1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman New Wind Screen

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by Giri, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Giri

Giri Canada Subscriber

From Japan

The Coleman New Wind Screen.

shield1.jpg

Folds down to a compact size.
    It's main selling point I think.

shield7.jpg

A little smaller than the Sigg Tourist wind screen.
    Alas, the larger Sigg Tourist pot does not fit within the Coleman screen and the smaller pot is form fitting.
    shield2.jpg

shield3.jpg

shield4.jpg

shield5.jpg
    shield6.jpg

The Coleman screen is made of thin steel.
    Since it folds down - does not feel as solid as a Sigg screen.

My scale has it at 3.4 oz and the Sigg screen at 4.0 oz

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

US$34.50 from a Japanese supplier on ebay I see, free shipping slow mail.

Too close-fitting a pot base to a windscreen disrupts proper combustion of course.

I'm not sure I'd find a lot of use for it that a separate windshield couldn't fulfil at much less cost, but @Giri is in a prime position to explore by using it and reporting back - please.

John

3. Orchid Canada

I got one of these a while back from Rakuten Ichiba AXIA SPORTS for about $25 USD or $32 CAD including shipping and it arrived within four days. I think it's a great windscreen for when you want to be a little more compact than a Sigg kit and maybe just pack the windscreen and a single pot that fits. It's a little flimsy but lightweight and pretty cool. My only critique is that it comes apart at the securing mechanism sometimes and that it butterflies/diamonds out with very little force. With careful use it's good though. I took it on a couple trips and am seeing some discoloration in spots - some are shiny and some are matte.

4. Quartermaster James United States

Well, jiminies! First off: Howdy! And thank you for all the help I gleaned here towards maintaining my Coleman 550B. Second: I signed up to post about just this windscreen, and now I found it already here. Looks like most points have been covered already. Let me just add that this windscreen is made of steel, not aluminum. I just received mine and will be firing up the stove to test it out tomorrow. Also, the larger (2L) of the Stanley brand pots fits in with about 1/8"-3/16" clearance all around. Is that too close for proper combustion? Thanks again for all the help!

5. Quartermaster James United States

Okay, so far so good. Today averaged around 10F.

This first photo is of the windscreen on the 550B using the smaller pot of the Stanley two pot set.

As I have just replaced o-rings (had a problem with the seals over Thanksgiving) I wanted to test the cold weather performance. I put a liter of water in the pot, and then left the whole rig outside a few hours until a sheet of ice had formed over the water. Fired up the stove, and had boiling water in about twelve minutes.

Pic1.jpg

Then I filled up the larger pot with two liters of water from the tap and set it to boil.
    Here's a picture showing the fit and clearance. This took about seventeen minutes to come to a boil.

Pic2.jpg
    [​IMG]