John

7. Stuart2016 United Kingdom

Hi I have just seen this as I have just come across the same model and in really good condition I do a lot of fishing and will be us ring mine for them cold nights for a hot cupppa how is it to clean the jets

8. presscall

@Stuart2016
    I see you've sent me a 'Conversation' message as well so I've replied to that.

9. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hi John,

Just thought you might be interested in my findings.
    I found SS Wire in both 0.009" or real close to 0.23mm and 0.012" or 0.3048mm on Amazon. I also found SS wire on eBay but Amazon is much cheaper. Granted both are slightly smaller in diameter then the jet orifice but I have found the jet wears faster with the use of a pricker that is same size as the jet orifice. I found this SS wire on Amazon here in the USA. I did look for it on Amazon UK but didn't have much luck finding it, but I may not have put the right search into the UK Amazon.
    Just thought you might be interested. Here are the links.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Unp...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Unp...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cheers,
    Norman

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  10. presscall