1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman 550B

Discussion in 'Coleman No:550' started by Archivist2, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Archivist2 Pre-launch content poster

Courtesy Iain Perkin

1216371678-coleman_550b_1.jpg 1216371690-coleman_550b_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. rogerzilla

I think it's the best of the current Coleman stoves. It has the best valve (simmers like no other), the best windshield, the best burner (a non-perforated bowl for pre-heating or to catch flooding), it's multi-fuel, it has a levelling feature and it's about the right size. Often available cheaply as army surplus.

3. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

I agree, they're very nice, but they have one problem...

The valve knob gets very hot, and can be a challenge if you have big hands...

Some folks make a extension out of a bit of metal tubing, keeps the pinkies from turning red!
    I have two, the silver and a bronze colored one. :thumbup:

4. rogerzilla

I agree, it can burn your thumb until you get used to it.

I also have two - one runs on Coleman fuel and one runs on white spirit (kerosene).

5. dougwalkabout

I still have one of those 550s kicking around. Good stove. It cooked a lot of wilderness meals for me. Mine is the Canadian version, with labels in English and French.

I was going to toss it (it's rather the worse for wear) but last winter I decided to fire it up for nostalgic reasons. And it went! I need to fix the pot support, which is rather mangled, and re-goop a couple of connectors.

I may convert it to kerosene for laughs. Pretty sure I still have the generator (pack rat syndrome, you know).

-Doug