1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman Model #1 -Divine Restoration

Discussion in 'Coleman No:1' started by hydro451, Jan 19, 2009.

1. hydro451

All of the following pictures and text are posted here with the expressed written permission of Joe Pagan - restoration expert and noted Coleman collector

" Up for auction is this Coleman Model 1 camp stove. This model is representative of the first model camp stove that Coleman made. While Coleman was not the first company to do so, they made the best one. This stove is circa 1924-1925. While this model first came out in 1923, I believe this one to be a later version. A fellow collector from Arizona, myself and Mr. Terry Marsh had quite a discussion and this collector had some very compelling arguments as to why mine was a later model. He was very persuasive and I had to concede the point. Mainly that mine is missing the special air valve above the air pump that was common to the early Model 1s with oven. This stove has been fully restored both cosmetically and mechanically. As you can see in the photos, it is absolutely stunning in appearance and fully functional. The generator I rebuilt with the help of some excellent detailed instructions sent to me by Warren Wright and Mr. Ronnie Hardison, known collectors in their own right. It was easier than it looked. I completely stripped this stove down to bare metal, re-painted and oven baked the finish, and I did a lot of detail work with the legs, latches, all brass lines, tank arms and burner caps by buffing them out and clear-coating them. Oven rack was frozen closed with rust and I spent a lot of time getting it all off, wire wheeling and buffing it out. Now it folds and unfolds too easy but it looks great. The burner assembly swings in and out for both storage purposes and to get it in the lighting position. For ease of movement, I placed nylon bushings under the linkage and now is so easy, you can virtually use your pinky to move the lever arm and it helps minimize any scratches from those same movements, which is common to this model. Tank stencil is from none other than Randall Adams of "Gas Pressure Appliance Decals". As you can see, it is a beautiful reproduction. It does have its flame spreader plate, not shown. It will also come with an original directions card. The card was actually ordered in 1932 by a previous owner and it came in a small manila envelope which has the old postmark, which is how I knew the year.

About a month and half went into the restoration of this stove. Many times I had to re-paint some panels due to some problems I had. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. Now, while this stove is fully restored, it is not without some flaws in the finish. I have shown this stove quite a few times and being handled quite often, removing it from its box and putting it back, it has gotten some paint chips here and there. Maybe it won't win any "Concours d'Elegance" of stoves, if there ever was any, it would definitely place! The only way one can get a stove in this condition is to find one that is NOS in its box and never used or shown. That's how beautiful this stove is. And I'm not really keen on selling this stove. This is my prize piece, out of all the many stoves and lanterns I have owned. That being said, it will not be let go cheap. There is a reserve and to some, may seem high. If it doesn't sell, it won't matter to me. If you want a gorgeous example of this model, be prepared to bid accordingly.

This stove is shown on a very well known pressure lantern website. Here is the link. When you click on the link, it is the first photo you see.

Terry Marsh's Site

Website link used with permission but in no way does Mr. Terry Marsh endorse this sale. He has personally helped me out on many matters with the identifying of lanterns and some stoves, has graciously put this stove on his site and I have a very high respect for him, what he knows and proud to have gotten to know him. Mr. Marsh, a heartfelt thank you. And a thank you as well to Randall Adams, Warren Wright and Ronnie Hardison. All of these people have had a part in this stove.

This stove would make an excellent addition to those who are into old stoves. An extremely rare piece of early Coleman appliances and certainly, a piece of early Americana. I would definitely like to see this stove go to someone who would really appreciate what it is and the effort I made into getting this stove in the condition that it is in. This stove can be a user as well, for those vintage camp-outs to go along with your Quicklite lanterns! "

1232381272-mod1a.jpg 1232381338-mod1b.jpg 1232381362-mod1c.jpg 1232381398-mod1d.jpg 1232381425-mod1e.jpg 1232381445-mod1f.jpg 1232381484-mod1g.jpg

2. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

The owner and restorer of this lovely earliest Coleman was forced by hard times to sell his collection. The members of the Coleman Collectors Club took up a collection and bought the stove on Ebay, and then then told the owner to keep the stove!
    Way to go, Guys !!!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi all: I am so happy to hear Joe was able to keep this stove, my hats off to the Coleman collectors club. This stove is an exquisite example of the Coleman #1. I am the Arizona collector Joe spoke of. If you look at post of "Coleman their very first stove" in reference gallery you can see and read some of the info Joe spoke.( Thanks to Doc for posting it.) Mike... ( P.S. I am now embarrassed by the condition of my stove; but remember it is used on a regular basis)

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Subscriber

Excellent! :thumbup:

I'd like to think CCS would be able to do this sort of thing should the need ever arise...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Lance United States

"Ditto"

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. hydro451

Mike, sorry for the delayed response

Joe would like to express his appreciation for your help on this stove and he said both him and Terry are grateful for your input and respect your advice very much

Tom

7. Vallhalla68

Fantastic stove. You have done a great job.
    I have a Coleman Model 1 Stove I would like to restore.
    Can you or anyone tell me how you painted the raised letters on the Coleman Name Plate?

8. coleman413c United States

Thank you, Vallhalla. The name plate was in good shape to begin with, meaning the black background. And being as the plaque was brass to begin with, all I did was to use Brasso on the lettering to make it shine, along with the border then clear coated it.

Tank stencil I had it made special.

Joe

9. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi Vallhalla68: Chemically strip and clean label (do not sand, or use wire brush, steel wool or anything abrasive.). If label is bent or dented, when straightening be careful not to depress raised letters. Spray entire label with background color. Wait till paint is just beyond tacky but still soft. Gently scrape entire surface with wide razor blade spanning raised areas only. If there are some low ares you will have to do those areas separately with an Exacto type blade or if paint is soft enough a chisel shaped toothpick works well. Then let dry "thoroughly" and put a hint of brass polish on a piece of bed sheet type material. Stretch it over a small flat object and gently rub on label to polish. The eraser on the end of a pencil with a hint of polish on it works well too. Practice on a junk label as this is not easy. I have done many labels and every one is a challenge. If care and patience are taken the label will look as new. If you mess up strip and start over. Never press blade on the brass, you want to remove only paint and not put scratch marks on raised lettering. If you accidentally scrape into background, touch up by using a toothpick that has been sparingly dipped into background paint. Once thoroughly dry blend gently with paint polish. If the scrape/ blemish is large, you will have to start over. Mike...

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Howdy, Flivver,

Great stuff, Mate!! As one who has more than a few old Coleman, and Prentis-Wabers, stoves to rebuild, this is outstanding information, Mike! Many thanks for sharing it with us. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. codemaster1

I just picked up a Coleman Camp Stove Model #1 in fair condition with oven only missing the grill. Any idea what it might be worth, it has the vent on the tank.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, Sir,

Well, unfortunately, we do not offer any information on value, mainly due to the fact that this market is more volatile than the Stock Market! ;) :lol: :lol: "One man's trash, is another man's treasure", as the old saying goes. More and more of the Coleman #1's are popping up all the time, and quite a few of us have them now. I, in fact, have two, one of which came to be free of charge! I didn't pay too much for the other one, so that can show you what they sometimes "go for" in the open market. If you wish sell it, please list it on eBay, and whatever price you end up gaining is the "value" of your stove on that particular day, for that particular buyer. Nothing more, nothing less, I'm afraid. Good luck on your sale, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc