Coleman Fuel or White Spirits???

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Nzoomed, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Nzoomed

:? Are they the same thing? or does coleman fuel burn hotter and cleaner, ive only tried white spirits, which is far cheaper than coleman fuel, but im wanting to know if people have had same results with both of them, my 8r hunter works well, but if coleman fuel works better, i will use that in my 8r, as mine burns a little black with soot buildup, if i can eliminate that with coleman fuel, ill be happy

2. Lance

Lance Subscriber

What you might try if you are dissatisified with the performance of white spirits is to mix them about 50 50. i'm not sure what white spirits is in NZ but here it is a very fine grade of kerosene, which has been sucessfully used by a couple of members as a "cut" for use in their kerosene lamps and lanterns.

There is a page here which speeks about the different fuels and their names from around the world and you might look for it in the fettleing forum

lance

3. Nzoomed

:D white spirits is usually called here by the names of sheltete, feulite and pegasol AA. its all the same stuff - Pure white gasoline. However on a bottle of coleman fuel it says its a mixture of some hydrocarbons, and i forgot to take note of them, so i think its a mixture of white spirits and other liquid fuels, i wouldnt want to mix with kerosine, as my stove doesnt run on it, thanks for your help, and id be interested to see what i hear from others.

4. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Its been determined that Shellite is for all practical purposes identical to Coleman fuel. Coleman fuel is also referred to in the US as Camp Fuel, White Gas, Blaz-O, Ozark Trails camp fuel (Wal-Mart house brand) and Petroleum Naptha plus other names. In the UK many of our members use "Panel Wipe" in lieu of Coleman fuel as it can be half or less the price and works every bit as well.

I hope this is helpful.

Gerry

5. Brass monkey

Brass monkey Subscriber

I wouldn't spend the extra $ on coleman fuel, white spirits the same thing. If you go through a bit you could probably track down 20 litre drum of white spirits for much cheaper $/litre. The last time i brought a drum it cost $2.50 per litre, probably more now though. Been getting through it over last 5 years or so havn't noticed any deterioration over that time.

6. Nzoomed

and welcome to classic campstoves! i know you from trademe too, so its great to see more newzealanders on here. there is a place in tauranga that sells 1 litre bottles of it for 2.50, branded pegasol AA.

7. nzmike

$2.50 is a bargain, I'd buy 10 just on the strength of it! I usually pay $4-6 for Shellite or sim from the local servos. A liter lasts me awhile, I save it for actual camp/day trip type action, for just titting about in the garage I generally used 91 unleaded. A bit yellowish to burn with a slight but noticeable soot content but seems to go ok. If all else fails I'll use 35:1 lawn mower mix, I aint proud. :lol: Mostly I use kero anyhow.

8. Nzoomed

so you dont find that coleman fuel burns any cleaner? my 8r leaves a little black soot, which i was thinking that coleman fuel may not, after reading the lebel, it is a mixture of at least two different hydrocarbons, which i am not sure if white spirits is, different brands could be better too, so i am suspecting that coleman fuel may burn hotter and/or cleaner, thanks for any more advice.

9. barrabruce

Think your stove is burning rich or not hot enough.
    More than the fuel.

Try levering up the top plate a nats wisker!! Srewing up the burner half a turn or so has simular but not the same effect.

Barra

10. reggas

I occationally have a little soot when burning Coleman fuel in my 8R, the reasons seem to vary (wind, rain, underpriming, alcohol comsumption, who knows). If the white spririt is produceing a nice blue flame under most conditions for you, I'd stick with what you are using.

11. Nzoomed

my stove burns quite blue, but does have a little orange at the top, ill experiment different fuels anyway, and see if turning it down slightly helps

12. alnl1996

2.50 a litre! Man were getting hosed up here in Canada :evil: . Coleman fuel costs $14.99 for one US gallon(3.78 litres) :cry: Sometimes i'm tempted to run my stoves on auto gas :?

Take care

13. spudz

At least you can buy the bloody stuff.
    Here in Pastaland not even the big hardware store that sells all the Coleman stuff stocks it. When I asked what I should use as a fuel, they told me "unleaded petrol". :cry: :cry:
    I've been searching for an alternative for almost 3 years now.

There are a number of Ecological petrols :-s :-s :-s distributed in the country

http://www.aspen.se/Aspen_(eng)_Aspen_Petroleum_Products_Environmental_fuel_DXNI-3328_.aspx] Aspen [/url] .... no idea why this won't work as a link

Wladoil
    and
    Stihl 4T Motoplus

... but as yet I have not found anyone willing to sell me any. Typical pasta business mentality.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  14. burnttoast

Spudz,

I got some Primus power fuel today. Tried it out and it burns good, so maybe you can find some there or online?

Coleman fuel 1L ? 4,25
    Primus 2.5L ? 6.95

At Globetrotter. Checked. Shipping to Italy ? 17.95 :shock: :x :evil:

alnl1996:

Even after you tack the G.S.T. + H.S.T. or B.S.T. onto the $14,99 it's still cheaper than here. About $23.62 here after taxes :shock: for 3,78L

Not knowing any better (before CCS) I used unleadded gasoline in Canada and didn't have any problems with the stove. Stay upwind.

Steven

15. Matukat

I feel REALLY stupid reading these hardships for fuel and pricing after complaining about the "high" prices on coleman,kero and whatever here in the states. I am still for finding the cheapest alternative way to burn.. going after some free chemicals in a few minutes. Maybe I'll be lucky and get something that will burn..... ;)

16. spudz

Yeah, I got that same quote from Globetrotter a few months back. Someday I'm going to find meself driving through Germany and plan on stocking up with the stuff, 'til then it's unleaded and plenty of ventilation!

At one point, this stuff looked interesting :
    DSCN3153.jpg

DSCN3151.jpg

but tests with an Optimus 80, Optimus 8R & Svea 123 failed to produce a successful vapourisation. :cry:

Works very well in paraffin stoves though :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. alnl1996

You made me feel better :D I also started using unleaded 87 octane gas with my Enders 9061 and it works great.Don't have to worry about a clogged jet because i have to raise the cleaning needle every time i have to put the stove away...

Take care

18. rik_uk3

An ex forum member sent me 10 litres of Primus Powerfuel from Germany (through the post :shock: ) burnt very well 8)

19. barrabruce

:idea: I've often thought of trying to distill petrol and take out the junk somehow .

As if you leave petrol in a small motor long enough it will evaporate and leave all the gummy stuff in the carby ..

Heating it in say a bucket of hot water ..heater pad etc..
    coils and cold water through condenser.

But I not know what temp or where the additives boil of at etc. etc..

But can't see it working without venting it to the air in the collection chamber...

Plus the BOOOM factor has always made my freckle twitch when the I awake from my day dreaming.

"Ol chicken sh... Barra

20. burnttoast

Sorry Spudz.

Thought Rik's idea was a good one. Had a look online at Deutsche Post. 10 Kg (10L) to Italy ? 21 :shock:

Geeeez! Going to have to look and see if there's a cheaper way (when my heartbeat returns to normal). Might be better to order a lifetime supply of the stuff and pay the ? 17.95. Why do Globetrotter "only" charge ? 10.50 to ship to G.B. and so much more to Italy?

http://www.globetrotter.de/index.php?GTID=a6ae86d7f63b451cd142c4986a64ecdba34

alnl1996:
    I've only used gasoline (unleaded, don't know the octane number) here until yesterday and have never had a problem with the Enders. With the Enders baby (no cleening needle) I just drop the jet into a bit of vinigar (spelling) and let it sit. My only reason for trying another fuel is because of the fumes.

Steven

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015