1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coleman No:530

Discussion in 'Coleman No:530 'GI'' started by Archivist5, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Archivist5 Pre Launch Tester & Mod

Courtesy of Mike Morgan

1216233011-001.jpg 1216233016-002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi: The 520 was GI, the 530 was a civilian stove made '46-'49 (post war). It was used by the military in Korea but was not a military contract or GI stove. The M'50 or Coleman 536 was the next military contract (GI) model. In ads, Coleman did refer to it as a "GI pocket" model to boost sales because it resembled the 520 but it was not a military contract stove. Mike...

3. kellyblues

Ok…let’s start from the top.
    1941 the US Military contracted Coleman to make a stove. The 520 was born and 1000 where made. The 1941 520 was the only 520 that was only made for the military. The other years 42, 43, 44 and 45 where made different companies including Coleman. All under government contract. Those where made for civil service/defense. Some did go to military branches and did go to Korea and left over surplus went to Vietnam. None of the 520’s where made for sale specifically to the private sector.

From the 520 the 530 was born.

The 530 was made in the USA in 1946 and 1947. The 530 was also made in Canada through 1951. It was made primarily for the government but was not restricted from private sector sales. So Coleman did market it and well for a camping stove using the experience of Gi’s that had used it. So the 530 was a Military contract stove and a public stove also.

The M1942 stove was a Proto type idea that was a joint venture between Aladdin, Coleman and AGM. It was this stove the M1950 came from.

The M1950 or 536 stoves was made by many companies from 1943 to 1986. All of the M1950 stove where Government contract stoves.

Kelly

4. Littledre United Kingdom

Kellyblues said
    Do the 42 to 45 520s show what company made them and was they all identical.
    Dre.

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Interesting & welcome info from Flivver & Kellyblues & I wasn't aware that the 530 was also a military stove. I doesn't seem as well suited to military use as the 520.

As for the term 'GI' - that's not the sort of handle the military are going to officially tag to a stove model. Coleman did however do that for the civilian 530, probably as a nod to it's origins & to add kudos. The handbook for the stove refers to the stove as the 'GI' stove although it I accept it is more commonly referred to as the 'Pocket Stove'.

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/242

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Spiritburner

I had though the 520 was Colemans model number for the M1941. Does this mean there is a difference between a 520 & M1941? 520 for civil service/defence from 42-45 & the M1941 for military? My understanding is that the M1941 was the famous 'Ernie Pyle' stove & these are common in Europe due to their wide usage in the WWII.

7. Matukat United States

Coleman ad ( should further help make things clear as mud... or maybe not. :) )
    I lifted this off of the web sometime ago, and it is only loading as a "thumbnail". It says "over a million" went to war.

edit- it does get bigger if you click the pic...

More edit-

If you look at this page from Old Town, under "Coleman and Friends go to war" It shows a 520 and a 521. Under "One Lung Wonders" it shows a 530. It looks like there are differences.
    Old Town Yucca

Sorry, went sideways there on the 530, but it appears to be what is being called a 520 sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. kellyblues

All the stoves will be to the specs of the contract for that year. They change a bit from year to year. The makers will be stamped on the stove

9. flivver

Hi all: Let see if I can manage to confuse us some more. First the "M" Plus a date signifies a military contract, in war time many company's would manufacture contract stoves to meet supply demand. "520" is strictly a Coleman designation and was also made for the military under contract. The Coleman 530 was produced after the war contract expired. Yes it was purchased in large numbers by several governments for government use. To my knowledge it was never purchased under "military" contract and that is according to Coleman. If anyone knows otherwise please post "military" P.O. for 530. Mike... P.S. I am speaking of U.S. military.

10. kellyblues

I have done extensive research on these stoves. I have talked to people ranging from 2 star Generals to military historians within the Us Government. There is one thing I learned early on. There is plenty of literature on a lot of these stoves but some of it contradicts another one. The information I have is what I have compiled through the years. Some of my findings have been the base of the information that you will find on different sits on the web.

I am in the process of doing research on the 523 stoves at the moment

Ross.......The M1941 stove is a wood burning tent stove. The M1942 is a gas pressured field stove. There is a big difference. Here is a picture of a M1942 stove.

1421930211-Picture.jpg

The M1942 was the father of the M1950.

Now the first " Ernie Pyle " stove was a 520. I need to word this so everyone will understand. The only nickle tank 4 leg 520 was the 1941 520. That is the stove you see with him in most of the pictures of him. With 1 exception. Coleman made a 1942 nickel tank 3 leg 520 just for Ernie Pyle. He used it just before his death. That stove was stolen out of the Ernie Pyle Museum in Dana Indiana and has not been seen since.

Matukat.......The 521 is a different animal all together. It has a 520 burner on top of a large fount. there was a line of stoves like this.

Kelly

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  11. flivver

Hi all: I agree with Kellyblues a 100%. Concerning the 530 I just wanted the difference known between a "government" buy or contract and a "military" or "G.I." contract. Mike...(is the water muddy enough know)

12. Spiritburner

Matukat - that ad is just the standard Coleman sales theme selling the yet to be launched civilian 530 on the back of the wartime version.

AS flivver states the 530 was post war production, despite it's 'GI' marketing tag. I'm certainly not confusing it with the 520. Kelly mentions the 530 was primarily made for the (US?) government rather than the civilian market which suprised me - you'd think they had enough stoves left over from the war! What sort of departments would that be - disaster aid, forestry etc?

I'm still confused re the 520 & M1941. Is the 520 a M1941? If not, what is a M1941?

13. Spiritburner

Our posts crossed - I don't have my pics to hand for reference. Maybe I'm thinking of a M1942 - I can't see your picture. Photo bucket isn't permitted in the Reference Galleries & pics hosted there won't show.

I have one the same as this post:
    http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/607
    This post maybe mistitled but I do notice the spares envelope has parts for gasoline burner M1941 & M1942. Was there a gasoline option for the wood-burner?

14. flivver

Hi Ross: The 530 was a civilian stove sold to the government ,not made for the government. No the 520 is not an M1941 see Kellyblues post above, Mike...

15. Spiritburner

Just going on what Kelly said ie - made

I got the address of kelly's pic via edit. Should of recognised it straight away:
    http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/511

Ok - re the M1941 I'll have to wait until later to check my files to see where I'm getting confused. I thought M1941 referred to several different items of military kit :oops:

In the meantime if 520 was a Coleman model number what was the military model number for the Ernie Pyle stove? M something?

I'm still baffled why these turn up so often in Europe & feature in films like band of brothers etc & so many Coleman ads if they only made a 1000 for military use in 1942?

16. Matukat United States

Not to contradict you Kelly... ( although it does... :roll: ;) ) I did an image search on "Coleman m1941 stove" and got this:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1263&mode=linear

Some folks think a 520 is an m1941 for some reason.
    I think there had to be at least a hundred thousand stoves sent to the different branches of the military...( Just an "educated" guess...we won't qualify just how educated I might be... :lol: :lol: ) It just seems like there had to be tons of them. Stands to reason....etc. blah, blah. Not just the 520, but I mean over all and all the companies of course.
    Going to go try and find some more info....
    Kelly, I accept your research and conclusions, just wondering where all the confusion comes in...I.E. that link I just posted. I have seen the m1941 woodstove designations on the web too...
    Best,
    Randy

edit- this one too-

http://wing.chez-alice.fr/USA/US_messgear.html

Same website, the enlarged pic clearly shows the military designation of "M1941" on the box WITH ( CORRECTION ) an AGM gas stove!!!!! ( it has COLEMAN INSTRUCTIONS !!?!?!? )
    http://wing.chez-alice.fr/USA/US_messgear.html

From Coleman's website- Coleman says the number was 5,000 stoves in 1942-
    http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/tales_062.asp

They credit Clarence Coleman with "ramping up production"
    Best,
    Befuddled Randy

Last EDIT!!! Ross, the link to Coleman history (the last edit...) says that over a million were produced. So, not just hyperbole or puffery.

17. Spiritburner

Seems to be a lot of confusion on the web. I see lots of reference to the M1941 stove (of which the 520 seems to be the Coleman version or 'original').

There is also a M1950 wood burner stove or should I say 'Heater, Space (Yukon M-1950)!! Yikes - it doesn't make it easy does it? I can find reference to M1941 bayonets, guns, jackets, hats, packs!!

There must be a M1941 stove that burns gasoline as there is parts shown for one in the gallery & I have the same parts envelope here - unless as I suggested the M1941 wood burner had a gasoline option. That doesn't seem likely but I'll leave that to the US milspec stove experts to enlighten us.

Some nice 520's on Terry Marsh's site (need to scroll down) including one from 1941.
    http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/colestovespre1945.html

All the other stuff points to 1942 - even the Coleman website but as Kelly says there are contradictions. 42 may be the year they started production in earnest after the 41 models were approved? Dunno.

From fundinguniverse.com

From Colemans site

Matukat - the one on your link is like mine. Mines a Coleman made version marked 1943.

1234205809-usmil1.jpg

18. Spiritburner

Matukat - another crossed post! So there was a M1941. If you click on the parts packet in your link it mentions M1941 one burner stove & M1942 two burner stove.

The M1942 is also the tag given to the Mountain Troop stove - no wonder there is confusion.

At least when I fettle MY M1941 I know to use gasoline - not wood :lol: ;)

19. Spiritburner

Yep - the little manual with mine is definetly aimed at troops judging by the illustrations. I like the line "The Gasoline Stove you have just received is the finest of its kind in the world. It is the envy of your enemy as well as your allies."

20. kellyblues

you guys are missing it........the first 520 is the year 1941...not 42 1942 was the first mass year they where made by the 10,000's and more.

The M1941 had a kerosene option.

The mountian topp stove is the 1941 520 and there is no M in the number...It's a 1941 520 stove.....no "M"

I will start over again...