1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman Gemini Duel Fuel Stove

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by HunterStovie, Jan 30, 2016.

1. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

One of the problems with living only 20 minutes away from the Coleman Outlet Store. I found this sitting on the shelf and nobody wanted it. Now it lives with me. The extra generators I ordered from Coleman when the option was still available on their website. IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1170.JPG

2. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Never could see why these were not desirable.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@geeves
    I think it's the same reason the Coleman Fyrestorm didn't sell well, which you raised in this thread.

Erratic (meaning potential fireball) start-up fuelling from a pump equipped with a fuel/air mixing valve that can stick and mess up the fuelling unless scrupulously maintained.

image.jpg

image.jpg

John

4. HunterStovie

Too All,
    I was also gifted a Fyrestorm Ti inverted canister stand which uses the same connector and will allow this stove to run isobutene if I ever decide to fire it up. It also works on the Apollo stove which I have done.

5. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 Canada Subscriber

@HunterStovie

I also have the Gemini stove and it runs great on canister fuel. Sorry no pictures yet. I have the Fyrestorm, Apollo, Pulstar and all of these stoves run great on canister fuels. Somewhere among all of my photos I show them running on canister fuels just can't find them on this computer.

Cheers,
    Norman

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@teckguy_58
    Isobutane works of course Norman - I expect it would be possible to get a passable flame out of a tin can with holes punched in it as a burner on that fuel - but exploring my train of thought and Geeves' observation, the issue is how well have those stoves functioned (particularly in the start-up phase) on white gasoline?

John

7. teckguy_58

@presscall
    Hi John,

You are correct these stoves don't start well on a Coleman type fuel. I suppose if one was to use say a butane torch lighter to preheat the generator the would fire up without the typical fireball, but one would have to preheat the generators one at a time.

Cheers,
    Norman

8. HunterStovie

@techguy_58
    Have you ever tried priming yours with meths? Either around the burner or down the air inlet. Seems mine always flooded into that lower chamber. Which is why I kind of gave up on this design. It was just too cranky to get running. Coleman's from that era seemed to be overly complicated in their design.

Mike

9. teckguy_58

@HunterStovie

Hi Mike,

To answer you question, no I haven't tried alcohol mostly because there is not good way to use alcohol. I did try using my butane torch lighter with good results. You really do need to preheat the generators before opening the valve to let the fuel go to the burner or as you already know there will be a very nice fireball. Yes, quite exciting for the guest in your camp or at home. The only problem with doing the preheat the way I have suggested is you can only preheat one generator at a time, but once both are up and going you have a very nice cooker without all of the excitement involved.

Cheers,
    Norman

10. Rickybob United Kingdom

the jets seem to be upside down any one know why?

11. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

@Rickybob , It looks like the air inlets to the mixing chamber.

Alec.

12. teckguy_58

Hi,

Yes it does. The problem with Gemini stove is there is no way to avoid the fireball. Many have given up and either don't use the stove or some are preheating the generator before opening the fuel inlet valve. If I can find it I'm going to try preheating the burner with my Tilley preheating torch and it should heat the burner enough to vaporize the fuel before it hits the burner.
    s-l1000.jpg
    If you have two of these preheat torches one can preheat both burners at the same time. If I can find the one I have I will give it a go and report back as to whether it worked or not.

Cheers,
    Norman

13. teckguy_58

Hi,

I was able to find my Tilley preheater torch right where it was suppose to be and that is with my Tilley Lantern. I preheated and fired the stove with not flaring. I used the canister adapter for the test. This canister adapters will work with the Gemini, Pulstar, Apollo. The Denali stove has an canister adapter but it has a different way of connecting. Here are the results.
    DSC03362.JPG DSC03363.JPG DSC03364.JPG DSC03365.JPG DSC03366.JPG DSC03367.JPG DSC03369.JPG DSC03370.JPG DSC03371.JPG DSC03372.JPG DSC03373.JPG DSC03374.JPG

This is the first time I've run Coleman fuel with this stove.

The canister adapter is still available from Coleman. The canister adapter is a pricey item. The part #9775-5361.
    The Coleman link: http://www.coleman.com/product/9775-A25#.Vq6DdOak0cN

The Fyrestorm canister adapter will work for the Gemini, Apollo and Pulstar stoves.

Cheers,
    Norman

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016